Matte box - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Matte box

still in the search for a mattebox. Nobody has a mattebox on the NEX-EA50?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:40 PM   #17
Inner Circle

The first review I watched from the Scottish guy on HD Warrior actually had rails and a matte box on the test camera!

HD Warrior Blog Archiv Review of the Sony NEX-EA50 camcorder

Maybe someone can figure out which mattebox and rails are being use here ...they might say in the video as I didn't watch the whole thing again and it was a long time ago I originally watched it.

It does look quite cool !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The first review I watched from the Scottish guy on HD Warrior actually had rails and a matte box on the test camera!
That's definitely a Genustech matte box. Looks like the DSLR or PV matte box kit.

I use the 'Genustech Matte Box Lite Kit' on my VG30 with the Samyang 24, 16, and 85.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
still in the search for a mattebox. Nobody has a mattebox on the NEX-EA50?
pimp shot just for you :)
Attached Thumbnails
Matte box-rb1_3832-web-.jpg  
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:48 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Nice Ray

You have me now hankering after a matte box for my cameras! The only issue there is that the rails block the shoulder pad so you can't use the camera on your shoulder ! What people make a matte with rails that don't protrude back into the shoulder pad?? Do those exist? I know on my Panasonics I had to make my own rails that stopped just short of the shoulder pad.

Who makes the one on your camera?

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Thank you so much Lee! Great setup. I think the kamerar mattebox in your setup?
Like Chris said: with these rails you can't use the shoulderpad from this camera.

There are rails that allows you to use the shoulderpad with the NEX-EA50. Example link below

Miller Canada

You always shoot with tripod Lee?
Because I wanted to ask you how it was "handheld" filming with rail and mattebox? The weight,...
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The longer rails were there to hold a battery and wireless transmitter (not shown) while it was on the tripod (cam A for an interview) if I was going to use it on my shoulder I could have removed the rear (black) rods and kept the front (silver rods)

The matte box is from Kamerar and the only reason I bought it was because I only have one variable ND and I already own a good set of 4x4 ND filters. The matte box works well, nice and solid once its mounted but it is really big. Honestly I would really like to get the Genustech but cant justify $500-600 for a plastic box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Nice Ray

You have me now hankering after a matte box for my cameras! The only issue there is that the rails block the shoulder pad so you can't use the camera on your shoulder ! What people make a matte with rails that don't protrude back into the shoulder pad?? Do those exist? I know on my Panasonics I had to make my own rails that stopped just short of the shoulder pad.

Who makes the one on your camera?

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Short 15mm rods and a counter weight is all it takes

I dont use the Vocus weight I mount an Ebay cheese plate with a weight out from the shoulder pad and I am all set

Its a Kamerar matte box, fits well, nice and solid without being heavy... good stuff just really big (I will take some more photos latter to day)
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #24
Major Player

thanks Ray for your time! I'm looking forward to your pictures.

Doesn't block the french flag of the kamerar mattebox the microphone? Or show this in a picture please.

thx again.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM   #25
Trustee

Guys....... I can't make the jokes I want to make because they might be taken the wrong way. I am getting a kick out of this thread. And come on Chris, you are always a voice of reason and now you jumped the fence here.....you started out saying "I don't think you need one" now it's "I am getting a hankering for a matte box"....:) ;) :) I think someone is suffering from lens envy!

Tom, all jokes aside. I am not sure you understand what you are getting into here. You may be disappointed after you spend the money. Your asking about flags blocking on camera mics and rails blocking the shoulder pad. Matte boxes are a specialty accessory that serve a good purpose. They are not something that is attached to a camera left on to be used in run & gun shoulder type coverage. You would find it very difficult to support the camera and operate the focus wheel at the same time. They are almost always used with a tripod for precision focus (assuming you get the whole set up, box, rails, focus assembly). And by the time you have gone that far with light control, filters, and follow focus it would be unlikely that someone would be using stock on camera mics. What started out here as a way for you to "pimp" out your camera and make it look cool could end up looking very amateurish to a trained eye when not used properly.

That same money could be used to purchase other things that look good and ad great functionality. Do you have a shotgun mic that is better that the stock mic? When I am working with an audio guy crowds practically part for us when they see two guys coming and one of them has a microphone on a pole. When I am not using my audio guy the Sennheiser ME66 goes on the EA50 for run & gun. The ME 66 is not an expensive mic but it is a huge improvement in sound quality over the stock mic. Throw a dead cat on it and your totally pimped out. It would then be wearing a FUR COAT!

Anyway, how things look is not my cup of tea. I am a pretty practical guy. So my 2 cents here is about....Are you spending money you will be happy with in the end? I'm not sure you will be. But.... what do I know...I am just a ........fill in your own blank ;)

Steve
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:37 PM   #26
Major Player

I think you will find the CAVision products are far better in quality than the ProAim/CineCity/Camtree crap from India.

That looks like a great price too.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:08 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Just having some fun really!! I sometimes get tired of being Mr Practical and like to get a bit funky but the bottom line is still really ..why do you need a matte box?? I certainly could never justify spending $500-$600 per camera on a plastic box either.

For me it would be purely to "look cool" and I don't need that although I can see the reason to pimp up a small camcorder when that's all you have and your client is expecting something large on your shoulder.

I don't have any 4x4 filters either so if I bought a matte box or two it would be purely a cosmetic exercise. Cripes for $1200 I can get some really nice lenses for the camera!!

So, Tom, do you really need a matte box? are you planning to use lots of 4x4 glass filters OR are you simply trying to make your EA-50 look more "cool" ?

Chris
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:12 PM   #28
Trustee

I know Chris, I was having fun too. $600.00 can get you a lot more than a plastic box!

It is kind of funny that Tom has Noa's EA50. Because Noa has the guts to show up and shoot the academy awards with a handycam if he had a choice! Tom, are you listening? I am not busting on you. Many of us in the EA50 sub forum are so regular here you feel like you get to know each other. I understand....each to their own. Size does matter!

Steve
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Photos so you can see just how large it is and with regular length 15mm rods
Attached Thumbnails
Matte box-rb1_9541.jpg   Matte box-rb1_9542.jpg  

Matte box-rb1_9540.jpg  
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks Ray

What I do is always use my shoulder pad so what I have is an aluminium plate screwed into the 1/4" holes in the top of the pad and that ends in a "T" piece past the shoulder pad and I have two receivers mounted on the T-piece plus for better weight distribution my on-cam light sits on the cold shoe but I have my light's battery pack at the end of the pad as well.

For long shoulder mount gigs I also have a DIY rail system that extends from the cam plate to the lens hood and that has a mini ball head under the camera hood which goes to a spring rod and a waist belt which takes all the weight off the front of the camera and still keeps things light! You need a fairly substantial weight to balance the camera's front-heavy scenario so I'd rather support the front than add weight to the back.

Here is a similar system and it's really rock steady for handheld shoots!! EngRig

Here is the post about the receiver/battery mount which both myself and Noa did ... http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...es-so-far.html

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)