Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #331
HDV Cinema

This guy teaches video production?

Of course there is tons of DOF -- if he has correctly locked the shutter to 1/40th (mid-way between 1/30th and 1/60th) the aperture must be nearly closed!

You have to use a high density ND to get the aperture down to f/4.

I suspect either he doesn't understand DOF or he didn't want to reveal that a ND will be needed.

I would expect we will soon see dozens of similar movies. Either there will be huge DOF or they will lock the aperture and then shutter speed will go to 1/4000th and the video will strobe badly.

Everyone will blame the camera.

The German review has a problem with talking about ND. They say there is no ND. Do they mean there is no ND switch or have they tested every speed and aperture combination to confirm an ND filter isn't automatically inserted.

They also want VU meters and gain controls. If the camera doesn't have gain controls then it has either an AGC or a limiter. They don't test to which it has.

If it has AGC it doesn't need meters because the camera is controlling gain.

And since the majority of those in the market will use the built-in mic -- and its sensitivity is matched to the camera, even if there is only a limiter one doesn't need to see it doing its work.

If one uses external mics then one should be listening with headphones to see if there is hum, noise, static, etc -- all of which meters will NOT show.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #332
Trustee

I thought that the low light shots looked promising.
Presumably done with the f 3.5 E Lens.
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM   #333
Regular Crew

A review is posted on the Luminous Landscape site

Sony NEX VG-10 Camcorder Review
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM   #334
Trustee

That's a good review. When you look at some of the missing features that are even incorporated in the NEX-5, you've got to believe they are carving our 'feature space' for a pro version of this camera. I hope that is the case. The VG10 is missing too many important features to use as a pro camera. I can't fault Sony if that is their plan. It's actually good to bracket the market with price / performance choices.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:16 AM   #335
Regular Crew

But holy wow, what $2000 camcorder has no zebras, focus assist, audio gain controls with meters, or XLR input?

All but the XLRs are have been standard on sub-$1000 camcorders for years.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #336
Regular Crew

I used the camera for a short time today.

It was weird zooming it with the stiff manual zoom ring. It was front heavy and the autofocus was slow but the image was pretty and the price is right!
It is exciting to witness the start of this revolution first hand!

Bring it on Canon
Attached Thumbnails
Sony NEX-VG10 AVCHD E-Mount Lens Camcorder-nex-vg10.jpg  

Last edited by Laurence Janus; August 22nd, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #337
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Therault View Post
But holy wow, what $2000 camcorder has no zebras, focus assist, audio gain controls with meters, or XLR input?

All but the XLRs are have been standard on sub-$1000 camcorders for years.
I know everybody wants to compare these features on other camcorders to the VG10. But let's be fair - how many other $2,000 camcorders have interchangeable DSLR lenses, a very large sensor, very good nat sound mikes and AVCHD 24mbps recording? The answer is - none. Zero, zip.

That's the idea. This is a whole new category of camcorders, and as for right now, the VG10 stands alone. It will require you to re-think how you approach video acquisition. Oh, soon there will be more advanced models with more professional features, and higher prices. But until then, as Laurence said, this is the beginning of a video camera revolution. Enjoy the ride.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #338
Regular Crew

Giddyap... Giddyap!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #339
New Boot

The more I am reading about the vg-10 the more I'm thinking about waiting to see what's going to come out next. Has anyone heard anymore release rumors?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #340
Trustee

I agree. Sony crippled it too much. There are too many video camera features that have been left off. I'm afraid it would it would be a PITA to do any serious work with.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #341
Space Hipster

Oh, I don't know. I bet I could make some pretty pictures with this camera. I believe it would make a nice, affordable b-cam.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #342
Regular Crew

I wish I had this cam when I was at yellowstone last week to test it out. The zoom feature is what has my attention provided the picture is better than the latest Sony consumer cams. Definitely not a pro cam but as posted earlier, this is sony's test to see if it will sell, get feedback, and go from there. I plan on taking a chance and pre ordering in a few weeks through B&H. I emailed them about the pre order and was told they did order a good amount of them. Just hope I won't be disappointed.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #343
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
I agree. Sony crippled it too much. There are too many video camera features that have been left off. I'm afraid it would it would be a PITA to do any serious work with.
I think you have to define what you mean by work. If you do a lot of zooming it's not going to work for you. (And, you know you shouldn't be zooming anyway.) But, I can't see anything else that is going to give you a problem!

