DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   cheapo NEX to Canon EF lens adaptor with F Control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/525033-cheapo-nex-canon-ef-lens-adaptor-f-control.html)

Francisco Estrada September 19th, 2014 04:06 PM

cheapo NEX to Canon EF lens adaptor with F Control

1 Attachment(s)
How's it going guys. Just got my "EF-NEX EF-EMOUNT FX Lens Mount Adapter for Canon EF EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount" for about $105.

Here's what I bought:
Amazon.com : Signstek Newest Version Electronic Auto Focus EF-NEX EF-EMOUNT FX Lens Mount Adapter for Canon EF EF-S Lens to Sony E Mount NEX 3/3N/5N/5R/7/A7 A7R Full Frame Frame : Camera Lens Adapters : Camera & Photo
(sorry don't feel like HTMLing)

My experience so far. Only the F control works. Although it says auto focus and even IS is suppose to work with some lenses it hasn't for me. But really though I am happy enough knowing F control works. Also when changing F Stop on my camera you can hear it and its probably going to be loud enough for the mic to pick up.

The lenses I tried it with
Sigma 18-35 F1.8
tammy 24-70 F2.8
canon 18-55 F2.8

I read something in some of the reviews about an issue with reflective lighting when using full frame lenses but I haven't experience any of that yet..

Chris Harding September 19th, 2014 06:29 PM

Re: cheapo NEX to Canon EF lens adaptor with F Control

Thanks

The AF probably only works with FF lenses or not at all. I have yet to see any adapter do auto focus successfully.

Just for interest if you switch the camera to full auto what actually works and what doesn't???

Chris

Marlon Martins September 20th, 2014 12:25 AM

good to know that the commlite adapter works with sigma 18-35mm. i will get one of those soon ;)

Francisco Estrada September 20th, 2014 02:31 PM

Hello Chris

When you switch from Manual to Auto itll go into auto shutter and auto gain but F control will stay manual which is nice. no error messages.

When you press the Auto Iris button itll give you a lens error message that you can just X out of and stays in manual iris.

When you switch to auto focus on the camera itl give you the same error message.

The error message doesnt seem to disrupt recording.

When you switch to auto focus on the lens the lens will just go to some random really out of focus spot. best to just keep the lens on MF and turn off IS.

IS seems to just stay off the entire time.

I read reviews about this causing other NEX devices to lock up when switching to auto something which forces you to hard restart the camera. So ill probably use it when filming shorter clips at first and be cautious.

I am trying to think what else I should test. Wouldn't want any surprises at the day of an event.
expanding focus, changing PP, and digi zoom are working.

I also honestly don't feel the need to updating any firmware. iam happy enough F control works.

Chris Harding September 20th, 2014 07:40 PM

Thanks Franscisco

That was great giving us all the info and issues.

So am I correct in saying that compared to a dumb adapter all it really does correctly is allow you to control the iris ??

Chris

Peter Rush September 21st, 2014 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1862086)
Thanks

The AF probably only works with FF lenses or not at all. I have yet to see any adapter do auto focus successfully.

Just for interest if you switch the camera to full auto what actually works and what doesn't???

Chris

IMO you will never get AF to work to your satisfaction - both my Metabones adapters (one a speedbooster and the other the smart adapter) will perform AF but really slowly and not always accurate - even Metabones say that AF is not suitable for professional applications.

Pete

Wolfgang Wally September 21st, 2014 03:42 AM

Hi Francisco!

Do you mean that's is the same http://goo.gl/J2IfZz?
And do you know if it works with the Tamron 17-50/2,8 like this http://static.clickbd.com/global/cla...2_original.jpg ? Thanks for Info!

Aaron Jones Sr. September 21st, 2014 08:16 PM

Hi Wolfgang,

I also have the Commlite adapter and I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 and they both work with this adapter.

Like it was mentioned above the AF does not work at all! But I knew that going in and I wanted to MF my zoom and focus. It does control the aperture automatically and works well.

