Matte Boxes - Show or Useful? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 15th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Matte Boxes - Show or Useful?

I had a ProAim (insert your India based shell company name here) matte box. It was total junk and didn't even fit my camera as advertised. The company offered a full refund saying half will be paypal'd back upon poof of return shipment, balancing upon receipt. They asked first for good photos showing the problems, as if they didn't know!

After I provided photos, then provided proof of return shipmen, they came up with every excuse in the book about how they didn't have any paypal funds, they were broke, wah-wah-wah. Then when they received their ProAim (insert your india based shell company name here) garbage back, they refused to issue a full refund, only sending half.

The matte box itself was way out of tolerance, the rails were heavily shot-peened to hide all the surface mishandling, the matte box pivot was sloppy beyond all belief and the matte box would not slide on the rails as the rails and blocks were out of alignment.

Total scammers and junk products, you've been warned.
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I use the Fotga DP3000 'swing out' matte box and the new design makes changing lenses a breeze but to improve things, I commissioned my local Dress Maker to make a 'knicker' for the matte box. I can now throw away those stupid rubber lens adapters as the 'stretchy knickers' adapt to all my lenses from 60mm to 120mm in diameter an it keeps out the back light 100%.

Last edited by Craig Marshall; April 29th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #48
Regular Crew

I want to buy a matte box, I am in dilemma which of the two is compatible with nex50
1. CAMTREE Camshade Video Matte Box or
2. Fotga 3000 Matte Box
Thanks
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Do you REALLY need a matte box or do you just want your camera to look "COOL" .... Steve Digges asked me the same question but I ignored his advice and bought one anyway! Be careful !! A matte box sitting at the front of your camera might look cool but it adds more weight to the front that you realise ,,, I had the cam shade and their rail system ..sold the matte boxes and kept the rail as my camera became just too heavy to hand hold!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Chris never use the camera on his shoulder
Old November 16th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Ok, but why do you need a matte box .... if it's for looks then don't waste your money! Most, if not all lens hoods do as good a job! If, you already have expensive 4" x 4" filters that you want to use then I can see the reason to use a matte box as it has a 4 x 4 filter holder.
Old November 17th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #52
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I'm going to mention the Cokin Modular Bellows again as a compromise. Self supporting, very light and with a built-in filter holder. No French flags, but being of bellows construction can be angled somewhat to emulate them. I have found it very useful to help combat flare when using single coated or uncoated vintage lenses.

Cool? Depends on whether you like a red hood or not! Definitely useful.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #53
Regular Crew

i take today the fotga 3000 looking for rod system

FOTGA DP3000 15mm Rail Rod Baseplate Mount Support For HDV DSLR Follow Focus Rig | eBay

Fotga DP3000 M4 15mm Rail Rod Quick Release Baseplate for DSLR Follow Focus Rig | eBay

or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Mount...3D281439494929

in first link in the rails is greater, the second is smaller How to get to nex50?
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #54
Inner Circle

It would surely make sense to see what size the matte box is before you buy rails and fittings that might be too high to adjust the matte box

However if you are sure that your proposed matte box will fit the rails then I cannot see why one would need 20" rails ..that's longer than the camera !! 30cm rails are normal.
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #55
Regular Crew

I ask what was fit with fotga dp 3000 with nex50
the 20" rails is very small 40" rails need with extra plate for shoulder like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOTGA-DP3000...item5d454d1f65
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)