Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #376
HDV Cinema

My camera is stuck on a Fedex plane that has "mechanical problems!"

Have to wait until Thursday afternoon.'
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #377
Inner Circle

Steve, try to sleep, it's like the night before Christmas...

Myself, I'm waiting for more info and access to the a55... looks pretty good, and I've already got the old Minolta glass (which when I tested turns out to be much quieter when focusing than the later Sony plastic fantastic lenses!).
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #378
HDV Cinema

When I read about the "stiff" zoom ring I wonder if Sony has used less than max quality design/parts. A good lens should be a joy to use. But, I noticed the same stiffness with the GH1.

I guess we can't expect post WW2 Nikon quality from Sony consumer products with the yen at under 85.

PS: At least the plane didn't crash!
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #379
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
When I read about the "stiff" zoom ring I wonder if Sony has used less than max quality design/parts.
oh yes they have,and it is really stiff it also has cheap, easy to stain with fingerprints steel\ruber coffe mug look; overall I'm not impressed with the stock lens
I got the Nikon adapter on the way, then I'll see what this thing can do with the real glass, too bad IS and autofocus will be gone, so it'll be usable on the tripod only
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #380
HDV Cinema

All my stuff arrived and am starting to open now.

But, full manual operation doesn't force tripod use. I've had many movie cameras that were all manual and I had no problem hand holding. And the Nikon lenses should be sweet.
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #381
Space Hipster

Pics!!! We need pics!!
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #382
HDV Cinema

No pics yet, but I see why the zoom ring is stiff. It must drive the lens in and out about 6 inches! Very hard to turn rotary motion into in/out motion.

The focus ring is continuous and feels fine.

Got the 16mm/2.8, adaptor, 50mm/1.8, and a flash. I've got several Alpha lenses too.

In a typical livingroom with the big zoom, the exposure was perfect. With the f2.8 it would be even better and with the f/1.8 it would be as bright as day. I'm using a shutter-speed of 1/40th is is correct for 30fps.

PS: It will record for 13 hours!!!
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #383
Trustee

Well, Steve- we're all waiting with baited breath to hear the details.
I had preordered the cam, then got cold feet and cancelled, now I am tilting back the other way again.
More in due course???
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #384
Major Player

Death knell for the DSLR industry

It can probably be said that as of Thurs. 9/16/2010 people are searching for good reasons to buy the DSLR for video shoots.
Keep the news coming, Steve. We're hanging on every word.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #385
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I had preordered the cam, then got cold feet and cancelled, now I am tilting back the other way again.
I wouldn't do that, it's too expensive for a toy, you'll get better results with CX550 or HF S21/200, absence of power zoom, and IS/AF with faster lenses, makes VG10 a very special piece usable on tripod only in low light environment.
Maybe I am too demanding, but since I got VG10 i really started appreciate all other camcorders that I own.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #386
Major Player

As was hinted at earlier in this thread, it could be that the VG10 appeals to the "old timers" who remember when nothing about shooting was automated. When we see the hand-driven zooms in documentaries like "Woodstock" we get a rush.
Camcorders nowadays are so easy to use, a dog could operate one!
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #387
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I wouldn't do that, it's too expensive for a toy, you'll get better results with CX550 or HF S21/200, absence of power zoom, and IS/AF with faster lenses, makes VG10 a very special piece usable on tripod only in low light environment.
Maybe I am too demanding, but since I got VG10 i really started appreciate all other camcorders that I own.
Well, Buba, you are indeed the voice in my other ear.
I do love my CX550. It's still hard for me to believe that a $1K consumer cam could set the standard, but it really does.
When I think about buying the VG10, I make the assumption that Sony will extend this line over time, including faster E series lenses with AF, AE, IS, etc. That's when the voice of caution tells me I should just wait and see :)
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #388
Major Player

Is anybody thinking that this would work great with a Nanoflash?

I sure hope that it has uncompressed video out from the HDMI connector.
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #389
Inner Circle

Good point Ron. I know people have had great results with the CX550 HDMI out to the Nano.
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #390
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
As was hinted at earlier in this thread, it could be that the VG10 appeals to the "old timers" who remember when nothing about shooting was automated. When we see the hand-driven zooms in documentaries like "Woodstock" we get a rush.
Camcorders nowadays are so easy to use, a dog could operate one!
It's appealing because it's the first affordable large sensor HD video camera. "Old timers" has nothing to do with it. The reason there isn't a power zoom is because DSLR lenses don't have a power zoom.

I find it appealing because it offers a large sensor and interchangeable DSLR lenses, which can make for a shallow depth of field. All in a camcorder body, not a DSLR. That's why it's appealing. It has nothing to do with "old timers."

Right now, on its release date, it has no competition.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900