Sony adapter questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony adapter questions

Is there a reason why this lens
SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
With the Sony A mount adapter
would work better than just getting
Nikon Zoom Nikkor 28 70 mm F 2 8 AF s D If M A Ed Lens | eBay

With either my Speed booster or Nike to NEX adapter?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony adapter questions

I'm not that versed in this but I would say there are a couple of things to consider.

1. The A series adapter - Are you planning on using it in AF or manual focus? The third party adapters AF does not mostly work. On the Metabones it works but not that well. I think that A mount adapter will AF works descent but is a little slow according to some youtube videos i saw.

2. The Carl Ziess is $1300 more on the tag. not sure if you will see that type of quality over the Nikkon as i use Canon. In my opinion I would not want to get a $2k lens and put on a adapter that will slow the response of the lens.

Anyway i'm interested in hearing what the others opinions are...
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Just ordered my dumb adapter yesterday with the manual iris ring. My Viltrox has been showing some issues in my footage. I have seen while filming a talk TV show evidence of a slight dark fade in and out. it only last a fraction of a second but I still notice it. Also the aperture problem where if you are in extreme lighted area the auto iris will not respond well when you go to a normal lit environment. That has happened during a wedding day going from outside to inside. Good thing I had to cams because I had to finally turn the EA50 off then back on to get it to adjust properly. I decided to get this one @ Amazon for $43.00 US.
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can't stress this enough guys - if you are looking for an adapter that will give you AF with 3rd party lenses you will be disappointed - even the daddy of them all, the Metabones only provides limited AF - I have two (Smart Adapter and Speedbooster) and even though the adapter is a must have, the AF is useless IMO

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Pete

I never tried a Metabones as the cost is crazy here. I could buy a new third party lens for the price they want for the adapter. I have never heard of anyone having any success with auto focus and a lot seem to have issues now and again with iris control so I just stick to manual.

I don't think any AF is very good with big chip cameras ..on a CMOS 3 chip camcorder your DOF is so massive that the focus can easily be out a few feet and you could never spot it, so AF works fine on these cameras even if it's only approximate.

Funny thing is that my expensive Novoflex is now starting to become a little loose on the camera side so you have to be really careful when adjusting anything that you don't turn the whole adapter barrel ..that cost me $300!! I also bought a cheapie one on eBay for (wait for it) $15.00 and admittedly that one needed some minor abrasive work with wife's emery board on the front flanges so it fitted smoothly on the body but apart from that it works perfectly and doesn't turn at all .. Maybe I need to buy another one and ditch the Novoflex?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Chris - I can only speak from my experience but I have the metabones speedbooster for my EA50 and the metabones smart adapter for my Sony A7s and both have worked without fault - I had one issue with loss of focus with the speedbooster but that was because the 4 small screws on the camera side had come loose - not bad after a year's worth of abuse! I tightened them up and was back in business :)

I thought the EA50 was a good camera when I bought it, if a little underwhelming, but the ability to use quality glass makes it great IMO

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; October 19th, 2014 at 08:04 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Pete,

I never was looking for auto focus with the smart adapters. I was looking for auto iris control with the adapter. After reading reviews on the Metabones and watching the Youtube videos I'm not so sure i would have great luck with that adapter either. i will give the dumb adapter a try and see what happens.
Old October 20th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Major Player

If you are looking at adapters, you might want to check out at Mike Tapa's line www.lensadaptor.com. Although they are located in England, they got me an adaptor in Florida in less than 48 hours. Their prices are in the same range as Metabones, and their service is the best I have ever seen in any company. Many of their adaptors have a manual iris, for those lenses that don't.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)