Counterweight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Counterweight

Hi Folks - my back is telling me to get a counterweight for my EA50 as I'm struggling on longer shoots with it being front heavy (I use a Canon 24-105mm + Metabones adapter)

What are you folks using?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Counterweight

Hi Pete

So you REALLY want to be in traction for a month?? With just the stock lens on the EA-50 you need around 1.2kg hanging right off the shoulder pad to see any difference! Take the camera, battery and a nearly the same weight added to the shoulder pad and it will be even worse!! I did just one shoot with the counterweight I built and by the end of the day I could hardly walk! Just picking up the monster off the floor is a task in itself!!

The sprung rod and waist belt is the only decent answer ...mine actually is set so the front end is slightly negative weight so I need just a gentle touch to get it horizontal ... the only actual effort you have is keeping the camera horizontals correct as it tends to either tilt towards or away from your head if you let it go almost completely .... I can shoot unlimited time with no wobbles using my rod ... the Indian one does need a fair amount of mods but it's still cheap at $65.00 ....the belt is never tight enough using Velcro so I use one salvaged from an old camera waist bag that can be made tight!!

I thought you bought one of these?? Much better than a weight

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have got one Chris but I found it a bit limiting when I suddenly wanted to shoot from high up or low down, I had the free hanging rod to contend with - I get what you are saying though - maybe I'll dig it out for next week's wedding and give it another go.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

If you have the Velcro belt then it simply doesn't work as the belt just sits too high! My DIY belt was a waist camera bag with the bag cut off and a bit of Masonite where the bag used to be BUT I also added an "L" bracket with a socket so it pocket (mine is a PVC tube) sits 3 or 4" below my belly button and that way you have a nice tilt range as the rod mounted at your waist is simply too long!! I can comfortably tilt up and down 45 degrees with the rod mounted this way.

There is a post here called "saved by the rod" with all the mods to make it work correctly!

Otherwise maybe you need one of these ??? Flycam Flowline Camera Support|Steady Shots

Chris
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Chis in using a spring pod.
I already had a spring rod from DVTEC via their multirig, and modified it slightly.
The rod itself was too long with its current 3 sections, so I removed the lower section and it is the perfect height now.
I can use it on rails if needed, but I found rails were bulky and added to much weight, so I ordered the quick release support pod connector from DVTEC and modified it so it connects to my Manfrotto quick release plate. If I need to I can quickly switched it back to a rail configuration. Works like a charm.

Now I simply attatch the qr release plate to the camera and connect the support pod and I'm in business.
When I need to mount it on a monopod or tripod I simply detach the camera from the manfrotto qr plate.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; June 5th, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I also have a custom made rail for mine! A complete rail system added far to much weight to the camera so I just have 2 x lengths of 1/2" aluminium tube space 3" apart and pop riveted two strips across each end ...one screws in the tripod mount thread under the camera and the other ends up under the lens hood and has a hole in the aluminium plate for the rod to drop into ..only weighs a few grams and is simple to fit!!
Old June 7th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Pete

If you have the Velcro belt then it simply doesn't work as the belt just sits too high! My DIY belt was a waist camera bag with the bag cut off and a bit of Masonite where the bag used to be BUT I also added an "L" bracket with a socket so it pocket (mine is a PVC tube) sits 3 or 4" below my belly button and that way you have a nice tilt range as the rod mounted at your waist is simply too long!! I can comfortably tilt up and down 45 degrees with the rod mounted this way.

There is a post here called "saved by the rod" with all the mods to make it work correctly!

Otherwise maybe you need one of these ??? Flycam Flowline Camera Support|Steady Shots

Chris
Lol Chris that looks really good and I'm sure it works well but.....do I want to look like that at a wedding :) My rod system is the same one as yours (you recommended it many moons back) so I'm going to dig it out again for a retry!
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

I assume you are talking about the flowline system ... If so I'm sure you would get plenty of "Robocop" comments and I also think it would be a hindrance in a crowded Church or Reception! I don't think I would wear something like that as you would stand out like a sore thumb!!

The support rod is a LOT more discrete but the major failure of the whole thing is it works perfectly if you happen to be a 6'9" basketball player .. for us "normal" people the rod is too long and cutting it down reduces it's range and stiffness so the correct bottom point needs to be a lot lower so without being too rude, sorta around the family jewels area rather than up around your waist ... if you use a bracket so the rod end docks around 3" lower than your trousers belt you will find it works very well indeed! I find I can use the thicker rod section to set the operational height so with the travel with the thinner rod/spring you get equal tilt up and down. The rod system as standard has a useless plastic section below the flexi pin at the top of the rod that also needs to be discarded (I have mods in the same post here) which shortens the rod by around 50mm but doesn't affect the range or travel.

Let me know if you have any questions??

Chris
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Trustee

Chris with my spring pod I simply removed the bottom section of the pod and then used silicon spray to make the remaining section slide smoothly. So it now sits at the perfect height for my midget stature.
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Trustee

Peter,

My Canon 70-200 F2.8 is way too heavy to run n gun with so I attach a monopod to the lens collar attachment point on the lens. When I do not want the monopod in the way for moving really fast I retract it and use it as a handle.

Does your 24-105 have a lens collar? If not you could use the 1/4 20 on the Metabones. It seems to help keeping the monopod attached as far forward as you can.

When the EA50 was first released a bunch of guys tried counter weighting it. Chris is not the only one that bailed out, I think everyone did.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)