Difference in Tamron Full Frame & APS-C Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Difference in Tamron Full Frame & APS-C Lens

Other than the obvious between these two lenses for sensor size, what is the difference in perception? I have the Tamron 18-50mm f/2.8 which is the APS-C lens and I have the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Full Frame Lens. I have been trying them out but I'm trying to see if there is any difference besides the focal length. I want to know if one would give more clarity than the other or what ever the perception differences are. Just trying to learn my lenses better and how to decided between them in certain situations.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Difference in Tamron Full Frame & APS-C Lens

Hi Aaron

I have on my main camera, two lenses I use and one is going on eBay today as it really sucks! I have a 17-50 F2.8 Tamron and a 28-75 F2.8 Tamron and the first is APSC and the 2nd is FF ... The Full frame 28-75 just does NOT perform ...focus is much softer than the 17-50 and the image is just crappy! I'm not sure about the reason (not being an optics expert) but I assume that the FF lens "projects" the image as a larger "picture" to cover a FF sensor ...maybe something gets lost here but I do know that the FF performance is nowhere as good as the APSC lens.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris,

That is interesting... I have the Tamron FF 24-70mm f/2.8 and that is the one I use the most, probably because it was the most expensive and in the back of my mind I feel that it would give me more. I will try mixing it up a bit to see if I can tell the difference. I have to say though, I prefer the softness because I lean more to the cinematic side as oppose to the documentary style of shooting. My Tamron 18-50mm f/2.8 which is the APS-C lens did not get much use lately. I can recall in a couple of instances at receptions I should have switch for the wider angle.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

I shot 3 weddings this weekend and the first two I had the Tamron 28-75 for the ceremony and speeches and noticed that the B-Cam footage (Sigma 18-35 F1.8) was way sharper so I had to sharpen in post. On my Sunday wedding I took off the 28-75 and zapped on a Tamron 17-50 and used that for ceremony and speeches and WOW! what a difference!! I'm not sure if the 28-75 maybe has a back focus issue but it sure looks fuzzy compared to the 17-50 and matches the cutaway shots of the Sigma a lot better too.

If the 24-70 works better for you then by all means use it but there seems to be a huge difference between my 28-75 (FF) and my 17-50 (APSC) for some unknown reason?

Chris
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Chris,

So were you using peaking with the 28-75? I'm just curious because I know peaking is no always exact.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Is this the lens you are were referring to? http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-28-75mm...4-70mm+f%2F2.8
Old November 16th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

Nope I'm sure that is an APSC lens ..the FF lens has aperture rings... Yes I use peaking all the time but even in bright sun the 28-75 with a small aperture (lots of DOF) the lens seems soft compared to the 17-50!!

It might just be me but I also find that the colour using the FF lens is a bit washed too compared to the 17-50 ... Maybe it's just my particular lens ????

If you are happy with yours then great!! If I need big zooms I have a Nikon 18-200 but it's only F3.5 but still better than the old Sony stock lens.

For your fashion shoot I would let the models walk past me in the centre of the runway so you halve the runway distance ..it's less DOF that trying to keep in focus the complete length of the runway. If you calculate a triangle so you are almost positioned in the middle and roughly half the distance away from the actual runway your subject to camera distance is almost constant!! Easy to focus!!

Chris
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Good Advice Chris, Thank you!
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

sounds like you're both talking about different lenses - one is the newer 24-70,the other the older 28-75. Would be interested in other folks experience with the latest 24-70 with vc
Ade Towell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post
Other than the obvious between these two lenses for sensor size, what is the difference in perception?
If you are talking about using the same focal length on the two different sensors, the difference is the angle of view. This makes the image from the smaller sensor look similar to an image made with the larger sensor using a longer focal length lens. This is where a given sensor size's crop factor comes from.

If you use crop factor to use lenses with the two sensor sizes that give the same angle of view result with each sensor, then you get into the differences in focal length. The longer focal length lens will need to be stopped down a bit more to give equivalent depth of field, for example.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Apologies to the OP, but this is regarding the later confusion in the thread over different Tamron lenses. I currently use the latest Tamron SP 24-70 F/2.8 on my A7S and I prefer it over the Zeiss FE 24-70 F/4, which I also still own (for when I want to travel light). This is the A-Mount version without VC. I liked it so much I bought the newer 70-200 version of it as well (I owned the older 70-200 and though the image was decent for the price, the build was crap.) I previously owned Canon L lenses, but never used them with this particular camera, so I can't really compare. However, there is a line of Tamron glass that is quite good, is weather sealed and built like a tank.

Tamron SP F/2.8 24-70
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845351-REG/Tamron_SP_24_70mm_f_2_8_DI.html
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thumbs up for the Tamron SP 24-70 F/2.8 - I use it both on my EA50 and A7s - quality glass with a pin sharp image and great stabilisation - on par if not better than my Canon L-series lenses.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #13
New Boot

I have a Tamron SP 24-70 F/2.8 with IS and don't have any problems with it.

Looks a lot better than the kit.

I am curious now about comparing it to the sigma 18-35 f1.8.

On a side note I also have a canon apsc 17-55 f2/8 which I spent a lot of money for. It looks great but the zoom feels harder in certain ranges which sucks for video...

I am thinking of going for the Sigma 17-55 f2.8 and selling my canon lens. The 70-250 2.8 tamron lens I am also curious. looks good for shooting people far enough away without them noticing. (some people turn their heads when thy notice iam shooting them..)
Francisco Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #14
Major Player

The SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD is looking really sweet to me.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Sheesh! You guys like to shoot from a distance don't you. For me even 75mm is too much zoom. Your DOF becomes so critical at high zooms especially at F2.8 or even faster!

I stay between 18 and 35 during the reception and no more than 50mm at the ceremony!!

At 18mm and 10' away I have a good 14' DOF to play with but move away to 30' and zoom to 150mm and it gets to a scary just over 12" !!!

Each to their own of course... at a ceremony I would rather move myself and shoot wide than zoom to the back/front of the ceremony
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)