DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Transporting/storing batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/522003-transporting-storing-batteries.html)

Jody Arnott March 3rd, 2014 03:34 PM

Transporting/storing batteries

I have about 8 batteries now; a few for my EA50 and the rest are for my LED lights.

Obviously batteries pose a fire risk and need to be stored correctly. What do you use to transport and store your batteries?

Marlon Martins March 3rd, 2014 04:29 PM

Re: Transporting/storing batteries

most of li-ion risk is during charge. as sony batteries have a internal controller/monitoring for each cell groups in series, the chance of overcharge/overdischarge is almost 0.

on handling/using, the risk became on dropping/puncturing the battery/cells. dropping mostly is "safe", as only very hard drop may damage the circuit inside or damage cells at the point to became a risk.

puncturing is the real danger, but you need to be really "sloppy" to manage to do that.

so my recommendation is simple: don't drop, carry them in a soft container, and use with no fear. also, don't buy cheap compatible batteries. some clones are really good, some cheap clones are crap.

also, if using on lights that do not detect when battery are almost empty (and turn off for example) may damage cells inside.

Chris Harding March 3rd, 2014 07:26 PM

Hi Jody

I have a secure case (the local yellow ones like a Pelican but cheaper) with foam inside. My batteries sit in cutouts (both for camera and lights) and then I have mini cases with my cards in the case as well!

The Sony batteries have recessed connectors in the end so they are highly unlikely to short circuit ... a case just makes life easier and I know where everything is.

Chris

Don Bloom March 3rd, 2014 08:29 PM

I've carried LiON batteries in hard cases, soft cases, belt pouches. Everything but paper bags. I've driven hundreds of miles and flown thousands. I've used Sony 970s, Anton Bauer Dionic90s and IDX V-lok 68 and 95s. I have never had a problem with them setting a fire or any other type of danger.
Yeah they can start a fire but in all the years I've used them, I've never seen it happen, don't personally know anyone that has seen it happen.
Personally I've got other things to worry about. Put them in your bag or case, face them all the same way so there is zero chance of the contacts coming together and travel away.

Dave Blackhurst March 4th, 2014 02:12 AM

Risk? Following what has been said above, buying quality batteries, don't brutalize 'em, and make sure the contacts can't short out, and you should be fine. Very little risk...

Jody Arnott March 4th, 2014 03:09 AM

I've had a battery fire in the past so I'm probably overly cautious now.

Either way, thanks for the tips :)

Chris Harding March 4th, 2014 05:40 AM

Hey Jody

Always pays to be careful!!

BTW: If you use the EA-50 handheld at all do yourself a favour and shorten the viewtube!! You will be amazed at the increase in comfort level and balance!!

Chris

Dave Blackhurst March 4th, 2014 04:19 PM

I've shorted 9V batteries accidently, not to the point of fire, but they get VERY hot, could probably ignite or melt things. So it IS possible to create trouble with batteries, even common consumer ones.

I know there are reports from time to time about defective batteries that catch fire, which is scary if you happen to be the one discovering your battery is defective, before they announce the recall! Not sure if that was the case with your fire, but that would certainly make one cautious!

Usually there is an identifiable "failure mode" - batteries shouldn't just spontaneously overheat and catch fire under "normal" conditions... it's those "abnormal" situations that get'cha! Thus the above advice which should keep you within normal operating parameters!

Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes!

Don Bloom March 4th, 2014 04:34 PM

On the 9V if the contacts touch they will get hot enough to start a fire. My son is a firefighter and one day he and his crew decided to "practice" and actually started a fire. Now it won't happen instantly but it can happen.
As for the LiOn batteries starting a fire, sure they can but instantly...Highly doubtful.

Look all I'm saying is use a little common sense, make sure the batteries aren't damaged and don't be paranoid. Hell, I used to carry those cheap butane lighters when I smoked. I HEARD stories of people burning their legs when the lighter would spontaneously start on fire in their pocket. About .001% chance of it happening. Didn't stop most people from carrying them.

If you're that afraid of the possible consequences of using them LiOn, don't. Set up a rig to use NiMH batteries.

Paul Wood March 4th, 2014 04:40 PM

Having re-read my post in the thread . http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-awa...batteries.html, and being suitably chastened by Chris Young's reply with the current IATA regulations,
I guess the key is having good quality batteries, and as Don says, observing common sense rules for keeping them isolated/insulated, as well as observing charging rules.

However, as Boeing has recently discovered, even that may not be enough under some circumstances....