What setting for video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 12th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What setting for video?

If I render my video in Sony Vegas 12 as Sony AVC/MVC- Blu-ray 1920x1080i,16MBPS Video stream what should I shoot the video in for best quality or ease of editing etc. I'm guessing it would make a difference.I shot the first footage in 1080/60p PS.

Chris
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: What setting for video?

Hey Chris, I use Vegas 12 as well. I film everything in 60p because it reduces rolling shutter/skew vs 24 or 30. One thing you almost always want to do is select all of your EA50 footage on the timeline and right-click on one clip, select switches, disable resample.

Make sure your project is set to 1920x1080p60 (custom template) and then full resolution quality to best.
Also, why exporting to the 16 Mbps AVC??? Use the 25 Mbps. Better export.
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help. Lots to learn but I feel I'm going to like doing videography. It's definitely a challenge. I seriously don't see how some of you guys are doing videos by yourself.
Thanks Again.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

It all comes with practice and being organised! You will get used to it even shooting with more than one camera too. Remember in our digital age you can shoot as much as you want unlike the old days of film where every foot was precious! However if you plan shots carefully it does make editing a whole lot easier!

I came from analogue filming and linear editing so I still tend to think before I shoot and doing it that way means I can wrap up a whole day of wedding footage in under 10 hours. If I just shot everything without a little planning it would take me a week!

Jerome? I very seldom disable resample as I tend to shoot at 1080 50i rather than 50P ...for some reason I often seemed to get pixilation on people's cheek bones using 50P and that was supposedly (from "experts") due to the fact that AVCHD at 50P really needs a minimum bitrate of 50mbps and not 28! I thought that disabling resample was only necessary if you are slowing down the footage?? You always disable, even for normal footage??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
Thanks for your help. Lots to learn but I feel I'm going to like doing videography. It's definitely a challenge. I seriously don't see how some of you guys are doing videos by yourself.
Thanks Again.
You're welcome. Doing things by yourself... years and years of practice, trials and errors.
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Jerome? I very seldom disable resample as I tend to shoot at 1080 50i rather than 50P ...for some reason I often seemed to get pixilation on people's cheek bones using 50P and that was supposedly (from "experts") due to the fact that AVCHD at 50P really needs a minimum bitrate of 50mbps and not 28! I thought that disabling resample was only necessary if you are slowing down the footage?? You always disable, even for normal footage??

Chris
I pretty much always disable resample. I've found the motion to be better when disabled when dropping 60p (50 for PAL) into a 30p or 60i timeline for 30p/60i export. I don't notice pixelation near as bad as HDV was. Double check that you have "BEST" set in the project properties for full resolution rendering quality and also for your export, make sure your render template has the quality slider all the way to best. Defaults aren't always best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)