I bought the Commlite From Amazon for $85 and the Viltrox EF-NEX II From Ebay for $130. As of right now I would have to say that the both work exactly the same with no difference at all.

Marlon Martins September 21st, 2014 10:07 PM

there are a few reviews on youtube, one which the guy said it had problems with the viltrox, but the commlite worked well. so i guess the commlite is the cheapest "good bet"

Chris Harding September 21st, 2014 10:27 PM

I still admit I prefer a dumb adapter for aperture! That way I can also control DOF ...I have see issues where "smart" adapters will jump the iris for no reason when in auto and I certainly don't want that going on when I'm doing non-repeatable events like a wedding ceremony!

Both my dumb adapters have a ring on the adapter that allows you to open or close the iris to whatever you need. I still run my EA-50's in auto so based on how much light I "allow" the lens to let onto the sensor the cam then decides what shutter and ISO to use and exposure is close to perfect!!!

Just for interest do these guys make an adapter for Nikon mount to NEX?? and if you say, swing the camera from bright outdoors to deep shade, is the iris change smooth and fast???

Amazingly enough my cheapest adapter (a Fotga for $15.00) works the best as when I bought it, it simply was way too tight for the camera so using an emery board (my wife's nail file!!) I did a bit of careful sanding to get it just perfect. My Novoflex which cost me $220.. (also dumb) has now become a tiny bit sloppy so I need to be careful that I don't accidentally turn it!!!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. September 22nd, 2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon Martins (Post 1862264)
there are a few reviews on youtube, one which the guy said it had problems with the viltrox, but the commlite worked well. so i guess the commlite is the cheapest "good bet"

I seen that video but, it was for the A7S. I have had no issues what so ever. If you ask me I would say they both have the same firmware and the only difference would be the housing. It is like they make a different housing and slap difference brand names on them and send them out. I kind of shy away from the Commlite because it has felt on the inner rim to prevent ghosting. I'm worried that the felt will shed and get particles on my sensor. So I default to my Viltrox. Just came back from Niagra Falls and i took my Viltrox and both of my Tamron lenses to get more experience with them both. I wanted to learn what I can and can't do with them. I did not have one problem at all. Commlite is the cheaper adapter and other than the felt I have nothing bad to say about either one. I do find that the viltrox may be just a tab bit more solid in terms of the connection.

Wolfgang Wally September 22nd, 2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. (Post 1862256)
Hi Wolfgang,......
I bought the Commlite From Amazon for $85 and the Viltrox EF-NEX II From Ebay for $130. As of right now I would have to say that the both work exactly the same with no difference at all.

Ok, thanks. It's the same provider, so i will order there also and test ist!

Aaron Jones Sr. September 22nd, 2014 01:19 AM

One more thing I forgot to mention is that neither one of these adapters come with caps. I ended up ordering some off Amazon. It may be a good idea to keep that in mind.

Francisco Estrada September 28th, 2014 03:31 PM

Hello guys

Chris, yes it will only control Iris. I tried fooling around with AF around for a bit but I don't think there is no chance AF will ever work. (not that I would trust it if it did)

Woldgang, that was the other one I was looking at. It seems to be newer but I think its the same. Its got the same brand, text imprints, dots and screws. I guess the only difference is the color. I suppose having the white one is more useful in finding it when you have a million other black colored things in your camera bag.

OK UPDATE. I had no problems with it on a wedding I did last night. I wouldn't have thought that I would need iris control that much but I ended up using it when I alternating between shooting a bright stage and the darker dance floor. Or when I walked out to the lobby area where the lights were turned on more. I haven't check the video yet but I'll update this post if I do find something.

This might be more off the subject but I am thinking of getting another camera. I don't know if I am getting a 2nd canon 70D or the NEX VG30. I am leaning more and more to the VG30 and use it with a blackbird stabilizer that I am planning to buy.

Wolfgang Wally October 2nd, 2014 04:20 AM

Hi!
I get my Commlite today and it works, but ONLY manuell, no AF! Did anyone knows or is a "tricky way" possible by mounting the adapter to get it running?

Edit: Iris function is well! :-)