DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/526254-smartphone-tablet-monitor-ea50.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. December 30th, 2014 06:15 PM

Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50

I'm currently on a mission to find out how to make my smartphone or tablet turn into my monitor. I have already done it with my DSLR thanks to this video:

But i know there has to be a way to convert a HDMI or the Composit out signal into a video signal to work similar to what this developer has done with the DSLR Controller. If you guys know of anything please chime in. I can use all the help i can get.

Chris Harding December 30th, 2014 07:21 PM

Re: Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50

Hi Aaron

Do you want to use your tablet purely as a monitor or do you want to attempt to control the camera much the same as they are doing there with DSLR's .... If just a monitor does a tablet have a better resolution than an HD HDMI monitor the same size?

That's an interesting video, for sure!! but I haven't seen any tablet that has an HDMI input (most have outputs) What about a netbook device? they might have an AV input ??

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. December 30th, 2014 07:41 PM

Hi Chris,

Initially I just wanted to try and use the tablet as a monitor with no controls. Many of us already have tablets and smartphones. I'm trying to find a way to use the out ports on the EA to convert to the Micro USB and then I would need an app to host the video so that it can be shown on the screen. I see it is already possible to get the video signal into the tablet so now it is a matter of trying to get it to work with our EA that should open up a few possibilities. For me this would be way better than a regular monitor as it would be multi-functional. If this is possible with a tablet it would be possible with a smartphone. Here is a way it is done with a portable router making it wireless, but still using the DSRL Controller app. (I'm already looking at grabbing a Sony Xperia Z Ultra Smartphone to double as my video monitor and my phone. I have already tested this out with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it works like a charm with my Canon 7D. Now on to the EA...)

Ray Lee January 11th, 2015 02:55 PM

I would live to see a tablet work as a monitor. My iPad is much sharper and has better color than my low end Marshal and my Lilliput and better color than my $1000 EFV with the added bonus I always have it with me anyway. and the batteries last for days

Chris Harding January 11th, 2015 07:29 PM

Hi Guys

This is the little machine you need. Teradek Clip Miniature Wireless H.264 HD Video Encoder & Transmitter for Copters, Drones, & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles | Teradek, LLC - Wireless HD Video

You can also have a remote monitor or even wander around a venue with your second camera and monitor what your first camera is shooting. Seems a waste though for an on camera monitor and at $599 it's fairly pricey for just a monitor but it would mean that you could have a nice big tablet on something like a lighting stand next to the camera with video streaming directly to it!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. January 13th, 2015 09:48 PM