Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM   #586
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Webster View Post
What I learned yesterday was the variND has vignetting at the wider focal lengths and is 390.00

Instead I will try the ND fader, which requires no step up ring and is less than 100.00
The beauty of the VariNd, or ND fader WITH the step-up ring is that there is NO vignetting at the wide end of the lens.
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #587
Regular Crew

Bob, thanks so much for chiming in.

You have both filters (VariND and ND fader) and have tested them with the stock 18-200?

The ND fader acutally comes in the correct 67 mm filter size--but I would see vignetting without a step up?

What size ND fader are you using and where are you getting the step up ring, if so?

Do you see any difference in performance with VariND and ND fader?

TY, Sir

Some info here:

"Realize that the Fader ND's have a built-in step-down ring. The 77mm has 82mm front glass. The 82mm has 86mm front glass. " (Mitchell Lewis)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...nd-filter.html

Last edited by Charlie Webster; November 1st, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #588
Trustee

I have no experience with the ND Fader, but I doubt it is any thinner than the "thin" version of the VariND which comes smallest in 77mm size. So a 67-77 step up is needed anyway for the VariND.
The 67mm ND Fader may or may not be a problem. The thin version of the VariND is a little less than 2 protective (uv, daylight, etc.) filters screwed together.
You can look up the stats on the thickness of both filters.
The step up ring is a standard product (B&H, etc.), and the 77mm filter is certainly a bulletproof way to assure no vignetting. It doesn't overhang the overall lens diameter signifcantly, so there is no real downside.
Just to be clear- I do have the VariND 77mm filter and use it for all daylight shooting.
I leave the shutter at 1/60 an use the VariND to control f-stop.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #589
Regular Crew

Bob, with the 77mm VariND installed can you still fit the stock lens hood?

Thanks,
Jr. Pascual
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM   #590
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
I rarely use VF to focus; specially when I run and gun or have camera elevated high on tripod As I said I have EX1 with same LCD and it is impossible to forcus in HD without peaking or expanded focus (specially with such a shallow dept of fileld).
I wouldn't say one can't focus using the LCD. I just put my eyes only a few inches from it.

And, I guess I've never thought of putting a camera on a tripod higher than my eyes as I knew I couldn't see the VF. I suppose I'd stand on a box.

What did you do before pro camcorders had LCDs?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM   #591
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Pascual View Post
Bob, with the 77mm VariND installed can you still fit the stock lens hood?

Thanks,
Jr. Pascual
No.
Even if you were able to jury rig it, you would then not be able to get to the ND filter ring to adjust it.
That is one downside to using the variable ND filters, circular polarizers, etc.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #592
Regular Crew

Well both the nex-5 and the vg10 came last nite, along with all three current emount lenses.

First impressions:

Build: big contrast. Nex-5 outstanding build quality- metal body. VG10, lighter and smaller than I expected, but I'll give a 4 out of 10 in build. Very "Plasticky". Tripod mount is better on the NEX-5 than the VG10, where it's plasticky also. Slight lens play with 18-200, as noted by others. The zoom ring is ridiculously tight--hoping it will loosen up. This makes smooth hand-held zooms quite hard, but it's fine on a monopod. Useable in event circumstances--where the 18-200 would be a must alot of the time.

The Nex-5 is incredible--almost a "must-have". I whipped on a pentax 50mm 1.4 circa 1970, and the manual controls were superb. focus was easy. iris adjustments show right away. This thing is a manual lens machine. The 16mm is a good lens also. Fast AF.

Low-light--great with any fast prime on either camera of course. This thing shoots iso 3200 with little grain. In video modes you can go high with the gain. The 18-200 is acceptable--on first look it's not way off my PD170 w/ wide adapter.

My Lecia M adapter comes later this week, can't wait to try the 28, 50 and 90 I've borrowed.

I also have a Kiron 28 f2 coming. A 50mm is like a 75, so the 24 to 44mm primes will be especially useful.

In summary: I'd be in heaven if the build on the VG10 approached the PD170, but it's not close. They should have put another 200 into the case. It does fit in the hand well. It will do, I think.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM   #593
Trustee

Quote:
In summary: I'd be in heaven if the build on the VG10 approached the PD170, but it's not close. They should have put another 200 into the case. It does fit in the hand well. It will do, I think.
Hmmm...
I've used the VG10 quite a bit over the last month or so, and I'm actually pretty satisfied with the build quality of the body. The little T-handle is very solid, the inclusion of an HD VF (same as on the EX1r, I believe) is excellent, handgrip is nicely done. The tripod mount is not good, but there is already a workaround for that (remove the metal plate and epoxy the screw recepticle to the plate), and the microphone assembly is priceless.
For a $1,200 body it seems to be more than on a par with other Sony products in that price range- like the CX550- except the VF on the CX is very lo rez, and the microphone is only mildly adequate.
Don't forget that the PD 170 was significantly more expensive when it was first released (I'm remembering, like $3K), plus you can add a few more dollars to cover inflation since then.
We'll see how you feel when you get a few miles on it :)
BTW, the zoom ring definitely loosens up with use.
The VG10 is a consumer level product, but to me it seems very solidly built, and cleverly designed for what it is, and what it costs.
You'll have fun with it.

