The New NEX-EA50M NXCAM - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 14th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: The New NEX-EA50M NXCAM

Hi Steve

It seems that they have scrapped the original EA-50 sensor which was the same chip used in the A99 still camera and replaced it with a more HD friendly one that has less aliasing and maybe moire??

The way the world is going it seems that very soon our next camera will be a tenth of the size of what we have and also cost less too.

I have a buddy in Belgium already looking at the 3 axis stabiliser with a GoPro Hero 4 mounted on it....perfect stedicam footage that you can pickup in one hand, no lens changing, no focussing you simply pick it up and shoot and it produces 4K footage too!!

Maybe my next set of cameras won't be EA-50's at all and instead of taking up the entire back seat and trunk of the car my entire kit will soon be able to sit in a small bag on the passenger seat!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:55 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey guys! Here's what I'm hoping. My Canon 60d got stolen so I picked up a Sony a6000. It has a "Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor" which is an "updated" sensor from what I gather. The good thing... it has way way less moire and aliasing than anything I've used in large sensor cameras (60d, EA50, etc.). In fact, unless I need audio, I use the a6000 for gathering most of my b-roll now.
Here's a recent video with both the a6000 & EA50UH.
(Please keep technical comments to this thread and not on the video... It's pretty apparent which is which in terms of moire and aliasing.)

HOPEFULLY the EA50M has the same sensor as the a6000 and that will make the EA50 a much better camera in my opinion. BTW, I also have that lens that will be coming with it too (18-105 f4) its a nice little lens but the only thing I don't like on it is using it manually for zooms, its servo and not mechanical. Its ok, as I use zooms for reframing a shot but on a concert shoot, I'll stick with the 18-200 as I can do those fast zooms on fast beats ;-) Oh, there's severe pin-cushioning if using on say a FS100 or the like. The a6000 and EA50 fixes that in camera and you never see the issues (in case you read that anywhere that it has distortion.)
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM   #18
Trustee

Nice shooting Jerome. Your client should be very happy with that product.

Steve
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Jerome is back in da house! :) Great bakery promo, how is the a6000 low light performance compared to the ea50? I have received footage from the a6000 from a guy that also uses it as b-cam to his ea50, I hired him to shoot a wedding when I was not able to and when I saw his footage (I"ll be doing the editing) the a6000 footage was very underepxosed, especially at a dark venue where many shots are barely usable which makes me think he used a much to slow lens.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Nice shooting Jerome. Your client should be very happy with that product.

Steve
Thanks Steven! They LOVE that video! There's also 5 variations of a :30 TV commercial made from that too. (You could probably see them if you go to my vimeo videos...) The "Kingsport" one features my Mother and my kids :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Jerome is back in da house! :) Great bakery promo, how is the a6000 low light performance compared to the ea50? I have received footage from the a6000 from a guy that also uses it as b-cam to his ea50, I hired him to shoot a wedding when I was not able to and when I saw his footage (I"ll be doing the editing) the a6000 footage was very underepxosed, especially at a dark venue where many shots are barely usable which makes me think he used a much to slow lens.
Hey Noa!!! I was actually thinking about you the other day... hope you're doing well.

The a6000 is pretty decent in low light. I do find that I can shoot at a higher ISO on the EA50 though. One thing I've noticed is IF there is a bit of ambient light, I can shoot up to 4000 ISO on EA50, but if very dim light, I won't go over 2500 ISO (f2 or so.) The a6000, I find over 1600 ISO gets fairly noisy, HOWEVER, using a fast lens and playing with its DRO (Dynamic Range Optimizer) function, that helps without having to bump into higher ISO ranges. I helped a friend with a wedding and used the a6000 for a few test/not important shots, with a Rokinon Cine 12mm f2.2 and at 1600 ISO it was really nice. (I don't have the footage to show as I shot on his memory card...)

In decent light and controlled environment filming, its a great little camera and especially to combat the moire and aliasing! The three main things I HATE about it: NO/ZERO/ZILCH audio inputs, it WILL overheat filming in 60p outside on a warm day, and it drinks the battery juice! I have 4 batteries and might get another 2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)