DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   AJA Cion/4K Cam Lens PL Mount-AJA's entry into 4K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/522701-aja-cion-4k-cam-lens-pl-mount-ajas-entry-into-4k.html)

Scott Nocella April 10th, 2014 03:37 PM

AJA Cion/4K Cam Lens PL Mount-AJA's entry into 4K

CION - Products - AJA Video Systems

Looks like this will be the future of things. Would like to see how sony responds to this with the next generation of EA50 type cams.

Companies like AJA and Blackmagic are truly responding to the DSLR innovations and have listened to forums like these.

Ethernet connectivity, 120fps, 4k sensor with various mount configurations are the versatility that cam operator/owners need to survive.

So seeing the EA50 evolve into next generation is key.

Joel Corral April 11th, 2014 01:37 PM

Re: AJA Cion/4K Cam Lens PL Mount-AJA's entry into 4K

this is a $9,000 camera... i don't understand the post? the EA50 is a $3,000 camera. are you suggesting that the next version of the EA50 shoot in 4K and 120fps for the same price tag?

Scott Nocella April 11th, 2014 02:17 PM

No. This is a trend in the $9K arena that certainly something to keep in mind as the camera landscape continues to change, and certainly something to bear in mind as time goes forward. Like it or not 4K and then 8K formats will come down the pike as a standard.

As an owner of an EA-50 I appreciate the features that were developed for the price point, and it's important to understand this new price point and feature list for 4k cameras that are currently being developed by non-traditional manufacturers that are now reality.

The features of the EA-50 at it's price-point are great for the price, but isn't it relevant to understand what happening in the world of cameras. RED used to the only camera that had an upgradeable sensor-that's changed now this year as there's the blackmagic URSA, and now the AJA CION.

This is significant news, because like it or not, 4K is coming, and one day the EA50 is going to need to evolve, formats change....this is a fact.

Would it be realistic for the EA50 to offer these features for $3K.....that's absurd, I never said that, what I am saying is knowledge is empowerment, especially when it comes to spending my hard earned money on a camera.

Scott Nocella April 13th, 2014 03:43 PM

Blackmagic makes a B-4 lens mount for servo control out of the box, it looks as if AJA will look to 3rd party manufacturers to handle that. No shoulder mount or ENG viewfinder on the blackmagic, looking to see what zacuto does with that.

I am interested to see Sony's response to cameras like the AJA, The EA50 was in response to the DSLR revolution, and it was the perfect response for price point, tech specs, etc. The game is changing yet again in terms of format. It would be nice to see what Sony develops to come in under $7K benchmark set by URSA blackmagic. The Sony FS700 was Sony Tossing their hat into the 4K game with an HDMI out, the sony A7s mirror-less is yet again Sony toying with 4k. The F4 18-105mm oss lens supports full frame, so some kind of 4k evolution can happen in the EA50 world.

My feeling is that by years end there will be some kind of announcement in response to these cameras being released from AJA and blackmagic.

Jon Thorn April 14th, 2014 07:10 PM

The PL lens mount on the AJA CION is in fact removable and was designed with shorter focal flange distances in mind. As part of our effort to provide open connectivity throughout the entire product design, we are inviting third-parties to create adapters for lenses and lens mount systems that cover the APS-C sized sensor. This will mean that a variety of offerings with a variety of capabilities as well as a variety of price points should come to market answering the acknowledged need for flexibility among different users. AJA simply chose the PL lens mount as a starting point because it is an open and accepted professional standard and an array of high quality lenses are available worldwide in PL mount.

I hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems

Scott Nocella April 15th, 2014 09:49 PM

So it will be possible with 3rd party development to use preferably full frame E-mount lenses for the Cion. Having a Sony lens collection, I feel I don't want to part with my EA50 or lenses as they serve me well in terms of price and application. The EA50 has given me new insight and inspiration to appreciate what AJA Cion has turned the DSLR revolution into. Keeping my lenses, my anton bauer power from my Sony DVCAM has proved to be a wise decision as it can be mounted on the AJA. Buying a DVCAM back in 2001 cost $12K in that timeframe. It's fair to say at a price point of $9K I'm onboard provided I can bring my lenses along for the ride and there is some kind of option for b-4 lensing....I'm sold at that point with my EA50 becoming a budget kit for budget shoots working to pay for a Cion. Makes sense, and I appreciate AJA chiming in on this forum to make sure that the facts are straight about their camera, I wish Sony would respond with a camera that compares spec wise with AJA, but that would be a far reach as these are some incredible specs that AJA has developed for the price point. I gather we will have some clarity as we see 3rd party development on lens mounts, adapters, etc. I invite Sony to respond to the AJA Cion, perhaps we will see the camera landscape come to life with a 4K revolution on the way to 8K. Remember there are parts of the world like Japan that are already at 8K.