DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Servo zoom for SLR lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/524615-servo-zoom-slr-lenses.html)

Randy Johnson August 22nd, 2014 11:56 AM

Servo zoom for SLR lenses

Does anyone know if there is a practical third party way of putting servo zoom in a 35 mm lens? I thought there was at one point but I can find it.

Peter Rush August 23rd, 2014 02:26 AM

Re: Servo zoom for SLR lenses

I believe this is what you seek

Zacuto Control Grip & Z-Motor Make Any Zoom an ENG Lens, Plus New OLED EVFs

Pete

Chris Harding August 23rd, 2014 03:27 AM

Wow! I bet that will cost quite a few pennies ..I wonder how easy it will be to change lenses that have different barrel diameters so the power zoomer fits it???? I really don't think it's worth the hassle ..Far easier to strap a lever around the zoom ring and do it manually and way cheaper too!!

Chris

Randy Johnson August 23rd, 2014 02:36 PM

yeah just a thought the servo zoom is the only thing I really cant live without if I could get that on my 35 mm lenses I would be happy as a clam.

Chris Harding August 23rd, 2014 07:20 PM

Hi Randy

What is so important about a power zoom at weddings? I think the only time I might do an actually zoom is when they sign the register and when they cut the cake. I'll do a slow zoom in and then out later on both events but that's really about it and doing that manually isn't a big deal either. Getting one of those lens ring levers and clipping it onto the zoom ring as well as the focus ring might help but the add on power unit will not only be heaps more money but you also will need to keep it's battery charged.

Besides you already HAVE a servo zoom on the camera ...The 2X digital zoom is really all you need if you want a genuine power zoom and I doubt whether anyone will pick up the tiny decrease in resolution.

I do have my cameras both switched to digital zoom at all times as I'd rather reframe the shot in camera quickly and get it right!!

Do you have to do zooms that are VERY long???

Chris

Michael Spanheimer August 24th, 2014 01:53 AM

As far as i understood this servo zoom will cost some thousand dollars...
maybe a bit over the edge for a camera like the ea50... but probably nice to have.

Chris Harding August 24th, 2014 06:20 AM

Hi Randy

You could always sell the EA-50 and get one of the new JVC HM850's !!! Shoulder mount, brilliant balance and a new Fujinon 20X zoom lens with servo zoom and autofocus unlike the older 750's

I'm warming to them too but they are quite pricey here ! About $2000 more than the EA-50 and then you still need to buy very expensive V-Mount batteries as they don't come with the camera so I guess one might expect a final price tag close to $7K or 8K

They would certainly solve any lens, servo zoom and autofocus issues but at a cost!!

Chris

Randy Johnson August 24th, 2014 11:44 AM

Chris,
I think we have very different shooting styles:) I use the servo zoom A LOT I am particular about good close ups during pre-sessions and re-sessions.So I use my zoom when they come into the church when they leave when they are announced at the reception and also for table shots and bouquet and garter toss.A lot of guys in my area just leave it on a medium wide for shots like the pre session and let the bridal party simply walk through I dont find that acceptable. I think for me the 18-105 @ f4 will be fine 2.8 would be better but I can put that on for all the times I need zoom then switch to my 17-50 or 80-200 as needed. BTW I can see that servo adapter working because some lenses you push and pull to zoom. I too am giving the new JVC a really close look but not for a year or two. I still like the filmy look the Sony gives me I just wish I had a better lens selection.

Peter Rush August 25th, 2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1858877)
Hi Randy

What is so important about a power zoom at weddings? I think the only time I might do an actually zoom is when they sign the register and when they cut the cake. I'll do a slow zoom in and then out later on both events but that's really about it and doing that manually isn't a big deal either. Getting one of those lens ring levers and clipping it onto the zoom ring as well as the focus ring might help but the add on power unit will not only be heaps more money but you also will need to keep it's battery charged.

Chris

Chris I really miss my servo zoom that I had on my Sony Z1 - I could operate zoom with my right hand on the rocker and focus with my left hand on the lens - It kind of can be done with a manual lens but you loose stability. Also that zoom was lightning fast - ahh I miss the old days :)

Chris Harding August 25th, 2014 05:24 AM

Hi Pete

Funny I do too and that's why I was looking at JVC's new shoulder mount camera ... servo zoom that is 20X and fast too and you have the luxury of manual or auto focus ... with 1/3rd chips there are no DOF issues either even with the lens wide open at F1.6 and it has much the same sensitivity as an FS100.

Then again I have grown to love my EA-50's with lenses to suit all applications and the HM850 is double the price before you buy the pricey V-mount batteries!! One day I might be tempted of course but I got lazy with servo zooms and auto focus on my old cameras so with the EA-50's on manual it's kinda fun again!

I wonder with less camera issues like you used to have on your Z5, do we actually put more effort into the composition and expression during the shoot as we virtually don't need to worry about the camera?

Chris

Peter Rush August 25th, 2014 06:58 AM

One day a camera will come along with exactly everything we need - of course we'll all be retired by then ;) The JVC sounds interesting but what will it be like in low light? The beauty of the EA50 is the fact that we can use fast lenses and get some nice shallow DOF shots - perfect for me - I find some wedding shots hard to get with it though - processional/recessional/B&G announced into the wedding breakfast - for these I'd need to use the stock lens for it's autofocus but quite often it's too dim so I resort to my CX730 and then back to my EA50 - swapping cameras though is a pain - one camera that does everything would be a dream.

Pete

Chris Harding August 25th, 2014 07:14 AM

Hi Pete

From the samples I have seen it's pretty darn good in low light but, of course, nothing near your A7S which seems to have night vision goggles attached to the front. The lenses actually are interchangeable (if you can afford Fujinon lenses that is!!) Your DOF even at F1.6 on the JVC is still pretty big as it only has 1/3rd chips .... With the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 on my EA-50 I'm quite impressed and can nowdays run around the reception without any lighting apart from when all the lights go out during dancing.

Yeah we might probably be retired by the time we change cameras but knowing me, I'll probably keel over on my late 80's still with a camera in my hand so there is no harm in looking ! ... I also look at Ferrari's at the car yard up the road but it's like looking at a hot super model ...you admire her, even dream about her but you know you are not going to get her!

Chris