what tripods are you using with the EA50? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Major Player

what tripods are you using with the EA50?

Just interested to know which tripod people are using. I am in the process of switching from my HDV kit (Z7 and S270) to EA50. I use a really heavy duty Vinten Vision 10 with the S270 but I think the EA50 is too light for this tripod even though it is really smooth.
I'm using a Manfrotto 503 head with the Z7 but this is in a different league to the Vinten in terms of smoothness.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: what tripods are you using with the EA50?

I'm using Manfrotto 547B legs with a 701HDV head. This has been my setup for a couple of years now and I'm mostly happy with it, the head is extremely smooth. My only issue is its weight becomes an annoyance on longer shoots, so I'm looking to buy some carbon fibre legs at some point.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using a Sachtler DV1 head and tripod. However I mostly use the head with Gitzo 8x Carbon sticks as you can really get it up high if need be. I also have a Gitzo G1380 Fluid Head that works very well, but I'm not overly fond of the tilt lock.
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm happy so far with the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod & 502HD Flat Base Head Kit. The head is nice and smooth.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1005482-REG/manfrotto_055xprob_black_tripod_with.html
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Matt,

I would hang on to that Vinten and try it with the EA50 before you commit to anything. Great head. With sticks and heads it is always better to have more support than you need instead of not enough.

I run two Manfrotto 516 heads. One on Manfrotto 3192 & one on 3182 sticks.

I picked the 516 several years ago (way before my EA50) because I work with a variety of cameras and I can go with cams heavier than the EA50 class if I need to. I have been very happy with them. Lots of hours and still going strong.

Steve
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #6
New Boot

Hello!
I use Sachtler Ace L (upto 8kg). This version is a cheaper version of Sachtler FSB8. Really good options, as for me.
Good luck!
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all the replies. I tried using the Vinten head but the EA50 is much lighter than the S270 and the counter balance mech on the head doesn't work.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)