Sony EA50 Picture Profile - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 7th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony EA50 Picture Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crook View Post
So I've been testing and trying out profiles for the EA50, including ones made for the FS100. I wanted a profile that would require little grading in post, as the EA50 doesn't provide the best files for that purpose. I went from heavy adjustments in post to a nice filmic image, then kept adjusting the profile until it is pretty much spot-on with what I'm grading. The only post grading this may need is a correction like white balance or exposure in case you messed up in shooting. Again, this is not intended to be graded but rather be as close in-camera as possible. This is NOT a "log" style profile. I think it's really nice and I'll be using it for most projects and then switching to the F3 for stuff that I want to grade.

This is created for BOTH indoor and outdoor situations.

This is what I'm calling "CPF FILMIC 1.0":
(I'm throwing in explanations of the settings to hopefully pre-answer any thoughts that any of you may have.)

BLACK LEVEL: 0
GAMMA: Cinematone1 (Places the midtones to around IRE 35, where they should be for a filmic look)
BLK GAMMA: Middle, +7 (Pulls the detail out from the shadows)
KNEE: Manual, 75%, +1 (Nice rolloff while maintaining detail)
COLOR MODE: Cinematone1, 8
COLOR LEVEL: +2 (The magic number in my opinion with this camera)
COLOR PHASE: -7 (Helps keep reds from bleeding and skintones from being too rosy)
COLOR DEPTH: R+4, G+3, B+5, C+2, M 0, Y+3 (Positive numbers darken the color channel...make a more pronounce and punchy color gamut)
WB SHIFT: LB-CC, LB-3, CC-1, rest 0 (I have found that I always correct towards blue 99% of the time, so I pushed it a little more to this color temp)
DETAIL: +3, Manual ON, Type 3, Limit 7 (I debate this everytime, but adding sharpening in camera is always desired over doing it in post on AVCHD footage. I think +3 is the magic number)

Hope someone finds this helpful!

R
I justed this picture profile out with my new zeiss sonnar 24mm F1.8
I always used the pp3 profile.

I looks sharp to me but the skincolor is so strange?
Attached Thumbnails
Sony EA50 Picture Profile-filmic.jpg  
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #17
Major Player

the face is orange.. nobody?
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Did you manually whitebalance or used a preset?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #19
Major Player

Noa, I can't remember for sure. I think manual balance (not with a white paper) just pushed the white balance button and saw the camcorder changed the white balance. For my eyes it looked good at that moment
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Pushing the whitebalance button without a whitebalance card is not whitebalancing , without a card your camera takes the entire frame to get an average reading of whatever is in the frame and that can result in the color shifting towards orange/red for instance like in your example.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Noa, did just some testing again between this preset and the pp5. Without a white card a face goes to orange color. With the pp5 it doesn't. there is much color into this picture profile.

I will experience further. I like a contrasty and sharper image preset. the pp3 I always used is too soft I realise now.
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
the face is orange.. nobody?
I would imagine that the PP's are set based on WB. IF you do not WB then you will have all kinds of variations. After you White balance see how the skin tones come out. I try to WB before shooting but sometimes it is not always applicable. So I WB the footage after the fact in post with Colorista from Red Giant. Colorista is a life saver for me. I think I rely too much on it though and has made me lazy when comes to WB.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
Noa, did just some testing again between this preset and the pp5. Without a white card a face goes to orange color. With the pp5 it doesn't. there is much color into this picture profile.

I will experience further. I like a contrasty and sharper image preset. the pp3 I always used is too soft I realise now.
It looks to me like you white balanced to the back of the room which is maybe a 5200k bulb? Then the child looks like it is lit with incandescent bulbs (2500k or so). This is the perfect way to make people too orange. The profile I made needs to have proper lighting and white balance to work. It's not a point-and-shoot look like an Instagram filter.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:51 PM   #24
Major Player

Richard,

After testing I think this preset is not contrasty enough for me. When testing against the pp6 wich looks better to me. More contrast.

I like the look from a dslr camera.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 12:49 PM   #25
Major Player

pp6 is too dark in lower light. and the one from Richard is nice but i want more contrast, more a dslr look. Which settings will affect this?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)