Time to Replace Cameras -where to now? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 16th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Time to Replace Cameras -where to now?

Hi Noa

Don't worry I have no idea either.. I'm guessing so I suspect it's a language barrier and Serggio speaks better English than I speak his language ... From what I have fathomed out so far is that the sample video he inserted a few posts up done by Sony had no moire and no aliasing in it and Sony didn't say what format it was shot in so he is figuring that the reason must be the format ...he found out later it was shot in 24Pand has now posted that he will use 25P on the EA50 combined with various other cameras including a 5D, GH3 and then maybe a 6D and GH4 and Sony A7 ... Sounds very complicated ! There is another post in my Profiles and Colour Curves one too .. dunno why
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Chris Thank you for the correction does not speak very well English
my another post in (Colour Curves and Pricture Profiles) there was a mistake apologize.
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Hi Serggio

I cannot speak your language at all so you are doing great!! If you are shooting at 25P just remember that in low light the shutter will change to 1/25th not 1/50th so be careful with fast pans in this mode. 25P does also give you the advantage of better low light with the slower shutter ...in 50P a scenario that needs 15db gain at 1/50th only needs 9db at 1/25th so you halve the ISO required.

Chris
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Thank you Chris use manual shutter speed 1/50 with 12db with PP3 I have not tried to 1/25
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #65
Inner Circle

If you shoot in full auto 25P will default to 1/25th automatically until the gain drops below zero then it will change to 1/50th ....1/25th indoors needs a 6db gain decrease so at higher levels you get less noise!!
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Am I the only one here that doesn't understand what Serggio is trying to say? :) Not sure what the framerate/shutter, pictureprofile or lens used in that video has to do with Chris his question what replacement camera's to get?
No you're not! And nothing as far as I can see

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Ok back to the original post now since Serggio has been sorted out!

Stage two will swing into action over this weekend .. I will put the first EA-50 body up for sale over the weekend ... and then see what happens ...the plan is to drop one of the EA-50 bodies first and get a FZ1000 .... if I use this one as an A-Cam what I will do is pop it into a cage so it gives me someone to mount a mic and receivers and I'll also add one of the new DSLR style Beachtek XLR units to sort my audio gear and to also overcome the fact that you cannot adjust audio levels while recording.

I think that something simple like a Rode VM Pro on the hotshoe should be good enough.

With regards to selling I figured that splitting the body and lenses and any other bits and pieces would keep the newbies away so only genuine videographers will consider it! Is that wrong or right or would you sell it as a ready to use setup with a lens??
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #68
Trustee

IMHO. You already sold your kit lens. It is not a ready to go camera no matter what you do. Selling it with a dumb adapter and a nikon or after market lens is not going to add much value. You need a buyer that knows and wants an EA50.

Steve
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

Both actually so I will get a better result as a body only .. the FS100 and FS700 can be purchased as body only cameras but not the EA-50 ... I'll see if I can get someone who already has lenses (either e-mount or Nikon) A complete stock standard camera tends to attract amateurs who think a pro camera is going to make them experts ...I would prefer to sell to a videographer/photog who knows what is involved. Extra Nikon lenses are easy to sell on eBay !! Tons of wannabe photogs out there!!

A while back on eBay I wasn't using my rails and follow focus and you wouldn't believe how many people wanted to know what it did and will it automatically focus my DSLR ... trying to avoid those sort of people!

Chris
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #70
Trustee

deleted, for good sense
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #71
Inner Circle

Aw Steve

You know you cannot upset me and I know how much you love your cameras too so if you want to yell at me... I'm tough and can take it!! They are still awesome cameras I know but I need a change... who knows? they might not sell and I'll stay with them!!

Pete Rush seems to be getting old too! He is doing a downsize as well as it's really a lot of gear to lug around at wedding venues !!! With your more commercial shoots you don't have the pain of running up and down stairs with all the gear. If I was doing controlled commercial shoots I wouldn't change a thing.

Chris
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
deleted, for good sense
haha, common Steve, don't hold back, we all appreciate your brutal honest opinion :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

It might be brutal but Steve and I have shared many heated discussions on the forum so I'm sure if anything is said on impulse we will forgive each other.

OK, there is another reason I want to drop the Sony's and that is my weddings shot 2 years ago on my cheap Panasonic HMC82's with it's tiny 1/4" chips to me looks a lot better than my EA-50 footage ...I have used Sony lenses, Sigma lenses and Nikon lenses on both cameras yet the footage still doesn't shine like my Panasonic's shooting 50i at 17mbps .... I'm sure it's a technical thing or might be a picture profile thing but my weddings did drop off in overall quality with the Sony's ... I have no idea why and the footage is sharp plus the EA-50 is a delight to use and has everything that opens and shuts BUT my wedding footage still looks better on the older cameras.

I have never been able to figure out why but that's the sad story! Any commercial shoot I have done however has been pristine and clients loved it ...maybe it's just not a wedding camera but better suited to commercial work??

Chris
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

I love the look of my weddings from my little Panasonic's, which is why I have kept them for so long and why I will continue down a similar replacement route starting with the FX1000.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #75
Inner Circle

I think it's a camera that needs a little nursing to get the best out of it and a fast paced wedding doesn't give us the time to do it - when I use it for an afternoon reception and have a few hours to get guests relaxing and having their photos taken etc it shines, but when I'm using it for the guests all arriving at once etc or the mad and badly lit evening reception I struggle as I'm sure the camera can cope, but I don't have the time to coax it to get the best out of it (am I making sense here?)

Also I think we all are pretty much using it with manual lenses where focus is concerned and whatever anyone says - in a fast paced wedding event autofocus has it's place! If the kit lens had been f2.8 constant it might be a different story.

I'm now looking at using my A7s with a nice Ziess zoom as my main camera of choice - but for next season.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)