DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Sony EA50 Picture Profile (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/520845-sony-ea50-picture-profile.html)

Richard Crook December 31st, 2013 02:27 PM

Sony EA50 Picture Profile

So I've been testing and trying out profiles for the EA50, including ones made for the FS100. I wanted a profile that would require little grading in post, as the EA50 doesn't provide the best files for that purpose. I went from heavy adjustments in post to a nice filmic image, then kept adjusting the profile until it is pretty much spot-on with what I'm grading. The only post grading this may need is a correction like white balance or exposure in case you messed up in shooting. Again, this is not intended to be graded but rather be as close in-camera as possible. This is NOT a "log" style profile. I think it's really nice and I'll be using it for most projects and then switching to the F3 for stuff that I want to grade.

This is created for BOTH indoor and outdoor situations.

This is what I'm calling "CPF FILMIC 1.0":
(I'm throwing in explanations of the settings to hopefully pre-answer any thoughts that any of you may have.)

BLACK LEVEL: 0
GAMMA: Cinematone1 (Places the midtones to around IRE 35, where they should be for a filmic look)
BLK GAMMA: Middle, +7 (Pulls the detail out from the shadows)
KNEE: Manual, 75%, +1 (Nice rolloff while maintaining detail)
COLOR MODE: Cinematone1, 8
COLOR LEVEL: +2 (The magic number in my opinion with this camera)
COLOR PHASE: -7 (Helps keep reds from bleeding and skintones from being too rosy)
COLOR DEPTH: R+4, G+3, B+5, C+2, M 0, Y+3 (Positive numbers darken the color channel...make a more pronounce and punchy color gamut)
WB SHIFT: LB-CC, LB-3, CC-1, rest 0 (I have found that I always correct towards blue 99% of the time, so I pushed it a little more to this color temp)
DETAIL: +3, Manual ON, Type 3, Limit 7 (I debate this everytime, but adding sharpening in camera is always desired over doing it in post on AVCHD footage. I think +3 is the magic number)

Hope someone finds this helpful!

R

Chris Harding December 31st, 2013 07:31 PM

Re: Sony EA50 Picture Profile

Hi Richard

Thanks for this! Certainly worth a try and the details you have added make your reasons for each setting self explanatory.

I have been sticking to PP3 with a lifted colour level for both indoors and outdoors but so many people here are still searching for a profile that will work inside and out!

Some feedback from others might be nice if you try Richard's suggested settings?

Chris

Peter Rush January 3rd, 2014 10:39 AM

Nice work Richard - I'll have a play around with this setting :)

Phil Goetz January 5th, 2014 09:34 PM

There is a EA50 in Rowlett, TX?

;)

Thanks for posting this.

Chris Quevedo January 5th, 2014 11:04 PM

thanks a lot, is there any other profiles you might be chasing down? maybe a log type profile?

Noa Put January 6th, 2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crook (Post 1826179)
Hope someone finds this helpful!

I don't have the camera anymore but I keep collecting valuable info about it, I hope you don't mind that I shared your findings on my blog (see link below), I have made a clear reference to this site and the fact that you made the preset. Thx for sharing!

Steven Digges January 6th, 2014 05:28 PM

Wow! I think someone just put a polarizing filter on my lens and replaced my SD card with Kodachrome! I don't know about "most jobs" but this will have a place. Thank you Richard.

Is it just me....I don't see much of a difference between preset #1 and OFF? So I dialed this one into #1 for now?

Steve

Richard Crook January 8th, 2014 11:11 AM

No plans for a log profile, but I don't see any reason you can't use CPF-LOG that we created for the FS100 on the EA50. In retrospect, what I really needed when I created CPF-LOG was the F3 with S-LOG. 8bit AVCHD and log profiles with heavy post grading are honestly a recipe for disaster. It's always best to not go so flat in these cameras.

I think the best profile to use if you want a neutral profile that you can grade that isn't so flat and washed out is the one I created to match the Sony 5n:

CPF_LOG2:
Black Level: 0
Gamma: ITU709
Black Gamma: Low, +7
Knee: Manual, 80%, -3
Color Mode: Standard, 8
Color Level: -1
Color Phase: 0
Color Depth, All 0
WB Shift: All 0
Detail: +3, Manual On, Type3, Limit 7

Quote:

Wow! I think someone just put a polarizing filter on my lens and replaced my SD card with Kodachrome! I don't know about "most jobs" but this will have a place. Thank you Richard.
Ha! I did try to get an organic color scheme similar to Kodak film with this one. I think that's what makes the Blackmagic look so great is it seems to have that Kodachrome look right out of the gate. If you like a vintage film look try my "EKTACHROME."

EXTACHROME profile:
Black Level: +15
Gamma: CINEMATONE1
Black Gamma: Low, +7
Knee: Manual, 70%, +1
Color Mode: ITU709, 8
Color Level: +2
Color Phase: +3
Color Depth, R+5, G-5, B+5, C+2, M+3, Y+7
WB Shift: R-B, Rgain-3, Bgain+5
Detail: +3, Manual On, Type3, Limit 7, Crispening 4

Dave Vickers January 9th, 2014 11:28 AM

Very handy info indeed - Thanks Guys I'll give it a go.

Steven Digges January 13th, 2014 03:05 PM

Richard,

I posted a sample clip I shot with the first profile:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...file-clip.html

Your the MAN!

Steve

Richard Crook January 13th, 2014 06:47 PM

Thanks! I've been shooting with all these profiles the past week and really like the CPF_filmic the best. :)

Dave Vickers January 27th, 2014 07:17 AM

Has anyone got anywhere near these Canon Flaat profiles?

Paul Abbaszadeh January 29th, 2014 11:21 AM

Here are PP settings to get the 5D Technicolor Cinestyle "look" for the Sony FS100, you'll have to play around with the settings a little for it on the EA50 but this should get you pretty close.

Paul Abbaszadeh January 29th, 2014 11:22 AM

Forgot the link, oops!

FS100 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica

P.S.

Dave Vickers February 14th, 2014 08:56 AM

Many thanks - I'll have a look. :)