Speed Booster at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Speed Booster

I am ready to buy a speed booster I have a nikon 80-200 lenses now at 2.8 which has iris controls on it I also will be getting a 28-75 witch Iris controls and a 17-50 W/O iris controls. Is this the right adatper?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995463-REG/metabones_mb_spnfg_e_bm1_nikon_g_to_e_mount.html
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Speed Booster

Hey Randy

I would wait until Steve Digges can give you some advice .. he had issues with the Metabones and problems on the camera which he got sorted out so he can advise on which model to buy that will work 100% on your camera.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I can't advise on which particular model to get Randy, but I believe Steve's problem was an isolated one and He had good customer service from Metabones in getting it resolved - speaking for myself it's the best and most useful add-on to the EA50 I've ever bought :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Metabones only really has one right? They have a converter and a speed booster I just need the one for Nikon right?
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Randy from what I have seen they have all sorts and call them Mark1, II and III so I would seek advice before spending your money.

Do you want just a dumb adapter that gives you the extra stop or must the adapter communicate with the camera??

Chris
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Trustee

Well I guess if I could get one that communicated with the camera that would be best, I thought the Mark 1,2,3s were just converters not speed boosters. I was just going to get a converter (the extra f-stop would be nice but its not a deal breaker) the reason I wanted the speed booster is because of the wide angle function. I could make my 80-200 a 70-150 and make my 17-50 really wide for tight rooms and effects.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

the speedbooster won't work on your 17-50 I would imagine - it needs full frame lenses to do its thing
Ade Towell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Trustee

doesnt work at all? Or just wont give me the extra f-stop? If thats the case I think I will just get a smart adapter because I dont know if it will work with my 80-200 either.
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I think that lenses designed for APS-C sensors might vignette at the wide end so full frame lenses are advised. It still should work though surely???

Randy? Do you really need a speed booster? The 17-50 Nikon is a constant F2.8 so that should keep you happy with just a simple dumb adapter.

It seems to appear that the Metabones was developed especially for Canon lenses rather than a adapter for all lenses as people using them seem to have more success with the Canon/NEX configuration.

Let us know what you finally decide what to do ? You could just buy a faster lens too?? Last week my still camera was stolen from my car so I replaced it with a used Nikon D90 ..that came with a Tamron 18-200 lens but the seller also threw in a 35mm F1.8 Nikon lens ..Wow! that sees in the dark I can use it for wedding guest interviews!

Also remember than the faster your lens is, the smaller the DOF so focussing becomes more critical!!

Chris
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Trustee

I dont NEED a speed booster, I came to relize that your right 2.8 is fine for weddings but I more interested in the wider image. Like making my 80-200 a 60 ish to 150ish OR making a 17-50 super wide for tight places or whole room in a shot shots. If its not going to work I may just but a 28 to 75 at 2.8 I found on ebay for $300. If id just like to know at this point.
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The Speedbooster for EF lenses is $200 more than the smart adapter but that one stop can make all the difference. At the weekend I was filming really dark wedding speeches so instead of my 24-105 F4 I used my 24-70 F2.8 (which I think becomes F1.8 with the speedbooster) - made just enough difference!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Peter
Thanks for your input, Do you have the Nikon mount or canon? Also will it work with this lens?
New Sigma 17 50 mm F 2 8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for Nikon Free Shipping from Japan 0085126583552 | eBay
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #13
Trustee

Randy,

I am a Canon guy so I cannot speak for Nikon use. Here is what I do know about Canon.

1. All Metabones adapters are high quality. You do not have to worry about cheap machine work and a poor fit like you do with cheap adapters.

2. The speed booster does not widen your glass out beyond it’s 35mm focal length. It brings it back to it. In other words, it removes the APS-C crop factor so a 70=200 becomes a 70-200 again.

3. I don’t know how wide you can go without vignette. Like will the 17mm be 17mm with a speedbooster? My Canon 16mm works great with the smart adapter.

4. Some Canon aftermarket Tamrons and Sigma’s have reported issues. The adapter works best with real Canon lenses. I don’t know about Nikon.

5. There is a list of compatible lens models on the Metabones website.

I have the Smart adapter. I love it. If I did it again I would pay the extra for the Speedbooster. The Speedbooster was just released the same month I bought my adapter so it was untested. I should have gone for it.

In my opinion, having an adapter communicate with the camera is worth the extra money.

When you look at the benefit I get from it my adapter is priceless. I already owned about $10,000.00 in Canon glass. Being able to use that on a video camera via the adapter is why I bought an EA50…..Priceless!

Steve
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Trustee

Randy,

Please forgive my unsolicited advice, you do ask for a lot of advice so I hope you will not see this as a knock on you, it is not.

I think you have started about 10 or 15 threads on lenses. Plus several of us tried to convince you not to count on the 2x zoom as a way of thinking it will always give you two lenses in one. If you have still not made a decision this is what I would do.

First, determine exactly what your needs are in speed and focal length. Then pick brand or mount type, put a plan together and stick with it.

For some of us that was easy because we were already invested in a brand of glass. You have options and it seems to be killing you. Just because someone gave you a Nikon lens may not mean you need to go all Nikon. Or, just because the EA50 offers so many options does not mean you have to use them all.

Lenses are obviously critical. They are also one of those places you get what you pay for. I DO understand that money matters! The thing I am reading into your posts is that you want more versatility than you can get. There is no “one or two do it all answer”. That is why we all put together a system.

The reason I bring this all up is the multitude of options means it can be easy to build Frankenstein. And Frankenstein was a monster! I am not a fan of kits with multiple brands and lots of adapters for anything. Right here in this forum you can see how different guys make things work for them but a common denominator is still a given brand. Craig likes Leica so he stays mostly there, Chris is Nikon, I am Canon, etc…. Since you are not already vested in a brand maybe you should pick one and put a plan together.. You could even pick Sony E-mount, no adapter at all. Or Sony E and A-mount for a ton of selection, compatibility, and reasonable price. I don’t think grave robbing is the way to build a kit of lenses. You may end up having to breathe life into it on a job someday!

This is just my not so humble opinion, YMMV!

Steve
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Trustee

Steve,
Thanks for the input, the reason I have so many threads on lenses is because I am a wedding guy and I need flexability and low light performance. the stock lens is good but not good enough in low light so I need to find options for different situations. Sometimes I need 150-200 mm and sometimes I need as wide as I can. I always need speed. I am also learning thats why I ask so many questions I dont have a local shop that his the speed booster so I cant play around and test it.For more than one reason I am going with a Nikon mount I think I am just going to buy the metabones adapter and speed booster and if it doesnt work for me I will send it back. There is no "fix all" lens solution if there were it would be the stock lens but 2.8 straight through. Not realistic.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)