Anyone using a LANC Remote? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using a LANC Remote?

Do you guys have any suggestion for a 3rd party lanc remote that works with the EA50?
The original sony controller is about 1000$.... thats too much for a tool that i will use sometimes but not always.
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone using a LANC Remote?

Micheal,

For what it's worth I use this one: Pan Bar Remote For LANC MVR901EPLA - Camera | Manfrotto

Mine is the previous model, I have had it about 10 years. I loved it but now there is a catch. It has a rubberized outer surface. In the last year it is getting sticky to the touch. You can't wash it off because it is not something on it, it is self destructing. I contacted their tech support and they said "sorry, once that starts your screwed". Otherwise it was a great product. I don't know if the new ones have that issue fixed or not.

Keep in mind many lanc controllers have a focus button. They all suck because it is an electric button for a servo lens. Its hit and miss. Servo lens focus is always a pain.

Steve
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I got this one when I bought my EA 50,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279113-REG/VariZoom_VZ_STEALTH_LX_VZStealthLX_Zoom_Controller.htmlbecause I knew I needed a new tripod and thought this one would be adaptable to any tripod. I really to have a controller as part of the pan bar. The varizoom will mount on the bar but it is a little boxy and clunky feeling. You can mount it to the leg of your tripod, too. The connecting wire lanc wire is long, which is good if you want the remote far down on the tripod, but I have to bundle the wire up to keep it out of the way, as I have the controller mounted on my pan bar.

It is nice to have a controller so as not to bump the camera, but I wish mine were a bit more sleek and integrated to the tripod.
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 521 PRO Basic clamp type style LANC.

Amazon.com : Bogen / Manfrotto 521PRO Basic Clamp Style Lanc Remote Control for Sony & Canon Camcorders : Camcorder Batteries : Camera & Photo

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Not third party, but I am using a small sony Lanc remote I used with my Z7, which I bought cheaply second hand. The good thing about it is that it also controls focus with the kit lens on the EA50.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Spanheimer View Post
Do you guys have any suggestion for a 3rd party lanc remote that works with the EA50?
The original sony controller is about 1000$.... thats too much for a tool that i will use sometimes but not always.
the libec 3DV with a little adjustment I made (I'll explain later)
the Vivitar 8-button unbelievably cheap and unbelievably good with another adjustment that I'll explain later

the one that I use most is the Vivitar because of the speed adjustment of the zoom.

The libec is better made, but is pressure sensitive (for the zoom) so I put a bar(foam) right below the control , glued: it keeps the speed smoother and won't (ever) get to max zoom speed.

The vivitar makes an annoying "click" that can be picked-up by the microphone: so I had to open (there are three screws, very easy: then locate the switches of the zoom and put a piece of paper and on top a piece of gaffer's tape. Close and no more "clicks", silent and reliable (I have it for two years now)

The libec is compatible with lanc and panasonic, while the vivitar is only lanc
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #7
Major Player

I found a low budget Lanc Control that I originally got for my Sony AX2000 and since it worked so well I got another one for my EA50.

Page Listing

I was thumbing through Google for a decent remote lanc control and I came across this one posted on Amazon. I read some reviews and decided to try it out. I was blown back of how well it works. The sensitivity is more than what I expected in a $68 unit. It has a very smooth variable zoom (in and out) along with a start/stop record button.

Sorry about the bad images, they were taken with my smartphone in low light obviously...

There was one draw back though. This particular Lanc control came with two jack ports, one in the front of the device and one on the side for convenience for your configuration. the port on the front of the device is recessed too far in for the cable plug to be inserted all the way in. So of course it does not work with the front port. I left a 3 star rating on the amazon page review because of it. I can fix it with no problem but it is still a factor. Reading some of the other reviews not too many others had this same problem so it does not seem consistent with there build quality, just happen to be my unit.

I did shave the front casing down so that I could use the front port as well. Now it works with no problem. I opened the unit up to check the circuit board and I found that the two ports are only secured by a solder joint and the tabs do not penetrate the board at all. So I thought if you push too hard while inserting the cable you may break the solder joints. So I reinforced the solder joints and put everything back together. Another mod was the record button. It seemed to make a clicking noise when pressed. It was not loud but made enough sound that i wanted to do something about it. I got a piece of clear tape and put it over the record button and now it makes no sound when pressed. Well I hope this helps someone.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)