EA 50 capabilitys at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Trustee

EA 50 capabilitys

ok I dont normally piggy back someone elses work but I have a bride that wont say no. I have my style and she sent me a link with some VERY nice work another video guy did in our area. I have a company book my work so I am not usally involved that much in the process. I told her the company that did this probably charged 3X what we do and had at least 2 or 3 shooters. Well I got a e-mail and she booked us and bought a bunch of options after looking at it again I can do it but I want to know if the EA 50 with the right lens is capable of this work and what lenses you would recommend me get for it.

Hotel duPont Wedding Film Preview - YouTube
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA 50 capabilitys

I didn't see anything that in that trailer that the EA50 can't do. HOWEVER....and please don't take this personally. I don't know if YOU can do it. I don't know your skill set but I will assume that you have the talent, knowledge and capability to pull these shots off , nothing appeared to be over the top and frankly is the kind of stuff I've seen for the last 4 or 5 years with some dynamic movement, shallow depth of field and even some unwanted movement left in that today has become a popular thing to do, the camera can do it.
Now the question should be, 'Which lens would be recommended other than the kit lens?" Maybe something like a 50 prime or 35 prime where you need to get in close to focus and can leave the iris open to achieve the shallow DoF. the movement can be done on the shoulder or tucked under your arm. Slow and steady with the idea that it can be slowed down more in post AND knowing that you probably won't hit it on the first pass. You might need to shot it 2 or 3 or 4 times to get the look you want. I'm referring to a shot like the hanger shot.
Can you do it? Sure you can. Go forth and make video!
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Don,
Thanks for the input, its mainly because my style has always just been to document the day and I like to make the videos fun more than anything. I do try and get the artsy fartsy shots also but I usually work alone so I am limited. Im not really concerned about getting the shots as much as getting "The look". I shoot 1080p 60 but im guessing that was shot in 1080 24p
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm also a doc kind of guy BUT IF the reasons and the money was right I would venture in the cine style world. Of course that was years ago before the shallow DoF craze hit but I was doing short form back in the mid 90s.
I guess what I'm getting at is do your thing get the real shot in the can as it were then worry about doing the "fancy" stuff.
Good luck have fun!
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Are you going to get a ea50 and lenses just to please that one bride? Looking at that one trailer you linked to you would need a 85mm f1.4 lens from samyang, a 35mm f1.4 lens from samyang (great lenses if you are on a budget) and the stocklens, a videolight for the dancing part, a tripod only for the ceremony and speeches and a audio recorder to record the vows and speeches and you are set to go, don't forget to add some bombastic music in your trailer. :)

I wouldn't go as far as you are planning to go to please a person, if you have got a style stick to it, I do get a occasional request of a bride that wants black and white footage or they want their film to start like one of their favorite tv series and that's sometimes fun to do but if someone came up to me and said; here is a link of a videographers video, I want it like that, then they should hire that person. If you have a bride that wont say no then you should :) Unless you really want to do it. Also, if you have not entered the shallow dof world before, you are not going to do yourself a favor shooting a wedding with a large sensor camera with no experience in that matter, you might end up with a unhappy bride.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

You might do well to read the post on the Wedding Forum about shallow DOF. It's not about what you want..it's about what the bride wants and if you give her something that doesn't please her and all based on your previous cameras, as Noa says, you will have an unhappy bride.

I have two EA-50's because they suit my shooting style and the bride's I book happen to like what I show them. You need to get the right camera for what you are shooting. Noa shoots on GH cams because they give his brides what they are looking for .. the small form factor is not for me however ..I struggled with my Panny GH1's but Noa looks the form factor.

It doesn't matter what camera you are using as long as you are comfortable with it...I like my EA-50's but I seldom, if ever, use a shallow DOF I simply adjust my cams and lenses I use to suit my style.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Well I already have the camera and I have a lot of weddings booked this year so I have some money budgeted for a couple lenses. I was thinking the metabones speed booster, 17-50 and a 28-75. I already have a 80-200 so I should be covered. thoughts?
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I had a Sigma 24-70 but the zoom was a bit sticky so I sold it off and didn't use it at a wedding at all.

Yep my favourite is definitely the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 ...I use it for ceremonies and also for speeches. My other favourite lens is my Tokina 11-16 F2.8 ... If you are doing stuff like guest interviews you can simply preset the focus to 2' and shoot in auto and always be in focus ... nice lens for table shots too!!!

As already mentioned I'm not a big shallow DOF person as my brides prefer everything in focus and I don't want a bride asking me "Why is my husband's face blurry?" so I find little use for the bigger lenses ..I did have a Sony 50mm F1.8 but still found it was just to long for me!! Each to their own but because of restricted space at weddings I think a zoom is a huge asset over a prime lens.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)