What's next camera with my ea50m at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Trustee

What's next camera with my ea50m

Ok liking what I am working with a lot with my EA50M. Now I am wondering which camera to add to the lineup.

My camera lineup wil consist of the following:

1. Sony EA50M
2. Sony NX5U
3. Canon T3i

I have various lenses (Tamron 17-50 VC Di, Canon 50mm 1.4, Rokinon 85mm 1.4, Sigma 17-20mm 3.5-6.3 which I want to drop and add faster constant zoom. I am looking to pickup the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and maybe Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM) but here's my train of thought. While I love my Canon glass I seem to lean towards Sony more than Canon. So with that said I am thinking of the following...

Switch my system to entirely Sony, in order to maximize my equiptment.
So I would pickup the Sony A7s and have the ability to share lenses as needed, and of course get fantastic low light ability when needed. The mirrorless system will be much more compact than the larger EA50M and I am not planning on adding a rail system but rather of all things The Dougmon system, which is a compact arm support and shoulder sling method which gives freedom of movement to the arm and wrist, but takes the stress off of the arm and wrist as well. I do not want a rial type system but one that is compact easy to setup and shoot in an instant. So I want handheld shooting as well as tripod/monopod shooting when needed.

The other option is not going with the A77 but rather the FS100. Which I was debating on. The reason being that I am pretty certain if the Dougman works out I can shoot with that and have support and not get fatigued. then if needed swap the camera to tripod or monopod when needed.

As for monitoring the video I am seriously considering the Small HD 502 for either of my setups. I get focus assist and more in the size and weight of a mobile phone. It's pricey, but I love SmallHDs stuff when I have used them.

The other option is to not worry about one Sony system and go for the Canon C100, which is fantastic for video. With the exception of the crapy LCD.

So what is the consensus of the group...

1. Sony A7s
2. Sony FS100
3. Canon C100

I lean to the A7s of C100 due to the form factor being small and like a DSLR, with the size of the FS100 being more like the EA50M.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; April 16th, 2015 at 10:58 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What's next camera with my ea50m

I use the EA50 and the A7s and I'm very happy with the combination. I also have a lot of Nikon manual focus lenses which I use via a cheap adaptor.
The A7s is superb in many respects, particularly it's low light ability, and for me the E mount seals the deal. I use it with a Beachtek XLR box so I have four good audio inputs when shooting with both cameras.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Matt appreciate the Info.
I'm leaning but ha've a lens question.

If I use an aps-c lens on the A7s am I best to shoot in Full Frame or APS-C mode?
Old April 17th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A7s matches well with my EA50 - I think the profiles are very similar - I use PP3 on both and they edit together pretty nicely.

If you use an APS-C lens on the A7s I think (may depend on your adapter) it will default to APS-C mode. I use the Metabones smart adapter and that's what it does.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #5
Trustee

Matt does your A7S have a 30min time limit ? I read US NTSC versions don't but European models do ?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi James, I have never tried the 30 minute limit on my A7s, but will give it a try if I have a chance this weekend. I guess it does have the limit as it is seen as a photo camera rather than a video camera in the EU?

Regarding the APS-C lens, I have used the really nice E Mount 50mm f1.8 OSS on the A7s, and by default it switches to APS-C mode, but you can over - ride this and manually select full frame or crop mode. The 50mm Sony almost covers full frame, but not quite.
Old April 17th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Matt thanks for the info on the crop mode.

If I use the Sony A-mount to E-mount adapter (tranucent technology) I can use Alpha mount lens like Sigma 70-200 gsm and get af, iris, and is control on the camera, correct.
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
Hi James, I have never tried the 30 minute limit on my A7s, but will give it a try if I have a chance this weekend. I guess it does have the limit as it is seen as a photo camera rather than a video camera in the EU?
Yes please, if you can confirm the limit that would be great. Too many mixed statements online about the limit.

I'm ready to buy one, but it will be replacing two B cameras I currently have rather than one. If it doesn't have a time limit I will add a rode mic to it as well and use it for event recording rather than small clips.
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Matt thanks for the info on the crop mode.

If I use the Sony A-mount to E-mount adapter (tranucent technology) I can use Alpha mount lens like Sigma 70-200 gsm and get af, iris, and is control on the camera, correct.
Hi Michael, I don't know as I have no experience of using Sony A lenses. I have only ever used manual focus Nikon lenses on my A7s and operated the focus and aperture manually.
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Yes please, if you can confirm the limit that would be great. Too many mixed statements online about the limit.

I'm ready to buy one, but it will be replacing two B cameras I currently have rather than one. If it doesn't have a time limit I will add a rode mic to it as well and use it for event recording rather than small clips.
I left the A7s recording whilst I was out, and yes, there is a time limit on the UK model. I recorded in AVCHD and it cut off at 29mins 50 secs 08.

I've attached a screenshot of the file in Vegas, and it has been split into three files.
Attached Thumbnails
What's next camera with my ea50m-vegas-a7s.jpg  
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #11
Trustee

I'll have to source a NTSC model off ebay then. Looks like the EU version is capped.

Thanks for sharing the results!
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Mine is the international version and it stops after 29 minutes - some more info here

Sony a7S video recording time limit: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Trustee

Hi Michael,

Keep in mind your new 18-105 G will not work well on the FS100. I believe the FS100 is on the pincushion list. Also, IMHO, I do not see any comparison between the form factor of the EA50 and FS100. One is semi shoulder mount and the other is a big square box for cine use.

Steve
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Great information everyone. Thank you.
So does the USA verson of the A7s not have a 29 minute record limit?

Peter. So simply matching the settings on the EA50 and A7S using PP3 yields a good match without extra post work?

I have an EA50U and trying to decide on a 2nd camera (EA50, A7S or other)
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Hi Michael,

Keep in mind your new 18-105 G will not work well on the FS100. I believe the FS100 is on the pincushion list. Also, IMHO, I do not see any comparison between the form factor of the EA50 and FS100. One is semi shoulder mount and the other is a big square box for cine use.

Steve
Steve I wasn't really planning on using the 18-105 with the FS100 if I purchased it but rather the Sigma 1-35mm 1.8 and Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 lenses.

Although the more I look at it the more I élan towards the A7s, as I get a camera that I can sue for both photo and incredible low light video. Plus the form factor can be kept very small. I am looking at a cage and small rails for handheld, tripod/monopod, or pole supported use. As no matter what I am going to pickup the 15mm gimbal from DVTec to use with my support pod that I already have for the DVMultiRig. Not to mention I could easily sue the MultiRig with the A7s for fluid handheld use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)