Last edited by Robert Young; November 4th, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #594
Regular Crew

rgr that Bob, glad to hear it's holding up well.

Let me ask you another question:

Can you feel the 18-200 move at the mount as you change zoom direction? I can. It's not "loose" but it does rotate very slighty and hit a stop in either direction when rotational force is applied.

When I switch the lens to my Nex-5 I get the same thing, so it does seem to be a characteristic of the lens. This has also been commented on by several users at the vimeo forum, with one guy actually going to a store and trying several copies-- each seeming to have this same little quirk.

TY again sir.
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #595
Regular Crew

If there's already a thread on this, I apologize and feel free to provide a link, but I just purchased the VG10, and I was wondering if there was any advantage to purchasing the LA-EA1 A-mount adapter and A-mount lenses. I've read that you can now use autofocus with A-mount lenses with the firmware upgrade for the adapter, but that the autofocus is quite slow. If others have the A-mount adapter with an A-mount lens, can you give any input on the speed vs. the E-mount lens included?

Also, does anyone know if the A-mount adapter would allow the autofocus to work with the Tamron Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens in the link below; it's similar to the Sony version but $300 cheaper?

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #596
Trustee

Quote:
Can you feel the 18-200 move at the mount as you change zoom direction? I can. It's not "loose" but it does rotate very slighty and hit a stop in either direction when rotational force is applied.
Yes.
It moves about the same amount as my Nikon lenses do on my Nikon D300 body.
I think it's probably normal for interchangable lenses.
IMO, this is not a camera that is well suited for any fancy zoom shots. I think it's going to be creep in a bit, or creep out a bit, but not much more than that.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #597
Regular Crew

Current VG10 users: do you miss a peaking and zebra stripes-function? Some Dutch reviewers found this quite serious omissions in this otherwise very good cam.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #598
Trustee

Peaking and zebras would be great, but they are not typically available on consumer cams. So, not a big surprise that the VG10 doesn't have them.
I think the autoexposure system is quite competant, and the LCD image is high quality enough that I can make exposure adjustments based on what I can see.
The more serious issue IMO, is the lack of focus assist, like peaking, or expanded focus.
The DOF of this camera, even at mid range f-stops, is significantly shallow. So accurate focusing is a serious issue.
One clever feature that helps a bit- when in AF mode, if you press the "photo" button, the camera will refocus and light up the sensors it is using- so you can see what the camera is actually focusing on in the frame. If this feature were available in MF mode, it would be even more useful. Perhaps this could somehow be activated via a firmware update.
Another workaround is to zoom in a bit on the subject with MF, make the critical focus, then reframe the scene.
But, however you deal with it, critical focus is a major issue on large chip cameras, and having some sort of onboard effective focus aids would be a big help.
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #599
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Peaking and zebras would be great, but they are not typically available on consumer cams. So, not a big surprise that the VG10 doesn't have them.
Like the Sony HDR-HC9 (zebras) and Canon HF-S200/20/21 (zebras+peaking).
I rather think even an upper level consumer camera should have at least one, and preferably both.
I use zebras all the time on the HDR-HC9.

I'm just starting to get familiar with the HF-S200, so I can't say much on that yet.
But those features are very much there.

Given the body price of the NEX-VG10 is $1200 vs. the Canon HF-S200 at $740, the HF-S21 at $1100, that's embarrassing.
Just my opinion.
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #600
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Like the Sony HDR-HC9 (zebras) and Canon HF-S200/20/21 (zebras+peaking).
I rather think even an upper level consumer camera should have at least one, and preferably both.
I use zebras all the time on the HDR-HC9.
Good points.
I definitely stand corrected.
Sony did have zebras on the SR-12, but dropped them from the subsequent models.
Who knows why Sony is so stingy about this- seems like it would be just a software type of issue to include these features.
But, nonetheless, the current crop of Sony consumer cams don't have them, so, although I was disappointed, I wasn't really suprised by their absence in the VG10.

Last edited by Robert Young; November 8th, 2010 at 01:14 AM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900