Time to Replace Cameras -where to now? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Time to Replace Cameras -where to now?

Hi Noa

Yep I have it but as you found the EA-50 is still very bulky ... I wasn't even considering the FZ1000 for receptions ... The only light weight camera for that scenario is the A7S I guess?? I'm simply trying to downsize and the operative word is "SIZE"

Still looking at options and suggestions

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #47
Inner Circle

You said before that you even found the gh4 too expensive so that should rule out that a7s as that will be even more expensive coupled with a good stabilized zoomlens.

If I was you and had to re-invest into entirely new camera's I"d get a sony ax100 (or a x70 with 4k option if I needed the xlr) and a sony a7s with one f4.0 good wide to tele stabilised zoomlens and then I"d get a sony a6000 with a fixed fast wideangle lens for my steadicam. The a6000 has impressive autofocus which can be very usable in certain situations. I'd then get a Nebula alike handheld stabilizer (which function a lot better then the feiyu type stabilisers) and fit all that in one backpack.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Thanks Noa

That's worth a look at!! At this stage I still have both cameras so they are going nowhere in the immediate future as I cannot take the risk of selling them off and ending up with not enough to replace them. I have to work it so I can purchase new gear and still keep the old stuff just in case my decision was a bad one!

Being my income I have to have immediate access to gear as I could get a shoot tomorrow for all I know!

So far I haven't found anything that will give me the same results both inside and outside and allow me to have a lighter load (without some serious expenditure) so I'm still looking !!! I really do need a nice fast lens for receptions though that doesn't weigh a ton .... did you ever shoot 25P and 1/25th shutter on yours ..the extra gain in that mode could enable me to use something like an F2.8 prime instead of the heavy F1.8 which would help a lot!!

Chris
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #49
Regular Crew

How can I move smoothly in 25p?
logically at a higher speed should have been move smoothly but do not do it why?
it will definitely be with 25p or 30p
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #50
Major Player

Chris, have you considered a camcorder with built in zoom lens, say the Canon XA20? F1.8-2.8 20X lens, camcorder format and XLR audio inputs. No lenses to change and balance stays the same whatever focal length you are using.

Just a thought.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

How do you know that video was shot at 25P?? Even 25P will still handle motion reasonably well
If you look really carefully you can see a tiny bit of blur on the car closeups.

Are you talking about the subject moving or you moving??
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Thanks Dave

Simple answer here .. I don't like Canon ... dunno why but their video cameras do nothing for me and they are overpriced. That camcorder also is a handheld off the tripod so one is likely to get wobbles at weddings.

I'm not asking too much from my EA-50's I just want an awesome F1.4 zoom up front that weighs in at 200 grams not nearly 1000 grams.

Any reading Serggio's post above I get get a stack more light into the camera shooting at 1/25 instead of 1/50 plus IF I can find a speedbooster that does Nikon to e-Mount I could easily get away with an F2.8 lens which is half the weight of my Sigma and the balance might be restored.

This entire "changeover" might not even happen this season as I am getting shoot requests now for next month and I cannot afford to be playing around with new gear when I have work to do ... so it might go on hold until next Winter ... no big deal but I still might treat myself to an FZ1000 and play with that in conjunction with the Sony's ... Haven't found anything really that could be classed as an easy replacement and stay within my budget.
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #53
Regular Crew

chris
no offense
probably did not know to stand out in video 25p and 50p see the rims of cars that spin,is 25p or 30p
If the camera you have succeeded in entering the same as in the video 50p to buy your camera
this video is NOT 50p is 25p or 30p I bet about that
and most importantly there is no trace of moire and aliasing
I saw this video, I bought the camera,but others the shows the Sony and another sells
why does not answer the Sony how lens and rec mode speed etc. is this video
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

Have you tried some footage shot at 25P? Is there a problem???

I have used 25P which defaults the shutter to 1/25th and apart from some blur if you pan too fast I didn't see any problems at all??

Chris
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Chris, there are a couple things you should know about the FZ1000 if you are considering this cam.

1) The stabilization does not work well in 4K. I originally thought with mine that stabilazation was not
available in 4K but was told by someone on another forum that it was. Either way I don't find it helpful.

2) The manual focus ring needs to be turned at such a speed as to make acquiring focus smoothly and quickly difficult. By having to turn the ring at a speed fast enough to engage one tends to overshoot. AF is very fast and accurate but doesn't hold well. With even small movement in the frame it loses and re-acquires.

3) With that heavy lens hanging out there on a small body the cam is very poorly balanced which for me
makes the cam difficult to use handheld combined with the other two issues.

I pre-ordered my cam so have one of the early ones which was made in Japan. The new ones are made in
China if this is a concern for you. Maybe these issues have been addressed in newer models.

Having said all that I really like the cam and actually use it more than my GH4. Great burst rate, excellent
time laspe, good video images, good slow motion. Either or both stabilization/AF very noisy (much more so than the FZ200) so off cam mic a necessity.

Tom Mussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Thanks so much Tom

Roger has already ordered one so he will appreciate this advice too ..he is upgrading from his FZ200!

The China thing is a bit worrying ..I used Panny cameras for 25 years until they switched to China with the AC series and were complete rubbish compared to the Japanese made ones .. I sold my AC-130's after 3 months ..hopefully things have improved.

Roger gave me a manual and yes that mentions operation noise as well as limit to OIS at 4K

I'm sticking with my Sony's for now BUT I want an FZ1000 for my stedicam ..at present I shoot on the Sony and then slow down in post ..doing it in slo mo will be awesome!!

Chris
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Serggio

How do you know that video was shot at 25P?? Even 25P will still handle motion reasonably well
If you look really carefully you can see a tiny bit of blur on the car closeups.

Are you talking about the subject moving or you moving??
Hi Chris
I got the answer for video
The frame rate IS 24fps with Nikon Lens 70-300 -50-and 35 without any picture profile
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

So what you are saying is you get no moire or aliasing if you shoot in 24P?? I thought that was a sensor issue rather than a frame rate issue?

If it works for you the by all means shoot in 24/24p but just remember the shutter will default to 1/25 not 1/50 so you will get a bit of blur with the slower shutter if you move the camera too fast.

I still shoot with the profile very flat (PP3) as the "no profile" will push the black level way too much ..Guys in black suits end up with no detail at all so it's better to keep the detail and then add a colour curve in post.

Chris
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
So what you are saying
Am I the only one here that doesn't understand what Serggio is trying to say? :) Not sure what the framerate/shutter, pictureprofile or lens used in that video has to do with Chris his question what replacement camera's to get?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #60
Regular Crew

I will keep the ea50 on a tripod for static shots with 25p will simultaneously shoot a Canon 5d mark ii (I want to go to Canon 6D) have gh3 and think about buying a more gh4 or Sony A7s
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)