Sony A mount adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sony A mount adapter

Out of curiosity which color preset do you use, I get much brighter pictures with 3 or 4 BUT I like the look of 2. 3 makes things look "flat" where 2 crushes the blacks and really makes the colors pop.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I have been fussing over picture profiles for a long time now. Currently I am still using PP3 but I have lifted the color level up two points. Being such a flat profile it still needs a bit of saturation boost for indoor shots and quite a lot for outdoor. In Sony Vegas I have to lift indoor footage from default (1) to (1.166) and outdoor footage from 1 to 1.333

The issue is to find a profile that you can use both indoors and outdoors ...If you read Dave Vickers post here, the golf video was shot with no profile (set it to "off" ...That gives awesome colour outdoors but indoor shots are over saturated and a bit red according to Dave.

I'm doing some tests today to see if it's better to use "no profile" and then leave outside footage as it stands and then correct my indoor footage ... at the moment I have to correct both indoor and outdoor

It's an ongoing dilemma but I'll try some footage today and see how Dave's suggestion works.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:53 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I did some shots today in the kitchen so under fluro lights but also some daylight coming in too.
Profiles 1, 5 and 6 are definitely much too contrasty
Profile set to "OFF" is quite nice but the blacks are a little too black so for indoors maybe too much contrast
Profiles 2 and 4 indoors are actually very nice and yes both 2 and 4 do pop the colour and would work well outdoors as well.

I think that in very low light and at night you might have to de-saturate PP2 or PP4 but the 5 and 6 and no profile would be an overkill under low light or venue light. I'll try a few shots under table lamps when it gets dark.

Outdoor shoots seem to be less critical than indoor using profiles but looking at them overall Maybe PP4 would be a good start point or even PP2 even though it's supposed to be a STILLS profile. I think it's very hard to tell until you actually shoot a wedding in one profile at look at the results. Maybe I need to lift my colour level in PP3 another two points which would mean just a tweak for outdoor shots as indoor would be fairly good ..however I do agree that PP2 does make the colours pop regardless of what it was designed for.

Last edited by Chris Harding; June 24th, 2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Update
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #19
Trustee

one of the reasons I want faster lenses is because I like the look of the the 2nd preset, 3 and 4 are good in low light because they bring the blacks to about 7.5 ire in a pinch i'll use them but I want to use 2 for the darker rich blacks and bright colors it gives.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)