looking hard at the VG10 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #46
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
I'm amused to think how you might have coped in the days of 16mm.

As a fellow EX1 user, the VG10 is another tool for the toolbox. The lack of focus assist is pain but not a killer. This isn't a run and gun camera like the EX1. Each shot takes time to setup. You have to compose the shot, check and double check. You'll get wonderful results, but unlike the EX1 those results may not be quick.
You told it very well. Each shot is set-up. And, can be repeated for multiple takes.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the LCD. It is big and high-rez. It does not work well with veri-focal glasses. But, the VF really is very nice

Now about audio. Lets assume we have a loud guy on channel 1 and a low-talker on channel 2. In terms of DIGITAL recording, there is no need to not simply allow the difference. The lower signal can peak at -20dB while the loud can peak at -6dB. Digital couldn't care. It's simply numbers. There is no strength or weakness! This is why digital is so great. The numbers can get screwed-up either. Any noise is introduced by the analog stage before the A/D converted. From this point until you view the movie it is all numbers.

In post ,you adjust the numbers to be more equal.
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I'm not sure what the deal is with the LCD. It is big and high-rez. It does not work well with veri-focal glasses. But, the VF really is very nice.
I do believe the LCD and the VF are close, if not the same, as the EX1r. The specs are certainly similar- around 1 megapixel for both.
P.S.- I think it is not the LCD that doesn't work with your glasses, but rather the glasses that don't work well with the LCD :)
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
give me honest answer: filming with VG10 and using camera's [horrible] LCD can you tell what's in focus in your shot. honestly. I am using EX1 and maybe I am spoiled by its LCD and tons of info displayed on screen but I know one thing for sure I am doing this for living and I MUST be sure if my shot is focused properly.
The LCD is similar (possibly a different screen coating), the VF certainly isn't the same unless they've done a bizarre downgrade on the EX1R. The VG10 VF has a lack of resolution and has that thing that LED stage lights sometimes suffer from that of you move your head or blink, you can see Red, Green and Blue suddenly appearing from nowhere.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #49
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
It's not a question of how easy it would be for Sony to offer more features. It's about how they percieve the need to slice and dice the marketplace so that they do not cut their own throat.
We know Pana limited the data rate of the Gh1 because folks hacked it. Then, Pana locked the code so you can't make the camera better.

But, there are a few firmware changes that would not give away the store. For example you can hold down the shutter button in MF. Why not activate the FA by pressing the shutter button when in AF.

And, the FOCUS button should simply TOGGLE between MF and AF.

These don't seem like marketing decisions. These are more like sloppy design.

Also, does anyone think it odd it hasn't been reviewed in any video magazines?

I get the sense the whole NEX line was rushed. But, the 3 and 5 are sure selling!
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #50
Major Player

My first Nikon prime arrived this morning.

My goodness, how much easier it is to focus with a proper focus barrel. Had no trouble pulling focus to exactly where I wanted it and can hit the spot every single time.

If Sony are expecting professionals to use the e-mount lenses in the (unreleased) higher cameras, they might have tough time. A freely rotating focus barrel that gives no feel or indication of what the hell it is doing is just dreadful. 10 minutes with a Nikon is a different world. Yes the mechanisms aren't as smooth as I'd like for video but hitting the spot with the focus is so so much easier.

For those complaining about focus, ditch those Sony lenses and go and buy something decent guys. From what I've seen so far shooting is worlds apart.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #51
HDV Cinema

That was exactly my feeling when I used a Sony alpha lens. My god it felt so good. Rack focus was ez!

Of course, the mechanical feel created noise that was recorded. Still, unless one focused during shot, that is not a problem. Or, if one used an external mic, which is likely.

And herein lies the problem. I want to use old REAL lenses, yet so much of the camera function is tied into the electrical connections.

Please describe which mount you bought, and step by step how you set the aperture dot focus and how you set it for shooting.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #52
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I do believe the LCD and the VF are close, if not the same, as the EX1r. The specs are certainly similar- around 1 megapixel for both.
P.S.- I think it is not the LCD that doesn't work with your glasses, but rather the glasses that don't work well with the LCD :)
And that leads to my very old eyes,
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #53
Major Player

Just in case you are not familiar with XR550V here is what difference 0.5" would make. see pict. (this screen is used by Sony in cheeper!!!! XR550V and believe me it is sweet). It would make big difference for all of us. I have XR500, 520 and 550V among seven other Sony cameras (I am Sony guy) so I followed progression Sony made with "500 line" models. How surprise I was when I opened the box and saw much smaller LCD. Anyway, I am happy that 3" LCD is fine for you while shooting HD. Wow! I rest my case.
Attached Thumbnails
looking hard at the VG10-dsc01325.jpg  
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #54
Inner Circle

It strikes me that not having focus assist and shrinking the LCD on the VG10 may have been on purpose. Without focus assist, it's much easier to shoot the blurry footage that DSLRs are known for. You know the shot, starts blurry, the op racks razor thin focus back and forth to ensure the subject is in focus at some point...Yeah. that's it. jk jk ;-)

Last edited by Les Wilson; December 15th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #55
Major Player

Les....are you sure what are you talking about....?????
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #56
Major Player

Marius,

Thank you for the photo, but I think that a straight overhead shot not involving diminishing perspective would have been more helpful ;)
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Marius, it was an attempt at humor. I could no longer resist.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #58
Major Player

Henry,
I tried to be objective and aligned the edges of the screens; common sense would be best helper here [one screen is 3" the other one 3.5"] just figure it out.
Les, I have these both cameras now and believe me in real life shooting having that extra 0.5" larger screen is helping big time but as I said before I don't care anymore since I am returning it back to the store.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
That was exactly my feeling when I used a Sony alpha lens. My god it felt so good. Rack focus was ez!

Of course, the mechanical feel created noise that was recorded. Still, unless one focused during shot, that is not a problem. Or, if one used an external mic, which is likely.

And herein lies the problem. I want to use old REAL lenses, yet so much of the camera function is tied into the electrical connections.

Please describe which mount you bought, and step by step how you set the aperture dot focus and how you set it for shooting.
It was an E-Mount to Nikon adaptor from Ebay. There are lots of retailers selling them. Setup was straightforward, it just bolts onto the camera as a lens would.

The camera functions tied to the lenses are only really for the amateur crowd, so I don't feel I'm losing anything. Having to adjust aperture using buttons is a total joke. The noise from the focus isn't a problem because I would never use an onboard mic anyway. Even the Z1 and EX1 pick up noise from their zoom mechanisms from time to time if you use their onboards.

In short I'll be buying more Nikon Primes. The loss of camera functions isn't a problem and all I am after is a good visual look. The camera handles beautifully with Nikon attached and there are none of the DSLR ergonomic problems.

People who find the screen a problem might want to see if Hoodman have a solution available.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #60
HDV Cinema

There are so many on eBay. Which did you buy?

And, can you tell me how you set aperture?

Some old lenses have an aperture ring, some don't.

Adaptive for the first work differently from the second.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900