Sony announces PXW-FS7 4K UHD Camera, This is what the EA50 is as 4K shooter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 12th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony announces PXW-FS7 4K UHD Camera, This is what the EA50 is as 4K shooter

Seems the EA50 will be an entry level e-mount lens camera with the PXW-FS7 being the flagship for e-mount.

This camera is a beast for innovations, and has all the things that EA50 shooters would appreciate:

ND filtration on board, remote zoom mount, versatile form factor for shooting----etc.!!!!

It shoots 4K at 600mbps!!!, this is DSLR killer for sure, and it will mix up the broadcast world. Wifi and NFC are onboard so this is a great platform.

MSRP is going to be below $10K USA. Looks like they are going to include the new lens a 16-135mm F4 zoom thru.

Does 240 fps slow mo.....looks like this is the way to go. Looks like the EA50 has evolved, it's just turned into a higher end platform that you need to buy into.

I'd say keep the EA50 in your camera stable and get this camera. The EA50 is a great tool, The PSW-FS7 is a refined, sleek, highly functional 4k/2k precise instrument---it's hard to stay in the technology loop of upgrades, but I think not signing up to this upgrade is akin to staying in the digital stone age when looking at it from a perspective of hindsight 2 years from now. Like it or not 4k will be a reality---then 8K, then 10K.....etc.!!!

Sony Announces Documentary-Style PXW-FS7 4K UHD Camera | Studio Daily
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony announces PXW-FS7 4K UHD Camera, This is what the EA50 is as 4K shooter

The brochure says 180fps slo mo, not 240fps ...
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Sony announces PXW-FS7 4K UHD Camera, This is what the EA50 is as 4K shooter

Was excited to make post, forgive my inaccuracies. also the f4 lens it comes with is 28-135mm F4 not what I posted prior.

It was announced today. Specs are outstanding.
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sony FS7 launched, portable Super35 4K camera, exclusive hands-on video | cinema5D

Nice overview of pre-production unit.
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nocella View Post
MSRP is going to be below $10K USA. Looks like they are going to include the new lens a 16-135mm F4 zoom thru.
Below $10.000 for body only.
Below $13.000 with kit lens (new 28-135 servo zoom cine lens)
Accessory Pack (needed to shoot raw etc): $2500
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yuk!! It's really an ugly camera in my opinion but I'm sure it will be a winner on the technical side. To do things correctly I think you would have to budget overall around $15K per camera

For me that's way too much capital expenditure for the return I get on weddings ..I suspect it would pay for itself in a corporate shoot scenario.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Trustee

Well that's it Chris. I agree. All depends on the sort of work you're doing and if you can justify the expense. As you've clearly said your EA50's suffice for wedding work.

If some one was to have the money today to buy the FS700 or this FS7, they may well go for the FS7 as they will be at a similar price point.

What I won't understand is why certain people will sell their FS700's at a loss to buy the FS7 when it's clearly been said the FS7 isn't a replace for the FS700.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Well, The FS700 does not cost as much as the FS7. There is a bit of a price break. Especially is you cfan get one in great condition pre-owned.

New Sony NEX FS700 $6900 here in the US.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Trustee

You're right Aaron but I mean, buying an FS700 that is ready to shoot 4K like for like. The Odyssey 7Q recorder will set you back an additional $4000 I would of thought, with hard drives drives / license etc.

Again, at pre-owned prices you would probably still be better off buying the FS700. But most registered businesses will most likely buy new so they can reclaim back VAT / Taxes.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, Sony can say it's not a replacement for the FS700 all they want, but
'If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....'

It sure seems to me there is a lot of overlap. E-mount for lens flexibility,
high frame rates, built in ND filters, better internal codec. Ability to do 4k
internally. Even the 'future upgradability' that the FS700 also offered. Sure
looks like a FS700 replacement to me. Seems like they listened to FS700
owners complaints and tried to address them (better ergonomics, 10 bit codec,
internal 4k) all while keeping the lighter weight body, cheaper batteries and
media, and more flexible lens mount which made the FS700 so popular.
And pretty similar price to what a new FS700 used to cost. They are squarely
aiming at the lower mid range market with this cam.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #11
Trustee

Instant differences that stand out to me are the fact the FS700 use the NP-F batteries which are cheap as chips to buy now (I say cheap but you know what I mean).

And the fact the FS700 has much higher frame rates for high speed recording.

Regarding 4K, we already have the Odyssey 7Q and the Atomos Shogun soon.

The only negative factor in my opinion would be the ergonomics ... but wack a FS700 on to a Manfrotto monopod and you're laughing. I would rather use a monopod over my shoulder any day of the week.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Looking at it from a distance, I do however like the fact that they went and made a shoulder cam that works as a shoulder cam. It looks like a well balanced shoulder shooter and I'm sure there will be a host of after market pads and what not for it soon.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nocella View Post
this is DSLR killer for sure
Not sure what this camera has to do with a dslr, unless you can use it as a photocamera as well or hang it over your shoulder on a strap while you are on holiday?
I don't even see it as a "pro" version of the ea50 but rather a improved version of the fs700. The ea50 is a dslr but with another formfactor, it's in no way related to the FS7, you might as well compare the FS7 to my sony handicam.The FS7 is more a camera in the same range as the BMD ursa.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #14
Trustee

I think this is kinda like the 4K of the Cannon xl-1 its a camera with a fairly open architecture aimed at film guys
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Space Hipster

Sony says it won't replace the FS700 or F5. But I'm certain it will cannibalize sales of both. It has better features and form factor than the FS700, at just a slightly higher price. It has many features of the F5, but at a much cheaper price - around $6,000 less.

Sony seems willing to sacrifice the FS700 and the F5 to go after the C300. I think they want to dominate the market the C300 has had for years.

In my opinion, this is darn near a perfect camera . For me, anyway. Great shoulder design, very adaptable lens mount, 4K internal recording, or good ol' HD, take your pick. And at a price that's thousands less than the competition.
And remember, the cheaper Sony 18-105 and 18-200 power zoom lenses also work with this camera. Not for 4K, but they're fine up to 1080/60P. So, $8,000 for the body and $500-1,000 for the cheaper zooms, add some XQD cards and you're ready to roll.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)