NEX lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Trustee

NEX lenses

I use the Speed Booster with a variety of leneses for wedding they work fine for pre-wedding and ceremonys but I need a real NEX 50u compatible lens for receptions the action is just too fast for me to be manually adjusting the focus and zoom. I am thinking of the Sony 18-105 at f 4 it seems a bit brighter and is a good match for receptions. Where can I get a look at fully compatibilie lenses for the NEX 50u? I assume the "Alpha mounts" wont give me auto focus etc.?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NEX lenses

Hi Randy

I would rather use the stock lens at 18mm so I have F3.5 and then suffer a bit when I have to zoom for speeches. In a reception there is very little AF needed and as long as you manually focus within the DOF range it will look sharp. Shoot with a fast lens at 18mm and you have quite a big DOF range even at F1.8!!

I can shoot bridal entry with the Sigma 18-35 at F1.8 and I just make sure that I stay roughly the same distance (and at an angle too) to the couples entering and I seldom need to change focus .. as long as they are not walking towards you (unless you walk backwards) shooting from the side keeps the camera/subject distance quite constant.

Once you shoot a reception ay F1.8 you won't want to use any other lens on your camera at receptions!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Ive been trying to use the other lenses and I am really struggling. Im used to manual but with HD being so pickie on focus I really need AF at receptions.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

Also bear in mind that if receptions are dark and dingy even the most expensive AF lens will struggle!

I found I had to use a light almost all the time but at F1.8 I hardly ever turn it on now!

At 18mm and F1.8 if your subject is 10' away you still have 7' worth of DOF ( 2' in front and 5' behind) so it's easy to stay in focus and you still get nice soft backgrounds ...at 15' away the DOF doubles to 14'

I mainly zone focus so I just focus on an area 10' away from me and I still have plenty of latitude ...If you understand the depth of field focus is easy even with moving subjects!! and peaking makes it really easy too. Your other option is to get the SEL16 lens from Sony and work close.

Chris
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Trustee

I was thinking about that and maybe the 35mm or 50mm. Got a question on the stock lens at what focal distance do you think it exceeds f4?
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

As the lens zoom goes from 00 - 100 I have never bothered to work out the actual focal length but I guess you could use a prime to compare I guess. Our speeches are done at a lectern and I normally have camera one at around 15' away and a tight shot on the speaker seems to indicate a zoom figure around 30 or thereabouts and that iris is normally between F4.0 and F4.5 .. The worst I have had was F5 ..never got to F6.3!

Sigma make a 35mm F2.8 prime that has an e-mount and cheap too. I struggle with primes though!! That also has full camera functions. If you are happy with primes then Samyung make quite a few nice lenses and they are fast too!!

Chris
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think if you use the Sony adapter LA-EA2 then you can use a lens such as the Zeiss E mount 24-70mm F2.8 - this will give you a nice fast zoom and autofocus - but at a price.

Sony LA-EA2 E-Mount Adaptor for NEX - Only £249.00 - Park Cameras Online

Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA - Only £1,399.00 - Park Cameras Online

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!

That's $3000 over here!! I'll stay manual thank you The Sigma 18-35 is faster at F1.8 and costs $800 here and a dumb adapter is also cheaper ... I do admit that is IS a Zeiss lens so it's premium quality but it's sorta out of my league !! That's almost the price of an EA-50 with a lens!!

Chris
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Trustee

See I was thinking something like this
16-50mm f/2.8 Mid-Range Zoom Lens - SAL1650 Review - Sony US

IF the adapter would work. If it does I would get it just to expand the amount of lenses I wish I knew about it before I got the speed booster:)
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)