Sony VBD-MA1 Multi-Function DVDirect Blu-Ray Disc Double-Layer Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VBD-MA1 Multi-Function DVDirect Blu-Ray Disc Double-Layer Recorder

Waiting for my Blu-Ray recorder to come in, will confirm that I can do direct from cam dump down to Blu-Ray. Unfortunately the product has been discontinued from Sony.

The VBD-MA1 can also be used as an external burner on pc/mac as well as a stand alone burner with composite/rca inputs, DV-ilink, and usb output.

Will put it thru it's paces with the EA-50

Having the ability to give the client a disc after the shoot is something that can generate more business, and satisfy that immediacy need that the client has to have the product.

My search started for an external burner and it resulted in wanting more features like a stand alone recorder and the result is the VBD-MA1.

Shame sony discontinued the product, copyright wars in hollywood ended the recorder market
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony VBD-MA1 Multi-Function DVDirect Blu-Ray Disc Double-Layer Recorder

Scott,

Be careful, optical disc recording never took off in the professional audio visual world for several reasons. It is not a reliable way to record and it is dangerous. By dangerous there are two big issues. It is impossible to monitor the signal on the disc. If you hook a monitor up to the deck your looking at a pass through video signal, that's not confirming the signal is going to the disc. Yes I know we are all using cameras and decks without heads these days, but with most of our pro digital gear you are monitoring a signal post sensor or electronic processing.

They are also famous for corrupt files. Everything my look good while your recording but you go to playback and your screwed with a file that did not finalize properly or whatever. Very unreliable.

I would love to hear your results. I have done it and held my breath every time. And that was with SD DVD. It sounds like you might be talking HDMI to Blu-Ray? That is a lot of data and processing going on. I hope it works. Please let me know.

There is a long, old thread in the SPC forum from a guy who does it successfully, I think, it has been a while since I read it.. You might want to check that out. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-sing...ity-check.html

Steve
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Steven,

The burner comes today. I just shot a job today and will be burning it to Blu-Ray today. I did a lot of research on this and feel this will be a great solution for me.

Discs need to be finalized to work in other manufacturer's Blu-Ray players. That's key to the process. It's great for backing up cards in field as it's a stand alone unit, no need for a computer.

I will post results, shot tonights job on 24p, 17mbps mode so it's small, about 2hrs worth of footage. Ought to fit on 25gb Blu-Ray.

Disc will be burned direct from card.

Burn time ought to be 2hrs or less.

The compactness of this unit ensures it can travel with my camera kit.

Will post results.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the link.

Best,

Scott
Old August 30th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Burned 1st Blu-ray. Works fast. 1 hr burn for 2hrs shot at 24p 17mbps. Works in Blu-ray player without a problem.

Very happy with performance as I used my SD card as a source.

Attached a picture to show unit in operating(tried but wouldn't upload)

Next tests involve shooting at a higher frame rate and higher quality mbps.

From what I'm seeing I'm thrilled with just being able to get the raw footage onto a Blu-ray so fast and conveniently.

Unit operates quietly and has a small footprint, which is great in terms of portability and including it in the camera kit.

Will post as I complete more tests.

Best,

Scott
Old August 30th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Scott,

Burning to a disc of your recorded media is a great thing to do for various uses. My comments in my other post were referring to situations where I thought you might be giving the burner a live feed from the camera with the intent of handing the client a functional DVD (blu-ray or otherwise) on the spot. Those are the recordings I consider to be risky. Using it to transfer raw data files is a different story.

I record a lot of live events that end up delivered as finished DVDs. I would love to make that product in real time. In theory you can, in the real world you can not count on it being a reliable way to go. That was the video input process I was referring to.

What model burner did you get? I am confused about that because you referred to one you said is discontinued and it is. I am very interested in what your doing. It applies to some of my gigs too. I am glad your first project was a success.

Steve
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sony VBD-MA1 is what I used. It's AVCHD compatible. Going direct from card, not real time but really fast. took 1hr to do 2hrs of footage of 24p recorded in 17mbps.

The Sony VBD-MA1 is a standalone burner and also has usb connection to be used as external burner from FCP on my mac. Machine also has rca inputs for feed as well. It's a great product. why they discontinued it we will never know. I searched the web high and low for anything like it.

JVC offers some burner units but are not as compact or sony compatible.

Here is a link to b&h for base unit:

JVC SR-HD1350US Blu-ray Disc & HDD Recorder SR-HD1350US B&H

Not feasible on my budget, but an option none the less. They offer more robust units but of course pricing is in sync with that.

Best,

Scott
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)