Have EA50-add A7s or fs100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 2nd, 2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Trustee

Have EA50-add A7s or fs100

I currently have a Sony nx5u and EA50m, as well as Sony a6000. I also have Sony 18-105mms, Sony 35mm, Sony 50mms, Sigma 16-50mms 1.4 art lens, Sigma 70-200mms 2.8, Ta.Ron 17-75mms 2.8, as well as Sony LAea3 andLAEA4 adapters, and metabones adapter.

I am looking to add another camera and was wondering something. I don't have a ton to spend about $1,800.

With the fs100 being discontinued I can get a new body for $1,600, and with the a7sii being released people are downloading their a7s cameras.

Which would you choose and why?

New Sony fs100 which I can fun as is, lenses, audio, external monitor, no overheating g or time limit.
Used Sony a7s with lenses and use follow focus, external monitor, time limit, and overheating g potential.

I mainly do event and cooperate video but some photo.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Have EA50-add A7s or fs100

I think the fs100 would make more sense for you when shooting corporate video and events, eventhough the fs100 introductory date was a few years back it's still a very competent camera and at it's current low price it's a bargain. You have to take the weird formfactor into account but as long as you can work in controlled environments and mostly on a tripod that should not be a problem, in any other case you will be looking at some kind of rig for run and gun I guess.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Trustee

I have had the fs100 for nearly 4 years now, and it's still a great camera. Perhaps one of the best I've had since moving to small form-factor cameras. At $1600 (or, I assume less, used) I can't see how it wouldn't make money from day 1.

It's great on a tripod (slider, gimbal, steadicam, etc), but I don't have a problem handholding once you get used to hasselblad style (and the resulting look).

I loved the Canon 5DMkII image like no other. I swore at it from the day I got it until the day I put it away when I got the FS100. I declared I'd never shoot video with a still cam again. Never regretted it. I'd put the A7s in that category.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Trustee

Mike thanks for the input.
I prefer to do a lot of handheld work, so my only main concern about the FS100 is shooting in handheld mode.
I don't want to add a ton of stuff to turn the camera into a frankenstein setup. I generally attach wireless, light (if needed), monitor (if needed), and that's it.

Does the supplied handgrip work good for handheld use? I have heard complaints about it. And of course are ether any major drawbacks to the top mounted LCD and handheld work?

I have a support pod from dvtec that I modified and took the support pod attachment and attached it to my qr plate. this way I can move from support pod mode to tripod quickly and easily. I also can shoot from my SURI monopod as well for mobility.

My concern about the FS100 is weather or not I can shoot in a shoulder or pod mode without the need of an external monitor. Are you able to shoot handheld ok, with just the top viewfinder?

I do have a IKAN VH7i 7" monitor (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1124873-REG/ikan_vh7i_2_7_hdmi_lcd.html) that I can attach if needed, but once again I want to keep the setup small and compact. I know that the FS100 is pretty small in it's original form factor and would lie to keep it that way possible.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:24 AM   #5
Trustee

I shoot handheld Hassleblad style. (See photo). This one is pretty stripped down (I usually have rails and a mattebox) but I must have just pulled it off the jib or something.

It is possible to shoot shoulder mount but the eye piece positioning is weird and I don't like it. I really like the stability of the camera closer to the core of my body, and I have come to shoot really well that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Have EA50-add A7s or fs100-15_honky_mike_watson_cortez_l_johnson_deleon_dallas_5x7_300dpi_photo_credit_daren_scott.jpg  
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That what I meant with having to use "some kind of rig for run and gun". The fs100 has for a videocamera a very weird formfactor making it difficult to handhold, the placement of the viewfinder also will limit camerapositions while still being able to see what you are doing. That "Hassleblad" style of shooting is something the formfactor of the camera forces you to use in some occasions but it also limits the way you can control your camera.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Your lens lineup seems to be a mix of FF and crop lenses. If you need stills, the A7s is the way to go. If you're doing corporate stuff, the FS100 is probably a better option because of audio inputs and controls. Plus you won't have big camera envy when people look at the tiny A7s.

