Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 30th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50

I'm currently on a mission to find out how to make my smartphone or tablet turn into my monitor. I have already done it with my DSLR thanks to this video:

But i know there has to be a way to convert a HDMI or the Composit out signal into a video signal to work similar to what this developer has done with the DSLR Controller. If you guys know of anything please chime in. I can use all the help i can get.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Smartphone or Tablet as Monitor With EA50

Hi Aaron

Do you want to use your tablet purely as a monitor or do you want to attempt to control the camera much the same as they are doing there with DSLR's .... If just a monitor does a tablet have a better resolution than an HD HDMI monitor the same size?

That's an interesting video, for sure!! but I haven't seen any tablet that has an HDMI input (most have outputs) What about a netbook device? they might have an AV input ??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Initially I just wanted to try and use the tablet as a monitor with no controls. Many of us already have tablets and smartphones. I'm trying to find a way to use the out ports on the EA to convert to the Micro USB and then I would need an app to host the video so that it can be shown on the screen. I see it is already possible to get the video signal into the tablet so now it is a matter of trying to get it to work with our EA that should open up a few possibilities. For me this would be way better than a regular monitor as it would be multi-functional. If this is possible with a tablet it would be possible with a smartphone. Here is a way it is done with a portable router making it wireless, but still using the DSRL Controller app. (I'm already looking at grabbing a Sony Xperia Z Ultra Smartphone to double as my video monitor and my phone. I have already tested this out with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and it works like a charm with my Canon 7D. Now on to the EA...)

Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would live to see a tablet work as a monitor. My iPad is much sharper and has better color than my low end Marshal and my Lilliput and better color than my $1000 EFV with the added bonus I always have it with me anyway. and the batteries last for days
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

This is the little machine you need. Teradek Clip Miniature Wireless H.264 HD Video Encoder & Transmitter for Copters, Drones, & Unmanned Aerial Vehicles | Teradek, LLC - Wireless HD Video

You can also have a remote monitor or even wander around a venue with your second camera and monitor what your first camera is shooting. Seems a waste though for an on camera monitor and at $599 it's fairly pricey for just a monitor but it would mean that you could have a nice big tablet on something like a lighting stand next to the camera with video streaming directly to it!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)