EA50 usage questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Major Player

EA50 usage questions

Hi all,

I've been so busy the past few months that I haven't really had a chance to properly get to know my EA50. I've got a few days off, so I decided to sit down with it and read through the manual.

Just a couple of things that are bugging me:

1. When I press the shutter speed button, nothing happens. I would expect it to highlight the shutter speed icon on the LCD so I can then use the SEL/PUSH dial to select. Any ideas?

2. Is it possible to select a custom WB without going into the menu? The manual says to select "MANU WB TEMP" in the menu, switch to PRESET, then I should be able to use the dial to scroll through the range. This isn't working.

3. What is everyones favourite Picture Profile for general documentary/news gathering work where grading needs to be kept to a minimum in post?

Any ideas appreciated :)

Last edited by Jody Arnott; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA50 usage questions

Hi Jody

You have to be in manual first otherwise you cannot change the shutter speed. Likewise touch focus needs the camera in manual too,

I don't think that you can adjust WB or temperature on the fly!! You can dial a temp in the menu of course. I tend to use AutoWB and it works well in 99% of cases... it tends to run blue in very bright conditions so I just warm that up in post.

The best profile is the million dollar question!! You find it and we will all use it!! So far because I'm shooting both inside and outside at weddings I need a profile that will do both so I use PP3 because IU709 also gives me an ISO range of 200-6400 against other profiles that have 160-5000 ...a little extra low light always helps.

I only so far have changed the colour level on PP3 as the saturation is very flat so I upped colour level 2 clicks. It's still a little low for outdoor shots but pretty much OK for indoor shots.

I fully intend to play with the profiles next month as Feb here is a quiet month as it's so hot!! Then the rush starts up again!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Yep, I'm in manual mode, that shutter button just doesn't seem to do anything. Hoping I don't have a faulty unit. I might give it a reset and see if that helps.

Thanks for the other info. I've been doing a bit of shooting on PP3 today and I do like the look of it.

Edit:
Well that's weird. I reset the camera (using the little recessed reset button) and it's fine now. Shutter button works, and I can also dial in custom white balance without going into the menu using the SEL wheel.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

"When [FACE DETECTION] is set to [ON], you
cannot adjust shutter speed, etc. To adjust
shutter speed, etc., set [FACE DETECTION] to [OFF]
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Oh my word Marlon,

You just made my day... I've been using the ea50 for over a year now, and only recently was playing around with face detection out of curiosity, but never correlated that with the fact that shutter speed sometimes wouldn't select. I was about to take it in for this problem.

Thank you.

Darryl
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i did fall on the same trap a while... Michael Spanheimer showed me the light ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Trustee

+1 Marlon

Jody, there is nothing wrong with your camera. Marlon beat me to the info, he is absolutely correct. When you reset it, face detection was turned off. Same with white balance, all is OK.

This camera is feature packed. That makes it complex. I can't claim to know everything in the manual but I do read it. And now I have the handbook thanks to you. Finding the quirks like face detection limitations is one of the reasons why. Eventually, after head scratching , or sometimes head banging, you can figure out why Sony did what they did.

I don't like face detection anyway, so I changed my preset button for it to touch focus. But that's me.

Sony made white balance too complicated for me to explain the whole thing here. I had to study it. But you can do a lot of it on the fly, including dialing in slight temperature adjustments.

The basic thinking behind this cameras functionality is auto means auto everything. It takes ALL control away from you. If you like some things to be in auto, but not all of them, you must operate in manual, then tell it what functions you want to be in auto. It is classic Sony.

Steve
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Trustee

Jody,

I just thought of one more thing for you. Did you upgrade your firmware when it was released several months ago? It is not an earth shattering upgrade at all. But, since you just hit your reset button this would be a good time to do it. When you do the upgrade you loose everything you have programmed into the camera like presets and custom button setting etc.

Its not a big deal, but your camera is set back to out of the box condition right now. Food for thought...

Steve
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Jody,

I just thought of one more thing for you. Did you upgrade your firmware when it was released several months ago? It is not an earth shattering upgrade at all. But, since you just hit your reset button this would be a good time to do it. When you do the upgrade you loose everything you have programmed into the camera like presets and custom button setting etc.

Its not a big deal, but your camera is set back to out of the box condition right now. Food for thought...

Steve
Thanks for the info, Steven.

I did consider doing the firmware upgrade when I reset the camera, but a quick Google didn't turn anything up other than information about it.

Does anyone have a link to the file?

Cheers.
Old January 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Trustee

Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

I think this is the one I used. My camera is technicaly the NEX EA50UH

Steve
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11
Regular Crew

isn't some of this in the stuff in the booklet you posted Jody?
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quevedo View Post
isn't some of this in the stuff in the booklet you posted Jody?
Hi Chris,

Yes, it is. I followed the steps in the booklet before I posted this thread, without any luck. As I mentioned above, resetting the camera to the factory settings solved the problems I was having.

Cheers :)
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Oh ok that's great!
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The best profile is the million dollar question!! You find it and we will all use it!! So far because I'm shooting both inside and outside at weddings I need a profile that will do both so I use PP3 because IU709 also gives me an ISO range of 200-6400 against other profiles that have 160-5000 ...a little extra low light always helps.
Just FYI...

I shot a real estate video today (first time with the EA50). When I got to the house, I realised that I hadn't planned what PP to shoot with. I quickly flicked through the list and decided on PP4 (I vaguely remembered reading that it was REC 709 compliant, not that it really matters for this type of work I suppose).

Anyway, very happy with the look. It produced a sharp, saturated image which is what I typically go for in post when I'm grading. Very little colour correction needed on my part.

On another note, I really could have used that Tokina 11-16 lens... adding it to my never ending "to buy" list :)
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

You know? I have never used PP4 !! I think I just might try it!! It's also a 709 profile and PP3 is really very low in colour saturation. I have upped my colour level on PP3 up two notches and I still need to push saturation on external video in bright sunlight.

Yeah the Tokina is absolutely awesome for houses. I use it on my Nikons for property photos and then on my Sony for the video. Just set the iris wide open inside the house and lock the focus at 0.7 metres (between 2' and 3') and everything is sharp from less than 24" right up to about 60' at F2.8 You basically have a point and shoot camera!! I tried the EA-50 with the stock lens at 18mm and it found trouble trying to focus on white walls and white ceilings as there is zero contrast!! I bought a Sigma 19mm prime that was a e-mount and it also struggled with AF ....with the Tokina at 11mm and zone focus everything is sharp as a tack just left on manual. Works very well!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)