Flash for EA50 advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Flash for EA50 advice?

I'm thinking of using my EA50 more for photography. So far I am liking it. I need a decent flash though. Any suggestions? How many of you guys are using it as a stills camera? How does it compare to other traditional DSLRs for stills?

What do you think about the Sony F20S? I like the fact that it is powered from the camera. Too small?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/791302-REG/Sony_HVL_F20S_HVL_F20S_External_Flash_for.html
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Flash for EA50 advice?

Hi David,

The stills it puts out are good for a video camera but not as good as a DSLR. At the same event I shot some stills with the EA50 and some of them with an EOS 1D MKII. When viewed next to each other there was a startling difference in quality. Even with the same Canon lens on it. I do not see it as a DSLR replacement.

Steve
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, Steven.
I guess I was just wishful thinking since the EA-50 heart is really a still sensor.
Since the EOS 1D MKII is kind of the big daddy Canon DSLR, could perhaps the EA50 compare more favorably to a lesser DSLR such as 7D or 60D or T3i caliber camera? Or still not a realistic hope?
Old March 24th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

No. My EOS 1D MKII was the flagship DSLR at one time and still is a great stills camera. But, it is old by today's standard. I think it was the last big model before they started putting video in DSLRs. A 7D will out shoot the EA50 hands down in the still department. But if you are a post production guy you can work the images from the EA50 over in Photoshop and they might become acceptable for you? The difference became glaring after I compared them next to each other.

Steve
Old March 24th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you very much for helping me with that, Steven
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I also find the EA-50 form factor perfect for video but awkward for shooting stills ..shucks I can't seem to "feel" for the photo button even. DSLR bodies (especially used) are as cheap as chips and if you are using manual lenses on your EA-50 then you can share lenses too.

Despite the fact that it takes 16 mp stills my old Nikon D90's blow it out of the water too and they are only 12.7mp.

If you do take photos on your camera an important thing to remember is that video profiles are not ideal and you really need to switch to the still photo profile first (I think it's PP2)
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Good comments, Chris. Thank you. I had forgotten about the better photo profile setting.

I fumble around sometimes finding the photo button on the EA-50 also but I was hoping to be able to use it more. I normally would carry around an older DSLR and a camcorder but on the events where I had the EA50 it was nice to just deal with one camera.

I have used the EA50 on many video jobs and I started also using it to take photos while on those video jobs mainly for case artwork, etc. I've been pleased with the pics but have yet to really do any serious photography with it or test it hard. I was hoping it would prove to be a good photo camera, but sounds like that is not going to be the case. Looks like I still need a DSLR for more serious photography. Shucks! Haha
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Trustee

David,

You might look into a used VG30. Not new because they are a handycam for the same price as an EA50, thats crazy. A VG30 has the same sensor and similar processor as an EA50. It makes a great back up or B cam for the EA50 because it produces a matched image and takes the same lenses plus it is small and light. You might get a second video cam and the still cam your looking for. The stills wont be great but might be good enough. It has the same intelligent hot shoe too. It is the guts of an EA50 in a handycam body.

For some reason the VG 30 shoots stills in .jpg or .raw. The EA50 is .jpg only. I have never shot a still with mine in raw but any raw image processes better than a .jpg. I shoot stills with my EOS 1D. Maybe I will shoot a couple and see what I get.

Chris, Thanks for the reminder about the still profile. I forgot about it because I rarely shoot a still with it.

Steve
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Yeah even if I'm doing a video only wedding I still take a Nikon with me to do bridal cover shots....It's just as easy to grab the still camera out the bag than change my EA-50 profile setting take photos and then remember to change it back again!! I wonder what the photo profile would look like on video? So far I stay with a slightly modified PP3 as using no profile outdoors or indoors seems to crush the blacks so much I lose detail.

For stills you could probably pick up a used Nikon or Canon, lens and flash so the same price as a dedicated flash for the EA-50 would cost from Sony .... and then you also have a stills camera to shoot the kids in the pool too!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #10
Trustee

I have a Canon EOS 1D. No need for a used camera ;) ;) ;)

Steve
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Major Player

You guys are great! Thank you.

I forget, can a Picture Profile be added to one of the user buttons on the EA-50?
You are right, going into the menu on the EA50 to change profiles and also switch to photo mode is more work than just grabbing a DSLR that can be already hanging on your neck.
That's the way I used to work events before I started using my EA50. I'd shoot with a camcorder and have a DSLR on my neck ready to snap photos. When I started using my EA50 I was liking the idea of only using one camera, but I see now I had unrealistic hopes of it being a main video camera and main photo camera.

The VG30 is another good idea. Maybe an A7s if the price drops. My DSLR is an old Canon Rebel XT 8.1MP that does stills only so I'm trying to decide how to accomplish having two matcheable video cameras and a good still camera.
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey David,

There is a dedicated profile button on the lower left side of the camera near the menu button. You can change it there without going into the menu.

There is also a status button there. One of my personal favorites. Once I am set up I scroll through all status screens to "stupid check" myself and be sure everything is set where I want it. Again, another quick tool to avoid the menus.

Steve
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Awesome! Thank you. I will look into that and start using it! That will help
David Banner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)