DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   AX2000 Selling For More Than EA50 USED!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/527187-ax2000-selling-more-than-ea50-used.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. March 7th, 2015 11:36 AM

AX2000 Selling For More Than EA50 USED!!

I thought that this was really interesting to see B&H selling both Cameras Used:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801111460-USE/sony_nex_ea50uh_camcorder_with_18_200mm.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801150340-USE/sony_hdrax2000_h_hdr_ax2000_avchd_camcorder.html
I own them both but did not see this coming at all... It may be time to get rid of my AX2000 and grab another EA or FS100 in it's place... This gives me something to think about.

Wow! They valuing it as more brand new as well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671535-REG/Sony_HDRAX2000_H_HDR_AX2000_AVCHD_Camcorder.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076767-REG/sony_nex_ea50m_nxcam_camcorder.html

Don Bloom March 7th, 2015 03:52 PM

Re: AX2000 Selling For More Than EA50 USED!!

Ask someone who owns a 10 year old car how much they think it's worth. Not a classic or antique but just a regular old car. In most cases the answers will knock you over. People become emotionally attached to their property and over value it's worth.
Hell, I've got a JVC HM700 with the Fuji 17X lens 4 batteries, a dual battery charger and a Pelican Storm 2650 case. To me it's worth $10,000 but in reality I'll be lucky to see half maybe even a bit less. Human nature.
I had a JVC X2 with a 14 lens and IIRC back in the day when I bought it new I think I paid something on the order of $6000 for it. When I finally sold it, I got $200.00 and lost a great doorstop.
Hell, keep the EA50 and off the AX2000 then get whatever you want.

0|0
\--/

Aaron Jones Sr. March 7th, 2015 06:00 PM

Hi Don,

Yes now that I'm seeing this that is the plan. I wanted to have 3 cams, at lest that was my goal. I was going to chuck the EA for Canon C100. Mainly because I knew I could get a descent amount to go toward the C100 as it was $3500 at the time when I saw it. But after conversating with the fellas around here I decided to unload the Canon D7 and put some money toward it and grab a FS100. Now I'm looking at chucking the AX2000 first and grab a FS100. Then check it out and If I like it I will grab a second FS100 for the third cam that I was going to get. At that point I would have the 2 FS100 and a EA50... Not a bad plan. The down side to all this is lenses. I think this is going in the right direction though.

Don Bloom March 7th, 2015 09:37 PM

Sounds like a plan. Remember you can always rent the glass if need be. At least you used to be able too.
Good luck to ya!

Chris Harding March 7th, 2015 09:58 PM

Hi Aaron

Yep the Ax2000 at B&H is $100 more than the new EA-50M and for a few hundred dollars more you have an FS100 body!!

I guess that "handycams" are more popular than bigger cameras as they are compact and an all-in-one camera. If you think about it on a huge production line the cost of manufacturing each is pretty close and labour would be roughly the same ...if more AX2000's are sold new than EA-50 they will command a higher resale value. Since this is happening it makes sense to unload the AX and get more money back!

I would have thought too that the AX2000 would be easier and more popular on the used market compared to the EA-50

With FS100's and EA50's you have a very similar camera profile (I have used FS100 profiles on my EA50's and if you do have E-Mount lenses they will all be compatible too!

Don has a good plan there ..get the FS100 bodies only ($2999 at B&H) as you already have lenses for the EA-50 and if your partner has a good bunch of Canon lenses, why not take advantage of them??

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. March 7th, 2015 10:50 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes as you read this I'm dusting and wiping down my AX2000 to put up for sale. I already sold the Sigma lens and waiting with the sale of this AX2000 I will have plenty to grab a used FS100 with stock lens. I will keep you guys updated on how this all fairs.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys that does pretty well with the used items. I look to see if I can get a little more bang for my buck. Getting the stock with the FS100 will be key and give more variety with the lenses. I'm also itching to grab the new Tamron 70-200m f/2.8. I see a good use for that lens. I wish I had it for the last corporate event I recorded as I could not get close enough in a low lit room to the podium because of the arrangement. In wedding when I set it up I can have more distance and still get a good shot from a still b-cam. Just a thought...

