Metabones adapter problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 12th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Metabones adapter problems

Thanks Chris.

That's interesting. Yes, those shots were using the adapter. I manually set the iris to f1.8 on the Sigma. It is a VERY dimly lit room so I was personally impressed with the low light performance.. but if you think it should be better, I wonder what the problem could be?

I read on the Metabones website that there is a process you need to follow to "teach" the adapter what the open/closed limits of each 3rd party lens is. I went through the process this morning, but I will try it again in case I messed it up.

As for the noise, I just checked the video files again and it seems to be clean - it must just be the JPEG compression.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Jody

Just my results using a much faster lens surely would mean the gain needed should be much less.

What happens if you leave the lenses in full auto?? That might be worth a try ... the Sigma should need a LOT less gain to achieve correct exposure than the Sony lens

When I walk into a wedding reception shucks it's like someone has turned all the lights on! and with the stock lens I get a dirty brown image!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Right, so I just got back from my first proper shoot using the Metabones adapter and my new lenses.

I can now confirm that both the Sigma 18-35 and Tokina 11-16 lenses quite frequently get the "Cannot execute function because of the condition of the lens" error. This is interesting because the Tokina lens is on the Metabones website as being "compatible" with the adapter.

Edit:
I've just noticed the back of the adapter has come loose! Wow. I'm not impressed with this so far. Tightening up the screws fixed it, but I wish I'd noticed earlier, as the lens was moving slightly forward causing all sorts of focusing problems during my shoot.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

Before my camera bag got nicked I had a Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and if definitely had no focus issues. For Realty shoots I could in fact set it at 0.7 metres and it was in focus from 2' right to infinity ... Unless you are on top of a subject at infinity and let's say at least 6' away the lens will be sharp from just in front of you all the way out to infinity regardless of the focus ring setting as long as it's past the 3' mark. Your DOF at 11mm even at F2.8 is massive so you should be able to simply zone focus if stuff is a long way out! I'm assuming the adapter is running "dumb" ?? and not trying to auto focus the lens? It has been said that the AF via the adapter is very un-reliable!! Pity you don't have a dumb adapter to make sure you can figure where the fault is.

Yours are Canon mount right?? Why not find someone with a Canon still camera and test it on stills...you could even go into a camera shop and show interest in a Canon body and ask to test it with your Tokina lens ...that way you know for sure whether the lens is good or not?

Chris
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Jody

Before my camera bag got nicked I had a Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and if definitely had no focus issues. For Realty shoots I could in fact set it at 0.7 metres and it was in focus from 2' right to infinity ... Unless you are on top of a subject at infinity and let's say at least 6' away the lens will be sharp from just in front of you all the way out to infinity regardless of the focus ring setting as long as it's past the 3' mark. Your DOF at 11mm even at F2.8 is massive so you should be able to simply zone focus if stuff is a long way out! I'm assuming the adapter is running "dumb" ?? and not trying to auto focus the lens? It has been said that the AF via the adapter is very un-reliable!! Pity you don't have a dumb adapter to make sure you can figure where the fault is.

Yours are Canon mount right?? Why not find someone with a Canon still camera and test it on stills...you could even go into a camera shop and show interest in a Canon body and ask to test it with your Tokina lens ...that way you know for sure whether the lens is good or not?

Chris
Hi Chris,

Sorry, I edited my post about the focus issues, as I realised that the adapter mount had actually come loose. It was causing the lens to "lean" slightly forward from the mount, which was messing up the focus. It's fixed now.. but not impressed with the build quality of the adapter!
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Sadly the "Made in China" label often means a terrible build quality and poor tolerances too. My Stedicam from India had the same issues and I had to almost rebuild it but it still was a more economical alternative to buying the genuine thing from the USA at 10 times the price.

So apart from having exposure control what actual advantage does the Metabones adapter have over a dumb adapter? It's known that auto focus doesn't work very well and is not to be trusted and your model isn't a speed booster is it??

I think I'll stick with the German engineering of my Novoflex even if it was a little over-priced!!

Did you figure out why the lenses on the adapter didn't give you a huge difference in exposure? The Sigma should be massively different from the stock lens .. At weddings I often need to stop down a bit sometimes otherwise the image is just too bright!

Chris
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Major Player

Aside from automatic exposure, this adapter offers no benefits that I can tell.

If I can't sort out the automatic exposure, I might send it back to B&H and get myself a Novoflex adapter as you recommended.

I'm still hoping Steven might pop in and offer his 2 cents worth :)
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I appreciate the feedback Jody

I have been tempted/not tempted to get a Metabones for a few years now but after advice decided on the Novoflex ... I got a dumb adapter on eBay first for $39.95 and of course got what I paid for ... it didn't even fit on the camera and put heavy scrape marks on my Nikon lenses cos the other end was so tight! That went straight to the bin!! The Novflex is almost an extension of the camera and lenses go on silky smooth and the adapter is the same on the camera side too. I'm not sure if Canon mount lenses have an aperture ring (Nikons don't have one!) and if that's so you just need the normal adapter without the built-in aperture ring on the adapter body which should also be cheaper.

I have Nikon lenses so it was sensible for me to buy Nikon mount lenses so I can use them on both still and video!

Let us know if you fix the exposure side ...maybe because the fit is so bad, sometimes the adapter is not contacting the camera contacts correctly ??

This is why I use the adapters and I see they make a point about infinity focus too!!

All Novoflex Lens Mount Adapters are superior to the competition because:

* Guaranteed infinity focus – without relying on depth of field to reach infinity!

