Matte Boxes - Show or Useful? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Matte Boxes - Show or Useful?

Hi Guys

I'm still toying with the idea of adding Matte boxes and rails to both cameras but I'm not really sure whether my desire for them is purely "because they make your camera look really cool" or whether they actually will help with stray light!! When I use the Tokina 11-16 on the camera it's petal hood seems quite ineffective and even with the stock lens hood I did struggle a little with the sun. I don't own any 4x4 filters so probably wouldn't use that holder (or maybe I should??)

Anyone else (I know Tom has one) using a matte box and feels they are worth the money?? or is just worth getting them as it makes your cameras look a lot more pro to the client!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Matte Boxes - Show or Useful?

If you are going to be a wedding "cinematographer", you're bound to need one! (LOL)

I made one up that attached to the rectangular hood of the HD111, but really have not used it since I tried it out. A lot of my shots are tele and there seems to be less issue with stray light in the environments I am in, mainly indoors.

I used velcro to attach it, and I can give you the name of a good Weeties box for the raw materials.
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I really need to install a "like" button for the forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Please no!! This is a refuge from the insanity of Facebook with fairly sensible posts (OK my one right here might not be, but most are!) I however do want to seriously know if people buy matte boxes to make their rig look professional or do they really use them and swear by them!!

I'd hate DVInfo to start getting posts like "Bought a new ND filter today" ..post has 16 likes ...No thanks!

We really don't want to know what people had for breakfast and whether we like it or not.

Chris
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris, in all seriousness, I have not used my matte box but did look at them on ebay when I first got the camera. I was in the same position, are people really getting value out of them or is it just for looks. I figured I could get a reasonably solid setup for around $200-250, that I could justify to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Instead, I made the aforementioned "Blue Peter" special. I have not used it though. What I did buy was one each of these:

37mm 16 9 Rectangular Wide Lens Hood FOR Canon Vixia HF M30 HF M300 HFM31 USA | eBay

Mennon 72mm 16 9 Screw Mount Rectangular Wide Angle Lens Hood White Balance CAP | eBay

for my two HF200's, one with and one without a wide angle adapter on.

They have proved to be a very good investment. Maybe this is a place to start, without going all "wanky" and OTT? They come in other sizes too.

Also, I think Chris Rex puts that comment about the "like" button in when there is something he finds diverting.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Tim

I can get a quite nice matte box and rails from CineCity for $240 that will fit a variety of lenses. My issue is that at weddings I'm using not just my stock zoom (65mm thread) but also my Tokina 11-16 and Tamron 17-50 all which have different diameters and the idea of having a matte box on adjustable rails and a little "hoodie" that seals off between the lens and box is necessary and all the lenses are not only different diameters but also different lengths. The Tamron also extends on zoom so it's length changes so I need a flexible front end.

I had a situation a few weeks ago where I could had used a flag as the sun was coming through the trees and we got quite a few lens flares.

Tom uses the same one and has a pic here : http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...tte-box-3.html

Chris
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Sounds like a tough situation, especially the Tamron with the changing length. Let us know which way you go on this.
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Tim

I need some feedback from Tom who already has one of these so waiting patiently. The 18-200 stock lens is the problem as it extends 80mm when at 200mm zoom so there needs to be 80mm of space between the matte box and the lens so you can physically zoom!!!

Request to Tom please I need your help ??

The stock EA-50 lens changes length from full wide to full tele by an extra 80mm ...if you setup your Camshade on the rails so the stock lens at full zoom is touching the matte box, when you zoom right back to wide (so the lens is now 80mm shorter) is there enough "material" in the black hoodie that goes over the lens so it can actually retract back 80mm and not pull the sock thingy off???

I wonder if you could please test on your EA-50 to see if there is actually enough space inside to zoom??

Many Thanks

Chris
Old February 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Major Player

I had this setup on a Canon 7D thats since sold, the only good thing that the Matte Box was useful for was ND filters other than that i couldn't really tell if it did anything else useful really.

iv'e since moved on to a variable fader on my Canon 5D mk 3 and dispensed with all the extras, it might be ok for non run&gun but the other thing i found with this rig was it required a good bit of time to adjust for a different size lens.
Old February 14th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris,

With the camtree mattebox I can use the stocklens from wide open to full zoom but it's not easy.
I prefer a lens that doesn't extend with a mattebox. But people comment that I have I really professional looking camera now. At this moment I haven(t used the french flags. Had always filmed inside and also almost every day raining and lots of wind here. At this moment no need of the french flags.

I have also a new counterweight (handmade) that makes it a bit more difficult to use the stocklens.

I will make this weekend a short movie of my setup. That will help you
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom

That's much appreciated indeed. I thought I would ask you as you already have the Camtree box. I was wondering if you adjusted the matte box so it sits in front of the lens so it's not extended (at wide angle) and then put the hoodie cover over the main lens body, surely the part of the stock lens that extends would simply extend through the centre hole in the matte box and actually extend into the matte box itself??

We have pretty much clear skies at this time of the year and the sun can be a real pain as most brides seems to choose a ceremony time around 3:30 to 4:30 and the sun always seems to be at the worst angle too!

If you are busy this weekend just a few photos would be good enough too ... just to show where the lens and box are sitting (with the black hoodie off)

Thanks too to Rob ... I do need to justify a dual purchase (as I have two cameras) apart from just looking "cool" and updating my status from "videographer" to "cinematographer" ... then I can triple my prices too.

Chris
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Don't forget one for your GoPro as well, or you'll never get those triple prices!
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Actually on my DIY website I did a tutorial on how to make a really effective matte box from a flower pot. It had rails and the works and cost under $10 which included the aluminium rails and the flower pot.

I try to keep the hero as unobtrusive as possible if I can!! I don't want to draw attention to myself !
Old February 16th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I have a growing collection of Schneider Optics 4x4" glass filters which can add considerably to the 'filmic' look of modern HD video cameras. For these, a matte box is essential however I recently sold my 'no name' box, replacing it with the new Fotga DP 3000 'swing out' model. Although the construction of the 3000 is a still a bit flimsy, for around $100, the swing out design is excellent and speeds up my lens changes considerably. As I have a large collection of Zeiss 'Contax' primes and mount them on the APS-C sensor via a genuine C/Y to NEX 'Speed Booster', anything to make prime lens changes faster is a good thing!

of course, the huge advantage is you only need one size of filters, irrespective of your lens filter size. For short zooms which do not 'travel', a matte box can make a convenient sun shade too.
Attached Images

Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Major Player

When I first got into DSLR shooting (technically mirrorless m4/3) I put together a big shoulder rig with a zoom H4n and Rode NTG-2 attached, tripod plate, big monitor, follow focus, big LED light on top, etc. etc. The problem was it took too long to set up and it was incredibly heavy. I was about to install a matte box on the end, too! I then rearranged the rig with new rods so the camera's viewfinder was right up against my face so I could do away with the monitor. I then just used a Rode VideoMic Pro and if need be recorded audio separately. Then I switched to a monopod so no need for follow focus, etc. I still have the slimmed down shoulder rig, but I don't use it as often as I used to. I think those matteboxes, especially for run and gun/one man crew, are total overkill. Lens flares aren't necessarily bad, anyhow. To the contrary, they're quite popular.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)