I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:55 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M

Hi Pete

Do you not use the EV function at all?? It's adjustable on the thumbwheel even while you are recording!! I find it really useful when I let the camera auto expose (but with a manual lens) at things like wedding speeches where the background is often dark or even black so the camera tends to overexpose to try and compensate for the dark surroundings over exposing the speaker's face!! Just a quick adjustment of the EV so zebras disappear work a treat for me!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:37 PM   #77
Major Player

This has been a great thread! Possibly the best information regarding the EA50U and EA50M available!

So the M is about 2/3 a stop better in low light and also sharper....
So if the U with the kit lens at f/3.5 was shooting side by side with the M with the new kit lens at f/4 does the M still do better in low light even with the slight lens disadvantage (only) at full wide?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Pete

Do you not use the EV function at all?? It's adjustable on the thumbwheel even while you are recording!! I find it really useful when I let the camera auto expose (but with a manual lens) at things like wedding speeches where the background is often dark or even black so the camera tends to overexpose to try and compensate for the dark surroundings over exposing the speaker's face!! Just a quick adjustment of the EV so zebras disappear work a treat for me!!

Chris
I use it all the time chris but recently I've had a few tricky lighting situations where I needed to lock the gain and had to hurriedly do into the menu as the presets weren't quite right for the situation, I was just comparing to my A7s where I very quickly spin the ISO wheel to the correct setting - a dream compared.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #79
Trustee

Steve got my Metabones adapter today, under 4 weeks pretty good delivery time.

I received the Mark IV however.
AS expected the Tamron lens that I have worked for the most part but AF doesn't function with the camera. Auto iris and IS work just fine though. the same BTW goes for my weeks Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 lens as IS and iris work but no AF. Not that this is any deal breaker.

Love the Rokinon 85mm 1.4 though. I can see this being a short zoom in some situations using the cameras optical Zoom.

Oh BTW just for the record I was talking to Sony about why Adaptive Stabilization isn't selectable on the Sony 18-105 f4, 50mm 1.8, or 35mm 1.8 OSS lenses and was told that
"Active Steady shot uses 2% of the imager (zooms in) and corrects for motion based on the feedback from the lens sensors and what motions it sees from the sensor and adjusts by pixel shifting the image (electronic image stabilization). Active Steady Shot works with the SELP18200 lens."

So the SELP18200 has the onboard OSS to run Active Stabilization but most of the other less do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Michael,

Here are the steps to change the default setting on your adapter from green mode to advanced mode. Green mode has nothing to do with our camera. It is a battery saving mode for Sony Alpha cameras. If you do not do this you will have to hold in an awkward button every time you change lenses or start up:

1. Turn the camera on without any lens or adapter attached.
2. With a lens attached to the adapter attach the adapter/lens-assembly to the EA50 E-mount while holding the wide open button on the adapter.
3. Keep pressing the wide open button and let the camera boot properly.
4. While you still are pressing the wide open button turn the camera off.

Fixed, advanced mode is now the default.

Steve
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #80
Trustee

David,

I want to be careful here because I try to provide accurate information and I am still working my way around this thing. A lot of work I do is not with the kit I own, it is with high end cameras so I have not done as much shooting as I would like. But yes, you can forget about the SLP 18200 going down to F3.5 compared to the F4 of the 18-105 G. I suspect but am not sure yet that the 18-105 G will pare better with my ultra sharp Canon "L" lenses than the Sony SLP18-200 because of its sharpness. I will take 95MM less and have a constant aperture zoom "G" lens any day. The new sensor combined with the new lens produces a clearly better image. But of course you loose a perfect match.

Michael,

Glad to hear you got the Metabones and a Mark IV at that! Mine is the MIII.

A word of caution. I think I saw a post of yours saying your Sony A mount adapter seemed to get confused on auto settings, the Metabones will too (at least my MII and MIII do. I read an explanation by Metabones that says both adapters, Sony and theirs will flash wide open before making every auto adjustment. The even bigger problem is that mine ocasionaly get confused and can't settle on a given F-stop. The result is a constantly flickering image. It is a shot KILLER. The answer is to never shoot with the aperture in auto. At least that's the way mine work. Test your gear. You might think your OK and a shift in light or contrast can bring on the flicker!

Steve
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #81
Trustee

Steve thanks for the feedback.

I shot a wedding last Saturday where the ceremony was in a church but reception in a barn with bonfire starting at dusk. All in all the camera performed well. My biggest problem was proper focus sometimes as I had to use the adopter most of the time because I wasn't able to focus well enough with my bread I Nguyen glasses and the lcd screen. As the screen is too close while shoulder mounted and I had to move my neck backwards to see clearly. Not c o comfortable in the least. Going to get eye exam on Wednesday so going to ask for prescription that will let me focus closer when shooting.