* Proper fit – lens to adapter to camera – without the looseness or play in other adapters!

* Elimination of flare thanks to matte black internal paint + ribbed inside baffles!

* Stronger locks to make sure the lens stays mounted to the adapter!

* Thicker flanges for a more secure mount to the body with less play between the adapter and the camera!

* No thin "leaf" type springs to keep the lens properly fitted to the adapter –

* Novoflex uses the same tension technique as the camera manufacturers!

* Aperture controller for those camera lenses without an aperture ring!

Chris
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Trustee

Hi Jody,

First, build quality, you are the very first person I know of to report issues with the fit. I am hard core about not using cheap machine work on my cameras. The Metabones adapters are generally not considered to be in the "cheaply made category". And you pay for them not to be. Do you have a Canon lens you can put on to see if it is equally as tight? If something feels to me like I am forcing a mount together forget it! I am done with it. The camera body is machined to spec and NO adapter or lens is worth compromising that. You might have an adapter that got by QC.

Second, loose screws, you are the second person to report this. Keep an eye on that situation.

Third, mode, glad you found the thread on how to set the default mode to advanced. I was going to dig it up for you as that information is not easy to find at all. The quickest way to make sure the adapter is in advanced mode is to look in the viewfinder. You should see zoom range and focus distance indicators. If you don't it is green mode. Green mode has no use on the EA50.

Fourth, aperture, even with my Canon lenses (I am all Canon) auto aperture does not work well. My issue is not as extreme as your though. Under certain conditions my auto aperture will flicker rapidly about a half stop as though it can not decide where to stop. And yes of course this is on the footage. I rarely use auto anything so this is not a big deal for me but I still wish it worked better.

Fifth, after market lenses have known issues with this adapter. And it is not just about the compatibly list. It seems to work for a lot of guys and then someone with the same lens will have problems. I don't recommend this adapter for non Canon glass.

So....I suspect you got a substandard adapter. I also don't think this is the right adapter for you because you run Sigma and Tokina glass.

As Chris says, he has had great success with his Novaflex. That may be a better option. I like my Metabones. It works for me, it is not for everyone.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #25
Contributor

I have two Metabones smart adapters, one on my Sony FS100 and the full frame version on my A7R. All my lenses are Zeiss ZE (EOS mount) except for two Canon L zooms. I was impressed with the build quality of the adapters, and they fit the camera like a Zeiss lens, and the Zeiss and Canon lenses work perfectly and fit solid and tight. So I haven't had any of the problems discussed here. I have one lens with IOS, the Canon 24-105, and IOS works great with the adapters. I've never used auto iris so I don't know if that works or not.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #26
Trustee

Bill,

Your experience and mine are common. There is lots of us out there that are perfectly happy with our adapter. That is the most common story and why I have been a Metabones supporter.

But then there are also what seems to be the rare cases of guys that just can't get things to work well for them. Usually it is with third party lenses. But even then they work for some guys. So I don't know if it is even fair of me to say they have "known issues" with third party glass.

I chalk it up to this: It is an electronic adapter. The possible combinations of lenses and camera bodies that just the EF to NEX adapter is supposed to work with is almost countless. We are talking about the entire NEX line of cameras times every EF mount lens ever made by a multitude of manufactures. That is a pretty lofty goal. I think that is why they DO work for the vast majority of users but the occasional incompatibility occurs. I can not explain why it is inconsistent.

They are very well made and they do not claim to be a bargain type of investment. They are not in the same league as cheap knock offs. In fact, they are the high quality innovator when it comes to the Speedbooster (I have the Smart Adapter). They are the ones that the counterfeit cheepo imitaters are counterfeiting.

I think Jody just happened to get a bad one with a tight fit.

Steve
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I'm sure Jody will appreciate your advice and I think I will stay where I am at this stage! Is there any other reason why you guys use the expensive Smart Adapter as opposed to a simple dumb one? AF seems to be frowned upon and you also seem to use manual exposure by choice. Am I missing something or is all this complex setup with Green and Advanced Modes necessary if you are manual OR is it because the adapter does allow the IS function of the lens to work?

Chris
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Steven, I appreciate the information.

I am probably going to return the Metabones adapter in favour of a Novoflex adapter. The only reason I went with the Metabones is automatic iris control. And as that doesn't work properly, I may as well get a cheaper dumb adapter that (hopefully) has a better fit.

Unfortunately I don't have a Canon lens or camera to test if it is the adapter at fault or my third party lenses, so I may take it into my local photography shop first to test it out.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #29
Trustee

Hey Chris,

Novaflex does not make a Sony NEX E-mount to Canon EF adapter. None of my Canon lenses have an aperture ring. The Metabones is the best option, I can set aperture and everything else using all standard controls on the camera. And I have all of my viewfinder data. Basically everything works except AF. Even the aperture flicker I mentioned is not common.

I don't think there is any dumb adapter that would work well. Some guys set the aperture with a still body and then move the lens to the video cam. To me, that is..........DUMB.

Steve
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

No issues for me as I have Nikon lenses and my Novoflex has an aperture control on it and all works perfectly ... Jody then does have an issue as he has Canon mount 3rd Party lenses. I wonder if one could have a Canon to Nikon and then onto the Novoflex?? I guess that would mess up the focal plane??

On the Novoflex site they do make a Canon FD to Nex but NOT an EF at all ..no idea why ...What mount do 3rd party lenses use when they say "Canon Mount"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)