DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Bizarre...Time Code quit working...both cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/528701-bizarre-time-code-quit-working-both-cameras.html)

Steven Digges June 9th, 2015 02:40 PM

Bizarre...Time Code quit working...both cameras

Bizarre time code problem….Time code stopped rolling on both of my EA50s at the same time! They record and everything seems fine but all I have on my viewfinder is a string of zeros that does not change. User Bit works but not traditional Rec Run code I always use. My original EA50U did this once before when it was very new. I had to do a factory reset and since then it worked fine. But now that both cameras are doing it at the same time it blows me away. Now I am wondering if it is something I did but I don’t know what that would be? A couple of weeks ago I did an out of state shoot. That is when I noticed it, when I was in Arkansas. Did I go through a time warp or fly into a hot nuclear zone? I don’t know? I do not know if the travel had anything to do with it or not. I keep GPS turned off and auto zone turned off. I went through both cameras and changed everything that has to do with time and GPS and then set it back. I don’t know if those things are even linked to the time code generator or not but I tried with no luck.

I would really like to avoid hitting the reset button and losing all of my settings on two cameras. Ideas anyone?

Steve

Steve Bobilin June 10th, 2015 12:16 AM

Re: Bizarre...Time Code quit working...both cameras

What is your setup? Are you recording to SD and/or FMU?

Steven Digges June 10th, 2015 09:09 AM

Just the same 32 gig san disk cards I always use. No FMU.

Steve

Lee Berger June 10th, 2015 12:08 PM

Steven:
I think you are looking at user bits (U-Bit) instead of timecode. There is a t TC/U-bit toggle on top of the camera with the transport controls.

Steven Digges June 10th, 2015 01:49 PM

Thanks Lee, that was it! I own two of them, I thought I knew every menu item and every button. Now I have a red face because I don't use UB so I have never used that button. It was a dark reception and I was pushing things in the dark. When both cameras started doing it I suspected user error but kept trying to fix it in the menu settings. Now I know. A dedicated button for TC/UB? Go figure....

Steve

Lee Berger June 10th, 2015 03:31 PM

It's fresh on my mind because I inadvertently pressed that button last week.

Adam Gold June 10th, 2015 07:07 PM

Good call, Lee. This is almost always the reason when someone thinks TC has stopped working on Sony cams. Telltale sign is that the colons (:) disappear.