Chris Harding March 7th, 2015 11:59 PM

Sounds good Aaron

I'm surprised you sold the Sigma ...my 18-35 F1.8 is my goto lens at receptions ...with the stock 18-200 at receptions even with the FS100 you might struggle with lighting! I used to really have to use a fill light when I used the stock lens (yes, I know the FS100 will give you a stop more) but I find the F1.8 Sigma awesome for receptions.

The Tamron is one of my Favourites too ..in fact the photog that I worked with last night said she preferred her Tamron to the Canon lenses on her 5D!!

We eagerly await your thoughts when you get your FS100!!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. March 8th, 2015 12:44 AM

Hi Chris,

Yeah I took some footage with my Sigma then with my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 and the comparison was stupid. Although I will say I have the Canon version not sure if their is much difference but it was a big difference. I did however see a better picture in low light with the sigma, It actually performed well in low light giving me way more light in my footage than was actually there. For me that was not worth hold on to it. As I prefer the Tamron and have to switch just for the lower light environment. To me that is a bit of a hassle. I believe I can use that $700 toward something else at this time.

But for low light the sigma 18-35mm is boss.

Aaron Jones Sr. March 25th, 2015 05:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Well sense our last correspondence I have acquired the Metabones Mark IV and waiting on my FS100 to arrive. I will let you know how I like it when i get it.

Aaron Jones Sr. March 31st, 2015 07:05 PM

So the FS100 is here. I got about 15 minutes of playing time with it before going to work today. I will be going home to play some more. So what exactly are you interested in as far as the difference between the EA50 and the FS100?

After playing a bit today I notice that the FS100 is very light. Of course I had a Sony 20mm lens on it. Looking at the EVF I see the difference in the low light. Again this is unofficial as I will do a better comparison when I get home tonight. I plan to set the cam up on a tripod with the same lens adapter and the same lens and shoot a bit and compare. I also will go hand held with the same adapter and lens and compare.

I look forward to using the FS100 on a serious shoot soon. In the mean time I will conduct a little comparison.

Chris Harding April 1st, 2015 12:21 AM

Sounds good Aaron

I had a play indoors with my friends FS100 and it was actually worse in low light cos he only had an 18-200 F3,5 lens on the camera whilst I had the Sigma 17-35 F1.8 on my EA-50 so the faster lens actually made it better! So that wasn'r a fair test at all!

It's seemed nice to handhold with a small lens up front but I think a longer lens might make it very front heavy and with no shoulder pad I felt I would struggle.

The FS100 also has an issue (like the EA-50) with the viewing tube and it does need to be shortened (both mine already are done and it makes a BIG difference) I also saw a post about a little "cam" shaped thingy you can buy for the FS100 to stop twisting issues on the LCD (I have an idea it was on the DVX forum?)

The better sensor should make you happy so let us know what you think??? Also any comments about what you like and don't like between the two cameras would be useful for others!!

Chris

Bruce Macbryde April 1st, 2015 07:40 PM

I am intrigued in your buy an sell, Aaron, If it is not too much to ask are you able to advise the price you got for your AX2000 and the cost of the FS100 you just received? Did you just get body or with stock lens?

Guess you are using eBay.

I'm also very keen to see your review comments between EA 50 and FS100

Chris Harding April 1st, 2015 09:43 PM

Hi Bruce

You would have to get an FS100 from overseas .. Sony here have discontinued them which is strange??

NEX-FS100P (NEXFS100P) : Product Overview : Australia : Sony Professional

Chris

Bruce Macbryde April 1st, 2015 10:06 PM

Thanks Chris,

I was thinking more about second hand pricing - eBay etc. Wonder what the going rates are?

Currently an FS100 on NZ TradeMe for NZ$3,500 with kit lens. Also on eBay, FS100 Body only, for A$3,000 Buy now, (current bid is $2,000) in Queensland.

I am just wondering what is a "good" price to expect to offer.

Chris Harding April 1st, 2015 10:31 PM

Global Media pro in New Zealand offer an FS100 with a stock lens new for $4210.00 .... $3K for a used body only in Oz is a bit heavy I think!!

B&H in NewYork has the new FS100 body only for $2499 ... it certainly wouldn't cost you $500 for shipping and you get a brand new camera!!