DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Zoom just got faster... then stops (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/520271-zoom-just-got-faster-then-stops.html)

Martyn Moore November 25th, 2013 01:24 PM

Zoom just got faster... then stops

I noticed a strange change in the behaviour of the standard zoom today.

From the wide end (Z00) to around Z16 it zooms much faster than it ever did. I can also hear the motor whirring more loudly.

Then somewhere between Z13 and Z20 it stops dead and I have to release the rocker and apply it again to zoom the rest of the range, through to Z99.

As someone who has previously complained about the slow speed of the zoom, you'd think I'd be delighted at the lens's sudden turn of speed, but this is too fast and can't be slowed using the variable zoom speed setting.

For what it's worth, fixed zoom speed mode zips it out to Z20 before it stops, variable zoom speed mode zips it to between Z13 and Z20 depending on how far I've pressed the rocker. In each case, after releasing the rocker, the control behaves normally through the rest of the lens's zoom range.

I've tried cleaning the contacts on the lens. No change.

Marlon Martins November 25th, 2013 02:57 PM

Re: Zoom just got faster... then stops

got that too. no fix. maybe firmware update...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...ml#post1795099

Martyn Moore November 26th, 2013 02:36 AM

Sorry to hear you've got the same problem, Marlon. I missed your earlier thread.

I'm waiting to hear from Sony Prime Support.

I do very slow zooms during sensitive documentary interviews and it's no longer possible between Z00 and Z20. Very frustrating.

Marlon Martins November 26th, 2013 09:53 AM

i posted a video a while ago:

at the end, i was doing a slow "zoom in" , but as mentioned, it just "jump and stop."

Marlon Martins November 26th, 2013 11:34 AM

uh, one thing, if they fix it, please, ask detailed info on the problem.

we don't have prime support in brazil (barely support at all) so, if i know where the problem is, can help me fix it here ;)

Steven Digges November 26th, 2013 06:34 PM

Marlon,

Is your warranty still in effect? You can't live with that. It looks like a factory repair to me. And I know from experience you get very little, if any information back from a manufacturer after a repair. It is usually two words on an invoice.

The good news is the EA50 is supported by Sony's pro division instead of the consumer division. That means if you look hard enough you can find a tech support phone number with guys that will talk to you before you send it in. I have had better luck on the phone than e-mail. I hope that works where you guys are at.

Please let us know what you find out.

Steve

Marlon Martins November 26th, 2013 07:12 PM

well, my problem appears just sometimes, so its not a "show stopper", i use zoom most of the time to compose, not to make a smooth zoom on a scene.

the problems with support (i got 1 year warranty) is that it will take AGES for them to fix it, and not worth not have her for a while to fix it. i prefer have them fixed in a local authorized support than using the warranty.

and knowing where the problem is, can help ;)

Martyn Moore November 27th, 2013 04:51 AM

I'm thinking the problem is maybe with the lens itself - something to do with the motor or drive mechanism, perhaps. I need to find a store that has the lens in stock and will be prepared to let me try it.

But where did all the stores go?

I'm hoping to persuade Prime Support to lend me a lens while mine is fixed, if that turns out to be the problem. I can use my other lenses, too. I really don't want to return the camera if I can help it.

I sometimes think an occasional problem is worse than a persistent one. Mine does this all the time now so I know I can work around it by composing like you.

The big problem I have is with my documentary interviews. When interviewing people who are talking about personal difficulties, my style is to do a very slow zoom as they get to the most emotional part of their story. That is not possible with this fault.

I got an email from Prime Support yesterday saying that they have got my message and that someone will call me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Martyn Moore November 27th, 2013 08:28 AM

OK, just got off the phone to Michael at Sony Prime Support. Very nice, helpful guy.

Sony is sending a box for my camera tomorrow and it will be shipped back to them. If they keep it longer than seven working days (all my days are working days but this is about their working days) I will be sent a loan camera.

IMPORTANT ADVICE. He said do not try somebody else's lens on my camera. It could be a fault with the lens and the replacement may work fine BUT the problem could be with the supply of power to the lens mount contacts and I may damage the other lens as well.

Michael thinks he knows what the problem might be, but as Steven suggested, he wasn't giving much away on the phone. He still thinks it's to do with the rocker switches (the fault occurs using both rockers) and the way the signal is sent to the lens contacts (so the power/signal sent from the rockers rather than the physical switches themselves).

He also said that a firmware version update (I'm still on V1) would not fix this problem.

Sorry Marlon. Not much help there. Maybe Sony will tell me more after the repair.

Steven Digges November 27th, 2013 09:22 AM

Interesting. When I had problems with my camera it was a power supply issue too. My kit lens always has worked. I had problems with the Sony LA-E2 lens adapter (A-Mount) and my Metabones adapter being powered properly. When I got the camera back from Sony repair all it said on the paper work is "repaired power issue".

Steve

Martyn Moore March 12th, 2014 05:05 AM

Apologies for belated update. This turned out to be a fault with the lens. The camera was away with Sony Prime Support for about two weeks and they loaned me another after the first week, which I was very impressed with.

On its return, my camera was sporting a replacement lens but no information about the nature of the fault or what might have caused it.

Sony Prime Support did make a follow-up call to make sure I was happy with the outcome. I asked what might have caused the problem and told them I regularly switch from auto to manual focus AND zooming, and use a Novoflex adaptor with several Nikon prime lenses. Predictably, Sony said none of this should have caused a problem with the kit lens.

I am very careful not to adjust the zoom manually with the servo engaged.