If you set up each shot -- zoom all the way in so so you can manual focus and then reframe, you only need to set exposure. That's just a matter of dialing in the aperture.

Sound complicated?

Well in the days when folks shot film that's what we did for EVERY shot. In fact we also had to turn the turret to select one of three lenses. And, we had to take a light meter reading.

We also had to hand wind the spring motor.

Given the huge volume of WORK produced on 16mm film, most of it far more memorable than 90% of the stuff shot on camcorders -- it seems absurd to claim you can't get work done.

This is a film camera. Use a light meter and forget zebras. If you really find the AGC a problem -- and I'll bet you will NOT -- than shoot separate system with a tiny digital recorder. Remember, all the classic film were shot with cameras that recorded NO audio!

PS: why would anyone use exposure compensation? Take a light meter reading and dial in the f-stop. If the histogram doesn't look right, teak the aperture. There are only 4 things you need to control exposre and the Sony gives you control of all four. Exposure compensation is video toy.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #344
Trustee

Steve, I'll just make a couple of points to clarify what I mean. Regarding exposure, film has more latitude and can handle exposure variations somewhat better than video cams can. Judicious use of zebras is very helpful especially in event shooting where it is common to have substantial changes in lighting in various scenes. An outdoor event in mixed lighting can easily have a four or five f-stop variation in lighting from one shot perspective to another if there is mixed sun and shade. I'm sorry, but zebras appropriately used are very useful for a professional shooter. I agree with you about exposure compensation. I feel it's actually dangerous and a great way to screw up shots. In my opinion it is for consumer point and shoot cameras only.

Peaking is also very useful. It's even more important with a camera that has a shallow depth of field. When covering an event such as a wedding, you need to be in focus - right now, when you move the camera from one subject to another or the subject moves toward or away from you. You can't do the zoom-in bit to focus and then reframe your shot; you're shooting a live event in real time! Why don't you try shouting "cut" at a wedding so the camera operator can adjust focus and let us know how it worked out for you. When you're doing follow focus of a moving subject like a bride walking down the aisle toward you, peaking is a gift from above. Auto focus is useless and dangerous. It is very likely to focus on the background rather than the subject which ruins the shot. The 'back-in-the-day' boys often had focus pullers as well - plus these types of shots were preplanned so the focus puller would know where to make the focus changes. You could spend all day for just a few minutes of footage. Try that at a wedding sometime!

Finally, the VG10's controls are located under the LCD when it is closed. When you are shooting with the viewfinder, the only way to get at the controls is to open the LCD which turns off the viewfinder. That's another 'thriller' when you're doing a real time event shoot. Sony should add a menu selection that allows the viewfinder to stay on whether or not the LCD is open or closed. My EX1R allows that and I find it very useful.

I appreciate your experience with film cameras but please don't use that to critique present-day shooting applications with the tools that we have to work with now. Peace.

Last edited by Jim Snow; August 23rd, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM   #345
Regular Crew

The ability to shoot with both the viewfinder and lcd on is something that Sony relegates to its pro level camcorders while with their consumer level camcorders, it's either one or the other. The Z1, V1,A1, Z5, Z7, EX1 all allow both the lcd and viewfinder to used at the same time. But with the FX1, HC1, HC3, HC7, FX7, FX1000 , you are limited to only the lcd or viewfinder, but not both at the same time. Since the VG10 is part of the Handycam consumer line, the option to use the lcd and the viewfinder both at the same time won't be there. Another reason many of us are wishing, hoping, and waiting for a pro level version of the VG10.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900