The flicker comment was in regards to running EV while running auto gain. The EV worked great most of the time, however when I was filming during dusk with me Sigma 18-35 f1.8 (alpha mount) and Sony LE-EA4 adapter the gain was bouncing back and forth from 18-21db. So my image was flickering. I simply switched to a gain preset and all was good.

BTW I knew what I would get but tried some low light shots during the bonfire at 24db. Definitely too much noise, especially with a dark blue sky as it wasn't pitch black yet.
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

Are you using the viewing tube on the LCD to focus? If you do you need to do two important things ! Firstly the viewing tube is too long so the pad never sits on your shoulder but a bit in front. The centre bit of tube needs to be removed to make the tube the correct length ... secondly I can shoot and focus without any reading aids cos I have added a lens to the tube! Just grab a 52mm diameter closeup lens set and screw the +2 dioptre one on the top of the tube ..the thread is already there ..makes a huge difference!!

Chris
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #83
Trustee

Chris I just recieved a 52mm close-up lens yesterday and the 2+ will work great.
I have 2 problems...
I was able to use the tube and focus well enough, the close-up lens will help much more, but I don't want to use it all the time. And if I was to use it all of the time I experience some fogging of the tube lens.

So if I didn't want to use the tube all of the time then I would use the lcd. The issue I have with using the lcd screen though is that I am farsighted and have reading glasses. I still can't see clearly enough with them as the distance is still too close for me with the reading glasses and lcd. If I pull my head back a bit further I can see clearly. But can't shoot that way. This I s why I asked in another thread about if there was a magnifier on the k CD screen.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; May 5th, 2015 at 08:17 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Thanks Michael

So the CU lens causes the fogging??? I didn't know that !! I have had some fogging now and again especially in the evening and yes, I leave the 52mm lens in place as it gives me better dioptre range with the shortened loupe. I must admit I almost always use the tube as it helps for critical focus ... Did anyone try the credit card sized Fresnel lenses that fit over the LCD ?? I guess the only other option would be a flexible arm under the camera and an HD 7" LCD monitor that you can adjust to suit.

If I use an external can I get OSD on it as well?? I never tried a monitor and don't see any screen display options in the menus?? I would have thought the HDMI port sent out pure video only or can you add the on screen data too .. even stuff like zebras and peaking??

Chris
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #85
Trustee

Chris the CU didn't cause the fogging as I didn't have my CU yet for last weekend's shoot. The fogging happened a few times with just the tube. Going to eye doctors today for check up anyway so going to ask him about options. I tried the Fresnel lens but that didn't work as the image was slightly distorted.

In regards to an hour external lcd I have ones that have peaking and zebras. I don't think that the camera transmits any data via the hdmi, at least not that I see.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Michael,

Here are the steps to change the default setting on your adapter from green mode to advanced mode. Green mode has nothing to do with our camera. It is a battery saving mode for Sony Alpha cameras. If you do not do this you will have to hold in an awkward button every time you change lenses or start up:

1. Turn the camera on without any lens or adapter attached.
2. With a lens attached to the adapter attach the adapter/lens-assembly to the EA50 E-mount while holding the wide open button on the adapter.
3. Keep pressing the wide open button and let the camera boot properly.
4. While you still are pressing the wide open button turn the camera off.

Fixed, advanced mode is now the default.

Steve

why should this be done? i have the 50eh model i use adapter nex to ef canon for various lenses asks will have to do it and why?
what will change?

Last edited by Serggio Lamas; May 6th, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #87
Trustee

Sergio,

You need to be in advanced mode for all of the adapters features to work properly. On your LCD screen you will see focus distance and zoom indicators when in advanced mode. If there not showing your in green mode which is primarily for alpha still cameras.

Steve
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #88
Trustee

Chris & Michael,

I have two 7" external monitors I use a lot. To turn data display on/off go to menu/display/display ouput/ and select LCD or all output.

Steve
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Sergio,

You need to be in advanced mode for all of the adapters features to work properly. On your LCD screen you will see focus distance and zoom indicators when in advanced mode. If there not showing your in green mode which is primarily for alpha still cameras.
Steve you can post an example on image to see what changes?
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #90
Trustee

Sergio,

I am not sure what your asking for? Put your stock lens on the camera. In the top left and bottom left of your LCD screen you will see indicators appear when you zoom or focus your lens. Then put your Metabones adapter on. If you do not see the zoom range or focus distance indicators anymore than the adaptor is in “green mode”. It needs to be in advanced mode to fully function on your EA50. Everything is explained on the Metabones website here: Metabones®

I hope this helps.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)