EA50 on Gimbal. Another way to fly. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EA50 on Gimbal. Another way to fly.

The link below shows an FS100, however flying a EA50 would be similar.

Offers more stabilization, and would like to see what footage from a EA50 would look like.

Best,

Scott
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: EA50 on Gimbal. Another way to fly.

Not to burst your bubble, these gimbals are very cool, but I don't think you would ever get a EA50 to balance on a gimbal of that size - it's simply too long of a camera. I could be wrong, but you would definitely want to check out the maximum supported dimensions before making an investment.
Old January 24th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If one pushed the pad back in it isn't that much longer than an FS100 so it might work! However once you start putting a 3lb camera onto a big hand held gimbal surely you are kicking yourself in the butt?

Fairly enough, the gimbal will keep the camera dead level (I personally so far have been VERY unimpressed with the smaller gimbals and sold mine after using them just at 3 weddings) OK, so you reckon you are going to be happy walking around with this huge rig and no means of support for your arms?? The gimbal might even keep correcting your arms sagging but sooner or later your arms will be so sore, you will have to put it down. The gimbal will keep the camera level but who will support you, the operator??

Give me my stedicam and vest every time!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Major Player

If it were me and this was affordable I would it for different shots not in place of my A cam and tripod. There are some shot that this would be awesome for and be able to show some different angles and perspectives.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...&v=u41KwXw4Jhw

I've put this out there for the community. By no means can I invest in this, I'm only putting it out there and perphaps somebody will find interest in it for a solution they need for a client, etc.

Just another way to get great footage that's all. Will it work, yes I feel it would. What do you think?

Best,

Scott
Old January 25th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That's really neat Scott ..thanks for the update. My problem with using heavy duty gimbals is of course, having to hold the whole rig up as your arms will get tired pretty fast. The stedicam vest and arm obviously solves this problem perfectly BUT it seems to be a very expensive way to get smooth footage.

My stedicam vest is made by CAME actually and using a carbon fibre sled, well balanced, I can get almost perfect shots so for me having a gimbal on my stedicam arm would be an overkill!!

My mix 'n match stedicam cost me around $600 in total using a CAME vest, wieldy arm and CF sled but add a CAME 8000 gimbal and you add another $2000 to the price ..ouch!!!

It's however good to see that CAME have made a gimbal for bigger cameras and not just Gopros!!

Chris
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

CAME-MINI 3 Axis Camera Gimbal for GH4, A7s so on +Case+Stand [MINI+DC8+CD6+9ST+B19] - US$880.00

The mini-gimbal by CAME-TV might be a viable option.

This might be a better solution. B-cam Sony A7ii or A7s on a miniature gimbal, once again, to stay in the spirit of the forum in achieving solutions thru sharing ideas this would give superior b-roll with a compact footprint of field package. Smaller is good. More tech-means more can go wrong on the downside. The upside is it's compact and very very stable without shake and/or sway.

Evolving the thread a bit, perhaps this requires it's own thread title = B-roll options for EA50 and cameras that compliment/match EA50.

Having glide shots is now an essential, this just takes it up a notch. The gimbal is super stable, were a job to pay for the gear I feel I'd invest.

Again-What you do you think?

Best,

Scott
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

To be perfectly honest Scott I don't like the lower priced ones at all. I can see the justification having an electronic gimbal if you have a high end one where you can program the firmware and adjust things like response time. The cheaper ones tend to have just preset firmware and you cannot dampen out small movements so doing a shoot over say, uneven ground, all the lumps and bumps on somewhere like a beach cause the preset units to shudder as they try and compensate for all the tiny movements. You need one that you can set a dampening factor so it ignores tiny movements ... problem is that the sensors are too accurate I think so they send signals to the motors all the time when they shouldn't!

The other issue is weight! The small ones are light as a feather (I had a GoPro model) but the decent high end gimbal also weight quite a lot and you have to have reasonable arm muscles to hold it up for any length of time. My wieldy/CAME stedicam has silky smooth footage as it dampens mechanically even on the bumpiest terrain and with a vest and dual arm I can fly without any arm fatigue.

I'll still stick with my stedicam ..cost me nearly half what the came mini costs and results are 100% and repeatable which for me is much more important for weddings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wieldy-1-7kg...item1c3d54f29a

Just my 2 cents of course..it seems you are already set on getting one so let us know what you think? I have seen too many guys cry bitterly about them giving issues after use with failing electronics and not enough build quality.

Chris
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nocella View Post
The link below shows an FS100, however flying a EA50 would be similar.
Not sure if a ea50 would be suitable for this type of gimbal as it's quite long, if it would be possible the wheight of the gimbal together with the ea50 and lens would also be too heavy for longer handheld use and would require some kind of vest to take the weight out of your hands, you are better of just getting a small dslr, like a a7s for these types of gimbals.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Even with the CAME gimbal, an A7S and something like a 16-70 F4 lens you are coming up to a carrying weight of close to 5lbs!! OK, it doesn't sound like a lot but take a 2.5lb dumbbell in each hand and try running around the yard with your arms outstretched and see how long you can keep it up before they start turning to jelly!

You might be shooting movies that only require short 1 minute sequences but I know from experience that a handheld camera with two handles on a simple rig can be a killer after shooting for 10 minutes no stop! That's why these guys will hook the gimbal onto a stedicam vest and spring arm!

They rate the gimbal alone at 1.1kg which is 2.5lbs without a camera and lens already so just bear in mind that it will get a lot heavier than you realise after holding it up for a while!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)