DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Sony Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/524756-sony-lens.html)

Randy Johnson September 2nd, 2014 07:57 PM

Sony Lens

This kinda grinds my gears so to speak,
Sony makes the perfect lens for me
16-50mm f/2.8 Mid-Range Zoom Lens - SAL1650 Review - Sony US
but doesnt make it for the NEX 50

Marlon Martins September 2nd, 2014 08:36 PM

Re: Sony Lens

indeed, 16-50 would be a nice range, and 2.8 even better... :(

Aaron Jones Sr. September 2nd, 2014 08:40 PM

Would we be able to take full advantage with the Amount adapter? I really would not like to spring for it if that is the only 2.8 zoom they have right now.

Randy Johnson September 2nd, 2014 08:45 PM

No servo zoom no matter what and thats what I need:(

Chris Harding September 2nd, 2014 09:32 PM

To work correctly you need an LAEA4 adapter which is $349 plus the lens at $799 ...that is pricey!!

I have my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 on a dumb adapter for $249.00 for that lens and it's super sharp but of course it's manual ..I have no issues at all with it and focus is so easy .. Paying nearly $1200 just to get AF seems crazy to me ... at 17mm your DOF is huge anyway so you are unlikely to out of focus anyway!

Chris

Randy Johnson September 3rd, 2014 08:57 AM

Chris,
Even with that adapter you still dont get servo zoom right? My beef is why doesnt sony make more lenses for the EA 50?

Aaron Jones Sr. September 3rd, 2014 05:15 PM

I would imagine that it is because they meay think the market is not big enough for a sizable return.

Chris Harding September 3rd, 2014 05:34 PM

I really don't see the big deal with servo zoom! The correct use for a zoom lens is to reframe the shot and really nothing else. The human eye cannot zoom so doing a zoom whilst recording is un-natural to the viewer but in a few cases it does look cool and does play a part but I still don't think it's that important!

Does anyone have special shots that can only be achieved with a powered zoom and impossible to do with a manual zoom? I can understand the need for a nice autofocus lens especially with stuff like sports but I cannot really see why anyone would HAVE to have a servo zoom?

Enlighten me please Randy

Chris

Randy Johnson September 3rd, 2014 06:05 PM

Well as I said before we have different styles servo zooms are the norm for video shooters and I use mine often or at least often enough that I cant live without it. When I get time I will post some examples.;

Randy Johnson September 3rd, 2014 06:10 PM

ok check out my videos on my website (dont laugh:)) look specifically at ceremony sample and beautiful day and you will see how I use zoom.

Chris Harding September 3rd, 2014 08:24 PM

Thanks Randy

That would be good. The only time I use active zoom is when they sign the register and I zoom in to the paper work and then at the reception I sometimes zoom into the knife cutting the cake.

Interesting to see how others do stuff Post the link or if that's a problem just send me a PM with the link

Chris

Randy Johnson September 3rd, 2014 09:13 PM

yeah I said check out my website and I guess I didnt paste the link...duh!

Videos - Alternative Productions DE

Chris Harding September 3rd, 2014 09:38 PM

Hi Randy

Thanks ..OK I see how you work. I tend to use more camera movement rather than zooming so I would use the zoom far less than you. Where you zoom in or out, I will either move with the camera either closer or further or I simply stop and reframe and shoot a new clip. My photoshoot stuff is all done on stedicam so there is a lot of camera movement there without zooming.

I can now see why you need a servo zoom ...then again you don't zoom a lot so if you had to use a manual lens you could always get away using digital zoom. I sometimes use it to make small adjustments to the framing. During the ceremony I shooting with two cameras anyway plus a GoPro on a stand so I can vary the shot nicely!!

Thanks again for the link... Is the player you are using set to 16:9 ?? The video of the bride walking in looked a little squashed so the player might be set to 4:3 still??

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. September 4th, 2014 01:10 AM

Digital Zoom is only 2X right?

Chris Harding September 4th, 2014 01:21 AM

Hi Aaron

Correct but if you want decent quality it's best to only go to about 1.5X ... On wide angle lenses even it can help nicely .. My reception lens of choice is a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 so with digital zoom I effectively have 18 all the way to 70mm although I seldom go more than 50mm .. It doesn't sound like a lot of zoom but in a packed reception venue it's plenty of zoom and is easier to reframe the shot by just a tiny touch of zoom to get some annoying person out of the frame. Even with bigger zoom lenses it can help you get a shot that normally would be too far away!! It's a BIG jump going from 200mm on the stock lens up to say 300 -350 (using only 1.5X zoom. You will get a little loss of resolution at full zoom but it\'s hard to tell the difference when you go just halfway especially if you add a little sharpening in post.

If you look at Randy\'s wedding sample he doesn\'t zoom back very much anyway so on a manual lens I reckon he would get away with it easily!!!

Chris