USB output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Trustee

USB output

Does the USB on the EA 50 supply power?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: USB output

You can at least run a USB Harddrive with it.
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Trustee

cool! The wireless I am looking at by Sony will take a USB to power the reciever.
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

not sure if this will work.
Once tried to charge a gorpro on the USB and it didnt work...
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Well i'll give it a try, you would think Sony camera and Sony wireless they should be able to work together.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

so what was the result Randy??
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:43 AM   #7
New Boot

mmmh...this usb have not much mhA (5volts) ..not sure can work with addon need enough mhAmper...
I thnink a HDD 3,5'' Usb is the limit.
Jimiz Zanei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Sorry havent tested I am having a hard time getting a micro usb to a micro usb cable.
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Did you buy the Sony wireless outfit yet? We are having frequency changes here from January 2015 so I'm looking at replacing my faithful Azdens with Sony stuff. My 100LT's still are awesome but they will be somewhat restricted by the new frequency allocations but we might still be able to work in the 800mhz guard band which will be free from any transmissions.

On the USB side are you looking at using a USB microdrive as a backup instead of buying the Sony FMU??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Trustee

Chris,
Yes I did but the new sony wireless and I LOVE IT! the azdens dont even compare. The sony sounds clean and good and has really good range. What I am trying to see if I can do is: you can power the Sony receiver via micro USB I was trying to find out if the mico USB output on the EA50 would power the wireless receiver
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Randy

Do the Sony's have a very short battery run time then? The ones I'm looking at are the Sony UWPD11 /CE42 and run off AA's so with two 2500mah cells the receiver runs for 6 hours and the transmitters for 8 hours ...yes these models also say you can use a micro USB cable to not only power them but if you leave the batteries in, it also charges them. However it just says USB NOT the camera USB ... so maybe the EA-50 cannot supply enough to charge them or run them ? I have no idea. For me 6 hours receiver time is more than enough! and it's easy to keep a spare set of batteries for the mics..my flash units also use the same rechargeables so I always have plenty spare. Unless you are shooting a marathon dance recital a wedding at most would be just over an hour for the longest ceremony and about the same for the longest speeches so it would only at worst use 1/3rd of the battery. My Azdens use 9v lithium ion batteries and last 6 hours but for safety I still always put a fresh pair in at the reception.

My spec says you need a Micro B USB cable ... maybe you need to specify the "B"???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Trustee

The wireless kit I got does last really long on AAs its not a big deal but if the Camera can power the receiver why not? one less thing to worry about at a wedding like if you forget and leave the wireless on in the bag or something. I know it wont charge the AAs in it but it may just run it.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)