DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   VG10 Autofocus - Photos Versus Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/487358-vg10-autofocus-photos-versus-video.html)

Jim Snow November 11th, 2010 10:34 AM

VG10 Autofocus - Photos Versus Video

I'm not clear on the differences in auto focus functionality in the VG10 between photo and video modes. In video mode, does it offer facial recognition and touch screen? Will it lock on and track a face? I have seen so much wandering focus DSLR footage and frankly, it looks pretty shabby. . This is a significant shortcoming except for the most skilled of shooters with DSLR cameras. Even then, they blow it sometimes. I'm just wondering if the VG10 offers any meaningful ways to deal with wandering focus. The shallow depth of field makes controlling focus a much more critical issue with large sensor cameras.

Steve Mullen November 12th, 2010 06:02 PM

I've found that if I use the VF I can get great MF once I set the diaopitor to the center of my varifocal glasses.

I can use the LCD only if I hold it so I see it through the bottom of my varifocal glasses OR I take my glasses off and bring the LCD close.

In other words, I've not found a problem with the VG10 itself.

I haven't used AF all that much, but there is a trick. Press the shutter button before starting shooting and the camera runs through the entire focus range and then returns to the best focus.

Only if the subject stays in the middle 2/3rds can you count on AF.

Charlie Webster November 15th, 2010 09:42 PM

I was filming horseback riders today passing in front and behind each other. I was shocked at how well the AF handled it (video). I was in A mode with the stops open for shallow DOF. Once in awhile it would get it wrong but that was rare. With practice you can quickly switch to MF (two clicks), and take over. Let's dream the firmware will give us a single click switch.

In short I frank can't imagine a better AF for shallow DOF, but then others have more experience.

Oh yeah, it's silent.

The LCD is super sharp so MF is good there. I never use EVFs myself. Coming from years with PD170.

One caveat: it was bright outdoors. I have not tested AF in lower light yet, but then when it gets real low I'll using fast primes MF.

Steve Mullen November 30th, 2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1587082)
In video mode, does it offer facial recognition and touch screen? Will it lock on and track a face?

Forgot to answer -- no it doesn't.

Robert Young December 1st, 2010 02:15 AM

I use auto focus frequently with good results. I've noticed that the AF is slow to shift to another focal distance. As a result, I don't see as much "seeking" behavior that ruins a lot of AF shots.
Here is a sample clip of a very cluttered, fast moving field of bikers where the AF stays on my target even though it slips off center, becomes briefly obscured by foreground action, etc.I've used a couple of freeze frames so you can easily see the focal plane at different times in the shot
Steve makes the good point to push the "photo" button at the beginning of the shot to be sure the camera is focusing in the desired plane. Once there, it seems pretty stable until you decisively move to another subject and hold on it- the cam will then gently refocus to the new distance.