Best price yet! $800.00 rebate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Trustee

Best price yet! $800.00 rebate

Sony is offering an $800.00 rebate on the EA50

B&H $3,200.00 less $800.00 = $2,400.00

This deal is for the original model with the 18-200mm lens.

FWIW I paid a premium for mine because I bought it the month it was released at $3,600.00

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Dollar for dollar this camera is an amazing value. At $2,400.00 it is a steal.

Steve

PS I hate rebates, but for $800.00 that one would not sit on my desk until it expired ;)
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best price yet! $800.00 rebate

Hi Steve

That is amazingly cheap! Yeah I paid AUS$4060 for my two and the dealer here now has them a LOT cheaper ...guess they are trying to dump the older model and sell the new one. I wonder if they have got a different sensor? the specs are identical.

Pity they don't have the body only ... I really don't need the 18-200 ..If I need a big zoom I just use my Nikon lenses.

Anyone going to join the EA-50 club with this offer? Even if you need a B-Camera this is a cheap way to have matching units and if you are on manual lenses like me you could sell the stock zoom and get an EA-50 for almost the same price as a domestic camcorder!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Prizes have gone down by almost 800 euro here as well.

Edit: this is compared to what I payed for it which was cheaper then the introductory price, compared to the introductory price it's almost 1000 euro cheaper now.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Chris,

Which dealer do you use and what is their price? I've not seen it in Aus for under about $3700. I've been interested in the EA50 for a while but have been making do with 5DmkIII's for now, though if the EA50 popped up at a much lower price (as it has in the USA) then I might pick one up.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi John

I normally go through VideoPro in Brisbane .. As you know the USA have much lower deals on cameras. The original release price here (including GST) was $4770 from them and I think I paid $4060 for each camera which included free courier shipping back in February 2013. They currently have them now listed at $3033.00 which isn't too bad for Australia and actually less than B&H at US$3200 which comes out at $3600 is our money PLUS you would get zapped 10% GST on import which brings it up to $4026

Assuming we could get the $800 rebate importing from B&H at US$2400.00 actually equates to AUS$3016.00 once you have paid the GST and then it would cost you an arm and a leg to ship it from the USA too. I honestly don't think one would save very much importing it from B&H FedEx wants US$234.00 to ship it so you are back to the local price of AUS$3330

It makes a good deal if you buy at the VideoPro price and then sell the stock lens on eBay and zap on an adapter and use Nikon or Canon lenses (I sold both my stock lenses!) and got $800 each for them.

With a decent lens it's a magic camera!! I use Tamron F2.8 constant either 17-50 or 28-75 for ceremonies and then a Sigma F1.8 18-35 at receptions ... Way sharper than the stock lens and almost no need for lights at all ..I even shoot the first dance nowdays without any need for lighting!

Chris
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Guys,

Chris, I am well versed on how you feel about the stock lens and how you use e-bay to your advantage. I fail in that area because I hang on to everything until it has NO resale value and eventually ends up in my AV Bone Yard. But anyway, I am very well equipped with good Canon glass I use a lot. But I still think the stock lens for that camera is a valuable asset. Other than being slow in light transmission it is designed to work in concert with that body. For a kit lens it is a good one. Hence the reward you got for it on resale. Selling it and going totally manual is not for everybody. I still use it even though my Canon glass is faster and technically better. I like having both options.

The rebate I posted from B&H is a Sony factory rebate. Retailers are often slow to update their sites. The rebate is on our Sony USA site. Have you guys looked at your version of that? It may be there for you?

Steve
Old October 18th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

It seems that Sony here have just supplied distributors with a lower priced product because if you do the math it's quite close in the end anyway.

Nope, I'm not getting another EA-50 ..two is plenty but it's still a bargain here and a really nice camera to use for most shoots. Of course I would have kept the stock zooms if I had use for them but doing mainly weddings it was way too slow and ended up in the case with caps on so I figured that selling it and getting some faster lenses made sense. Now if Sony made a 17- 75 zoom with a constant F2.8 that would be worth keeping. I don't film fast moving/changing objects and most of my work is at wide angles anyway ..I can honestly say that over the last 2 years I never exceeded more than 50% of the zoom. Of course as a compromise the 18-105 F4 would have been a LOT more useful to me ... Doing wedding speeches at 75mm zoom on the stock lens usually resulted at F5 or worse and in low light often I was bordering 24db.

Chris
Old October 19th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I actually have 2 versions of the kit lens - one is the one that came with the EA50 that I still do use for some outdoor parts of a wedding, and the other is the one that came with my NEX-VG20, essentially the same lens but without the servo zoom.

I'll be keeping my EA50 for next season at least and then might look into 4K - If I think that's where I need to go then it may well be the PXW-FS7K, by then the price should have come down somewhat. All my gear is Sony and I'd like to keep it that way, plus using my EF lenses is a must.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)