DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Proaim Pro Zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/527762-proaim-pro-zoom.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. April 12th, 2015 01:38 AM

Proaim Pro Zoom

For you guys that do not have the Servo Kit lens I think you may find this Pro Zoom to be pretty nice for the price. I got it with my Proaim shoulder rig. I got the Follow Focus and the Pro Zoom. I have not had a chance to use it on a shoot yet but playing with it so far I really like it. It has a smooth motion. Just something to think about.

Pro zoom with 6Pc gear set for canon Sony Panasonic and jvc cameras

Chris Harding April 12th, 2015 09:26 AM

Re: Proaim Pro Zoom

I really don't see any advantage Aaron!! It's still a manual system so it's just as easy to twist the zoom ring instead of moving a lever surely.

I have their follow focus and never use it .. it's a pain in the butt and the rail system just adds camera weight ....Just a warning that although their products are getting better the engineering tolerances are not good at all .. my follow focus needs constant adjustment as it starts slipping and moves away from the gear ring! I find it just as easy to focus using the lens ring and for me it adds an awful amount of weight to the front end which I can do without!!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. April 12th, 2015 12:21 PM

Hi Chris,

I understand what you are saying. I keep forgetting that it is part of a rail system that I decided to embrace. But, for the record you can not twist the zoom as smooth as you can with the Pro Zoom. The build and quality is really good. The levers you recommended to me were awesome to me but, it depends on the quality of the lens as to how smooth it will rotate. My Tamron 17-50mm does not rotate as smooth as my Tamron 24-70mm. Your follow focus, if I'm not mistaken ans we talking about the same one from your thread, is that way because you bought a cheaper one I'm sure, as oppose to a more quality follow focus. Either way just making it known that this Pro Zoom by Proaim is pretty awesome for those interested. Down side is that it uses the rail system. Also the Proaim Follow focus is just as good. I will try and update after using it a bit on a few shoots.

Chris Harding April 12th, 2015 07:12 PM

Thanks Aaron

I have bought a LOT of gear from Cine City/Proaim/Camtree which is all the same company in India and they have got a lot better over the years..their early stuff was shocking!! I have bought rail systems, matte boxes, 3 x flycam rigs and a lot more from them!! The more they make the better their QC becomes.

I'm sure the zoom and focus work well ...now, if it was a motor driven zoom THEN I would be interested!!!

Your FS100's don't have the digital 2X zoom like the EA-50 do they?? I find that really useful and the IQ hardly drops at all too!! I have been down the rails/matte box/follow focus route and yes, they did work nicely BUT the added front end weight killed me and they are now in the cupboard. (yep I did buy a cheapy FF and then later a Camtree one which is the same as ProAim)

There are however very few situations where I need to do a power zoom as I mainly use the zoom for framing so hand twist is the easiest.

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. April 12th, 2015 08:17 PM

Hey Chris,

No sir, no Digital Zoom.

Yeah, they have the power zoom but I do not know how well it works... As far a motor noise, and the longevity of the motors. IT is around $750. for me that is not what I'm looking for but I wish I could get some feed back from someone who has actually been using it.

Chris Harding April 13th, 2015 02:38 AM

Thanks Aaron

I wonder where one would put the little control box?? I guess it would be fine for tripod use but I can't see it being of any use for handheld ... the zoom rocker on cameras that your fingers fall directly onto are so convenient ... probably the system you have is all you need.

Just be very careful that if you add gear onto your camera it's because you honestly NEED it and not because it makes your camera look "cool" and "professional" Steve Digges taught me that !! The EA-50 looks awesome with a rail and big matte box on the front but just by adding that makes it totally impractical to handhold and it ends up being completely unbalanced ... even a rail and follow focus for me threw the balance out so badly I ended up with a backache after each gig ... I ripped it off and the backache went away!!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. April 13th, 2015 02:05 PM

LOL!! Thanks Chris,

Yeah this is not something I need at all. I just mentioned it because you said something about a motor system in one of your posts. I'm not into looks as I am into the finish product. I think more beginners are into all the fancy gadets because they are just that new to the game and wanting to experience all the different options. So I don't think it is more about making the cam look impressive as it is trying out new things and seeing what works for them.

I have embraced the rail system because I went with the FS100. There is no getting around having it with this cam. Although I do enjoy the candid hand held with the grip with out any gear, of course it is not for serious paid shoots. I will go hand held for my personal projects and music videos and things of that nature when i can capitalize on the perspective that hand held brings. I have my first wedding with the FS100's I bought this month and I will be able to let you guys know how I like it.

I'm also in the mist of modifying my rig to my custom use as I go and I will post some pics when finished. I bought a rig where I didn't like the cowboy shoulder pad so I'm getting some items in the mail today to remedy that. I'm making custom counter weights for the rail system and also monitor brackets that attach to my cheese plate. The next custom work is the hand grips for the rail system.