Considering a 2nd EA50. Seeking advice. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Considering a 2nd EA50. Seeking advice.

Hey David,

Don't take my word for this but I think if you look you will find out that the EA50 has an intelligent hot shoe that WILL work with the same flash you decide on for the A7s. It sounds like a good set up to me but I have NO real basis for saying that.

I am a believer in investing a lot of money in good glass. You just can't take short cuts there in my opinion. So.....as cameras change so fast they almost become disposable after a couple of years but my investment in lenses is important to me. The EA50 allowed me to keep using Canon lenses I spent one to two thousand dollars on ten to twenty years ago! Those lenses are as good today as they were then, they are Canons best. Quality glass does not go out of style but cameras are changing at the speed of light. So keep your investment in glass in the equation as you mentioned.

Steve
Old July 5th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Get a battery grip for the A7s - it eats batteries - the battery grip allows you to run the camera off a pair of batteries - at yesterday's wedding I used the A7s pretty much throughout the day and by the evening reception I was into my 4th pair!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Thank you, Steven. I am a believer in good glass, too :)

Thank you, Peter. Wow! 4 pairs of batteries?!
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I tend to leave the camera on pretty much all day when shooting weddings - you never know what's going to happen next so you need to be ready!
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Wow Pete that is heavy usage!! I assume those are genuine batteries too?? Over here the Sony ones are close to $100 each so that's quite an investment in batteries and I guess two chargers would be in order too. We have the generic batteries here at less than 1/4 of the Sony price but they don't seem to last that long compared to the genuine ones.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I now have 10 batteries (8 of them genuine) and 2 chargers (one genuine and one Ex-Pro double charger). Last Saturday was my first outing without my EA50 and the camera was on for 2 hours solid in the morning and then after getting to the venue, was on pretty much all day until 9pm - I'd used up 6 batteries and was into my last pair. I didn't use them up completely but changed them as they were nearing the end at a convenient time. When you see the size of the batteries you can understand - they are pretty small. Over here they are £25 from Amazon.

Charging takes an age however so i'm a little anxious about the next two weekends as i have back-to-back weddings. I'm going to have to put some on charge throughout the day so they are charged for the next day - something I'm not used to as my NP-F970 use to last pretty much all day - and I had 3 of them!

Pete
Old July 7th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hmmm I see your point they are pretty small physically aren't they ... I normally used to always sneak into the reception and zap a battery on charge before anything happened and then I knew I had fresh batteries before speeches kicked in ...I stopped doing it with the EA-50's as even the smaller batteries that came with the camera lasted me all night. I wonder if one could make a battery box for the A7S instead of the grip and toss in a big 970?? They go on forever!

I haven't done any weddings with the Panasonic's yet as it's Winter but I did a realty shoot yesterday that ran to around 43 minutes of footage and the battery still showed full ...when I got home I tossed it into the charger and it was fully charged in 15 minutes so I'm hoping it will be as lenient with me at weddings! I wonder why the A&'s eat batteries?? I had two Konica Minolta still cameras at one stage and just doing stills for an hour the 6 x AA rechargeables were dead ... I had to carry a pile of batteries with me!!
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

That´s just another point for me for staying with a videocamera and not with a photocamera as main machine. I film a lot of live events so i can rarely swap batteries during a long time.
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #24
Major Player

Thinking of buying a second hand A7s as B-cam. But how does these 2 cut together?
I thought the A7s is much sharper then my ea50.

Is there a video when these 2 are mixed?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Peter Rush has/had both cameras but I'm not too sure if he had a period where his weddings were shot on both cameras and mixed between the two? Why don't you send him a PM and ask him??
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #26
Trustee

Tom,

If it is just a "B" camera you can get a VG30 body for cheap on e-bay. That will be your perfect match. It has the same sensor as your EA50 and the same lens mount. It is a far cry from being an A7s but I love mine. I fly it because of the weight difference. It is my "C" cam and a perfect addition for my two EA50s.

Steve
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Tom

Peter Rush has/had both cameras but I'm not too sure if he had a period where his weddings were shot on both cameras and mixed between the two? Why don't you send him a PM and ask him??
Hey Chris, i didn't know that Peter Rush had both cameras. About private messages... I can't find out how I can do that. Will have to search this out.
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Tom,

If it is just a "B" camera you can get a VG30 body for cheap on e-bay. That will be your perfect match. It has the same sensor as your EA50 and the same lens mount. It is a far cry from being an A7s but I love mine. I fly it because of the weight difference. It is my "C" cam and a perfect addition for my two EA50s.

Steve
Hey Steven, I know a VG20/30 will be a good match but I want something better than my EA50.Especially better low light. A second hand FS100 is about the same price as a second hand A7s here.

A FS700 is easier to find second hand but too expensive for a B-cam.

I like the "handhold" of the ea50. FS100/700 I need a rig. The fS700 has nd filters and powerzoom but is heavy to handhold I have read.

But at this moment I only have the powerzoomlens on the ea50 and a fast F1.8 zeiss sonnar 24mm (was not a cheap lens), both are APS-C.

My question is: if you put the stocklens on the ea50 and A7s. How does this compare? Is the noise much less on the A7s?

I know the APS-C mode on the A7s in less sensitve against his fullframe mode but reduces the rolling shutter.

If you have/make a video how this compares would be great.

I think sony will never make A7s in a bigger camcorder body during his strategy selling. That's my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. But love the "filmic" videos the A7s outputs. My camcorder can't do that.
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Scroll up this post and you will find a thread by Peter Rush ... click on his name on the left hand left of the page and you will see the options for messaging and email etc etc
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #30
Regular Crew

What about the Sony NX-100?
1" sensor, 12x optical zoom, 3 ND filters...
Fixed optics but... no dust in the sensor (not bad at all).
¿Same batteries as EA50? I think yes.
Seems pretty good in low light.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)