Vote for new firmware update for Sony NEX-EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 14th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vote for new firmware update for Sony NEX-EA50

Vote for new firmware update for Sony NEX-EA50
Sony is hoping to meet!!!
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Vote for new firmware update for Sony NEX-EA50

A dslr gain/iso adjustment on the fly would be a necessity, along with a way to ride an audio channel if need be while on fly shooting off the shoulder.

Also maybe a quick electronic ND button option for when there is no time to screw on an ND filter. I recall a panasonic camera that had this function that came out around 2001-02.

Is there a way to formalize the request to a Sony Rep that is higher up on the corporate food chain to effect the changes!!!!???

I know that AJA monitors comments about their products on this forum as they've responded to one of my posts.

So it would be nice to have a voice from Sony present here to address comments and/or requests on the technical side as well as how to handle a firmware update.

Let's get it done.

Best,

Scott
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Don't get your hopes up, the only firmware changes Sony made so far included stuff nobody asked about, if there are any changes it's more likely to be in a version 2 and those they only made if it's a bestseller (like the rx100) The ea50 might be too unique and have to low sales it could be the last of it's kind.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't think that Sony would change anything in the camera unless it's a fault/oversight that would affect sales and then they often charge for it too and would need cameras recalled so it's an expensive operation for the manufacturer.

Panasonic had major issues with focus on their AC series cameras that couldn't be fixed with firmware so all cameras had to go in to a service centre and cost $300 for the upgrade.

No manufacturer will do a firmware upgrade for stuff that we "think would be useful" It has to be a major issue that makes that section of the camera unusable ... not simply stuff that we come up with that would make our life easier!

I wish they would add some of the suggested features already mentioned as well as ones in previous posts but don't hold your breath ...it's unlikely to happen!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

No manufacturer will do a firmware upgrade for stuff that we "think would be useful" It has to be a major issue that makes that section of the camera unusable ... not simply stuff that we come up with that would make our life easier!

Chris
Not always. The JVC HM600 was released with 1080 25/30p, 35mbit being the highest possible framerate and bitrate. A lot of people asked for 50/60p, so a few months ago they released an update that allows 1080 50/60p @ 50mbit.... for free!

They also added a few other nice features that their users asked for. But.. JVC might be the exception here. I've not heard of other manufacturers doing this.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

Good for JVC!! Then again their USA rep is often on the DVInfo forum so they do look and take note. Never seen a Sony guy on here ever!

Maybe you will get lucky and Canon will have a firmware update for the C100 with 50P included.

How are you liking your new toy so far?

Chris
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

as a lot of us, using the scroll wheel for smooth ISO adjustments is my main improvement needed ASAP
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It won't happen guys but as mentioned by others here - smooth scrolling through gain/iso would be nice
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Trustee

being able to reverse the iris wheel so up is open and down is closed. Should be simple enough.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Doesn't really affect manual lenses Randy ... If I use the stock lens it's usually a sports event all on full auto! Yeah the ability to dial up your iso would be nice. What I currently do is lock it's maximum at 21db and use the camera with a manual lens but on full auto so the iso and shutter look after themselves.

Still cannot see much hope of us getting a firmware update with all our wishes granted!

Chris
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Major Player

New version coming soon:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-br...duct-NEXEA50M/

Seems like the big change is that it comes with the 18-105 f4 G lens.

Might also have new sensor...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Dmitri

Sounds interesting but apart from the new lens and dual record buttons I wonder if they changed anything else. What is interesting is that they say it's an APSC sensor but with the F4 lens compared with the old F3.5 they now quote minimum light as 1.5lux compared to the old spec of 4lux ...If it's the same sensor I wonder if they might have updated the signal processing?

A FS100 sensor would have been neat!!! We will have to wait and see what is the same and what has changed

Thanks for the update

Chris
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
New version coming soon:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-br...duct-NEXEA50M/

Seems like the big change is that it comes with the 18-105 f4 G lens.

Might also have new sensor...
Interesting. I don't see anything there that would tempt me to upgrade. And still no ND filters is a big fail.

It will be interesting to see how the new lens/sensor performs though. Constant f4 aperture is nice. But I'm not sure if the slightly faster aperture is worth sacrificing the zoom range.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #14
Inner Circle

My longest manual lens is the same as the stock lens 18-200 but I seldom use either at weddings so with the normal low light at weddings and in Churches I prefer to use my 28-75 constant F2.8 ..or for slightly closer 17-50 also constant F2.8

I seldom have situations that need more than 75mm so 100 would be OK for me. I wouldn't sell my cameras and get the new M series at the moment as it's not worth the cash I would lose. It would have to have some really significant features that I simply couldn't live without before an upgrade would even be considered!

With the new model coming out I can see absolutely zero chance of a firmware release !!

Chris
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Same camera....They want to sell more of them. So they have designate the NEXEA50M as a cheaper way into the EA50 less the 200mm power zoom lens. I just read the specs, and it's the same sensor, same specs all the way thru. It's just cheaper with the 105mm F4 lens.

Marketing!!!

This means there will be more of these cameras out there with the price point of Sony Manufacturer's list of USA $3065.00 and $400 dollar rebate they want to roll that inventory on out asap.
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)