The EA50M available for pre-order at B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 19th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1
New Boot

The EA50M available for pre-order at B&H

Well, I take this as very good news... Our camera has not been phased out, it has ostensibly been improved.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076767-REG/sony_nex_ea50m_nxcam_camcorder.html
A quick scan shows a constant f4,18-105 stock lens and an updated sensor.

Don't count on any firmware updates to the original model at this point. :)

Darryl
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: The EA50M available for pre-order at B&H

and here's the Sony Pro page:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-br...duct-NEXEA50M/
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Its pretty much the same camera bundled with a different lens. I dont see anything about a improved sensor.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

On the Sony site the lux specs are now identical so it's simply the EA-50 with a cheaper lens BUt it does seem to have two record buttons now. Apart from that it's the same camera!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Trustee

2 record buttons?
Old August 19th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Major Player

The old model has 2 record buttons. 1 on the handle, 1 on the body by the hand-grip.

Does the new one have a 3rd?
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It certainly sounds like it?

The description says one record button starts recording via the card and the other via the MFU

In what instance would you use two record buttons.

Chris
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Trustee

Chris,
That was added with the 2.0 firmware update it means you can use the handle and the lens trigger to independently record to either the FMU or SD card. For what use I have no idea but its there im pretty sure this is the same camera with a different lens.
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Randy

That would certainly make a lot more sense than a third record button. So I guess you can "assign" say, the handle record button to the FMU and the normal one to the card? I really cannot see why one would do this unless you can maybe use a different format recording format to one device and another one to the other. I'm still trying to figure a practical use for this?

Have you updated your camera firmware yet?? Both mine are still on the original firmware. I didn't see anything on the update that would make it essential?

Chris
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:44 AM   #10
Inner Circle

F4 still to slow for me with this camera - Indoors at most locations with the stock lens I have to shoot wide to get f3.5 otherwise it ramps badly and the gain shoots up - Metabones adapter and fast Canon glass have saved me!

Still like this camera though - will be keeping it for next wedding season at least!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I agree Pete

For weddings F4 just is a bit too slow ...My limit is F2.8 on the main camera (either 17-50 or 28-75) but F1.8 on the Sigma 18-35 is awesome on the B-Camera!

It's not hard to work around the slow lens issue and I have been really pleased with the cameras for both commercial and wedding shoots. I actually sold my one stock lens and used the money to buy both the 28-75 (used) and the 18-35 F1.8 brand new ...it made sense and if I have a sporting event to shoot I still have the 2nd stock lens.

Both my cameras are keepers so far and I have had them 19 months now!!

Chris
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:06 AM   #12
Trustee

I agree but its faster than the stock lens. I was hoping it was a step in the right direction but Sony hasnt done much else since its release.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:56 AM   #13
Inner Circle

This camera is let down really by the stock lens - it's slow (literally if you are hoping to use the servo zoom) and a little unremarkable compared with decent glass - If I were buying again I would buy the body only and spend the saving on an adapter and good lens. My Canon glass adds a certain crispness whereas the stock lens can seem at times a little murky.

To make a difference this 'new' model should have come with a Zeiss zoom - now that would have been nice!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Sadly an EA-50 with a Zeiss zoom would probably bump up the price so it clashed with the FS100 and Sony wouldn't want that to happen.

I couldn't get a body only from Sony here but Global Media Pro had the EA-50K which comes from Singapore so I elected to simply sell off one stock lens to fund a decent one. If you are shooting mainly outdoors the stock lens does a good job and the AF is pretty good. I had to film a soccer match concentrating on just one player as an appraisal and in manual I don't think I would have coped so it does has it's uses. They seem to be quite popular on eBay anyway and sell quite easily.

Chris
Old August 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Trustee

The thing is it depends on how you look at it. Yes I would like a faster lens a 18-200 @ f2.8 is impossible BUT a 18-105 @ 2.8 would be magic! BUT when I compare my EA 50 VS my old AG-HMC 150s in low light (which I always thought the HMC 150s were great) I can shoot at 21 db gain and not see any noise where the 150 show significant noise at 6 db in fact you could go to 24-28 db gain on the EA 50 and still not be as noisy as the HMC 150 at 12 db. So a point can be made that the EA 50 is better in low light than the panasonic even with the stock lens. But when I get a 2.8 straight through lens the Sony REALLY blows the Panasonic away!
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)