If you don't mind the form factor - the 1080p out of the A7s is really, really good - and better than the FS100, more headroom in the highlights and its a better low light camera. Rolling shutter is bad on the A7s, aliasing and moire are better than the FS100, DR is better as well. But keep in mind, its small and some of the functions you will have to hit the menu's. The 1080p in crop mode is really good, so your 18-105 is the perfect walkaround lens.

The FS100 is a cine camera, there are good pic profiles floating around, but nailing the colors is more difficult than with a stills/video hybrid. I still don't know where to set the knee, and I spent a lot of time shooting tests with my FS100 before I went back to a 5d3. I did the Hassleblad thing handheld too, as a rig/monitor would have made my kit pretty big to go shoulder mount.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks all for the feedback.
Decided to go with a new FS100 as the price was too hard to pass up. I do mostly video so the form factor and audio elements were a better fit for my workflow.
After receiving the FS100 last week I loved how small the form factor actually was. While bigger than my AS6000 and of course A7 it's quite a bit smaller than my EA50, with of course greater low light ability as well.

While it isn;t setup for shoulder use, I was able to handheld it rather easy, and have several compact options to shoot handheld for long periods (low profile baseplate, rods, pod support, and a shoulder stock to use if needed. I don;t like to use handles as I prefer having my hands on the camera itself, so support pod with handgrip should suffice. And if needed I have a fearless follow focus to add as well.

All in all even though the FS100 is older technology, it still suits my needs for great low light 1080 24P footage, and gives me the ability to rig it up in many fashions without the need to strap on extra stuff like audio boxes to a photo camera hybrid.
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Major Player

now they asked my if I can film a wedding this summer. Never done this before.
I have a nex-ea50 (thx Noa), sony hxr-nx3 and a panasonic hc-x920.

I would like to use my flycam (steadycam) also but with a nex-ea50 or the nx3 it's (too) heavy without a vest I'm affraid. I have a vest and arm but I'm filming solo so will not have time to do that.

Like Noa always did in his Wedding movies I like the steadycam shots wich give a more professional look to me.

So because I already have ea50 (with stocklens and a F1.8 zeiss 24mm lens) I must have somethinh "much" better than this if the lights go out. The FS100 is about 9db more sensitive in low light then my ea50.

The bride also asked me if I can take some pics? The ea50 can take some nice pictures bu the A7s can do also take pictures. Don't know if the still/picture are better?

Knowing that and having some shots with steadycam. A A7s will make more sense to me?
second hand a A7s or A FS100 here are about the same price.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I would not make it any more difficult then it needs to be, if I was you I"d use the nex-ea50 the entire day and use it to take pictures as well and then use the x920 as b-roll camera or backup camera.
F1.8 is enough for the ea50 to take it through dark venues, I have shot a wedding season with it and didn't find the need to add lights.
I"d forget about the steadicam, you will quickly find out why if you don't have any experience shooting weddings, a steadicam you add once you feel comfortable shooting weddings solo but not on your first day.
Spend more time on your audio because that will make a difference, not a floating shot. :)
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Major Player

thx Noa for the advice!
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #12
Major Player

I agree. Don't recommend using the steadicam until you are well versed with it and comfortable doing weddings. I have practiced enough for years that I use a monopod for steadicam-like shots during the ceremony and recently got a steadicam solo to take it's place. I also shoot many weddings solo and place additional cameras for more angles.

The EA50 is handy and with the push of a button can do still photos which is nice. Many weddings I've had a DSLR around my neck for stills before I had the EA50.

Another little thing I do is mount a Sony action cam to the lens hood on my main camera for an additional super wide angle. It could also serve as an emergency angle if your main camera has a problem.

I often also shoot weddings Hassleblad style in addition to overhead and all sorts of handling positions so I find the lousy form factor of the FS100/FS700 not quite as limiting as many feel. Works pretty well as long as you don't try to hold it like a traditional hand-held or shoulder mount.

Good luck!
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #13
Major Player

thx David for your advice! I have a few months left before the wedding comes. Will following yours and Noa's advice.
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Major Player

still looking to a second hand A7s or FS100. Now today I saw a second hand FS100 with only 120 hours on the meter. Price 1300 euro (1500 USD)

Only if sony accounce a new "ea50" shouldermount with better sensor I would buy that.

I'm affraid the FS100 low light will maybe not good enough or not much better then the ea50.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)