I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 5th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #91
Major Player

Re: I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M

Hi Steve,

It's been a while and I figure you've been using the EA50U and EA50M together quite a bit now.
Any further remarks about how happy you are intercutting the cameras?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #92
Trustee

Hey David,

The EA50M is a mixed blessing. With everything being the same except the sensor it is NOT a matched pair. The images are very different in several ways. So what I got is one stop of improvement in low light and a nicer, cleaner, image. It just flat out looks better. I am not convinced there is a big improvement in moire and aliasing but there might be a little improvement. If I could send my EA50U in for the new sensor I would. I have ALWAYS owned a matched set of cameras. At least two and sometimes three of the same. This mismatch is frustrating for me.

The new "G" lens is a dream. It is superior to the 18-200 PZ in every way. The zoom speed is back up where it should be. It handles well and feels good. I do most shooting in manual so a constant aperture is important. It is so sharp it matches my Canon "L" glass better than the 18-200 PZ. I don't consider the 18-200 PZ to be a bad lens. I take it for what it is, a kit lens. But now I know I can not use it with all of my other really good glass because you CAN see the difference in sharpness when cut together. The "G" lens stands up to the Canons. If I want to run in full auto on both cameras I use the 18-200 PZ on both cameras for the best overall match. Or I can use two Canons and the "G" Sony matches Canons OK.

I still like my EA50s and they have a lot of life in them. But a EA50u and an EA50M are NOT a matched pair of cameras. If you were really good with profiles I suppose they are close enough to be dialed in. My color vision is not perfect so I have to leave fine adjustments like that up to other people. I need to dig into them but have not done that yet. So far I add a very little saturation in post and it comes around.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; August 6th, 2015 at 12:58 PM.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #93
Major Player

Hi Steven,
Thank you for taking the time again to explain all that. It is likely that you have provided the best information on the internet regarding the U vs M. I do appreciate it and that helps myself and others a lot.
I hope you have a great week.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #94
Major Player

Steven,

I'm thinking for upgrading to the M version. You say sharper image and a bit better in low light.
I have never seen your samples between the 2 because your videos doens't exist anymore.

Is it possible to make a new one or re-upload them? That would be great!
Just a sample in daylight and lower light if possible.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #95
Trustee

Tom,

I not only took the videos down I got rid of them. Every once in a while I do big data sweep on my hard drives and online accounts for housekeeping and data management.

The EA50M is an improved version of the original but it is subtle. If you are going to keep the one you have and add a second that is a great way to go. I love my cameras. But I would not invest a lot of money if you are thinking of it as an upgrade, you might be disappointed at the subtle changes.

The new lens is far superior to the old kit lens. The US price for the lens is $599.00 that is half of the upgrade. The other benefit is about a one stop difference in sensor sensitivity, thats it.

I also have a VG30 with the same guts as the EA50s. I fly it or use it for small and light work so I have a three camera kit I am very pleased with.

Are you upgrading or adding?

Steve
Old September 30th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #96
Major Player

thx Steven for the reply. I want to upgrade. I already have the sony HXR-NX3 for fiming events/stage shows when I need lots of zoom. A little panasonic HX-X920 as second camera for that and for fiming on vacation.

The EA50 I used more for cinematic shots or run and gun. I have a steadicam with arm and vest now so a shouldercam isn't maybe not more so important. I was thinking about a second hand FS100 or a new Ea50M. Or stay with EA50EH I have and wait for something new.

I'm a bit confused what to do.

Bu you say I will be dissapointed if I upgrade to the M version? sharper image is nice and 1 stop difference in low light. Would like to see some footage between these 2 if possible?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #97
Major Player

As a former EA50 owner and current FS700 / A7S owner, I'm pretty sure that Steven is right when he says you'd be disappointed if you buy the M version hoping for it to be an upgrade to your current EA50.
Spend your money on something else instead!
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #98
Major Player

thx guys. you are right. I'm going to keep thr nex-ea50H. It's still a good camcorder. Even the slow stock lens is good in lower light (just tested it to make the right decission)

I will wait when something news comes with shouldermount.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)