DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   Sony discloses E-mount specs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/491396-sony-discloses-e-mount-specs.html)

Charlie Webster February 7th, 2011 11:51 PM

Sony discloses E-mount specs

"Sony Corporation announced today it will disclose the basic specifications of its “E-mount” for interchangeable single lens cameras, without fee, to manufacturers of lenses and mount adaptors, starting April 1st, 2011. This was previously confirmed at the photokina press conference – now they have revealed that Carl Zeiss AG, Cosina, Sigma and Tamron will all be working on the E-mount system as independent lens makers.

“This opens the way for manufacturers of various lenses and mount adaptors to effectively develop products conforming to “E-mount” specifications”, say Sony.

“Users of the Sony’s NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-VG10 and other E-mount compatible Sony digital imaging products to be launched in the future will now be able to use interchangeable lenses from both Sony and various other manufactures, while they will also be able to attach non-Sony lenses to their Sony digital imaging products via a mount adapter. Sony believes the growth of digital imaging products employing the “E-mount” will further increase the enjoyment of photography and video shooting among an even wider range of users.

“These basic specifications will be disclosed to manufactures of lenses and mount adaptors following a predefined process of approval and the signing a license agreement with Sony.

“As of today, the decision to disclose basic specifications of the E-mount has been endorsed by the following companies.”

(there follow these manufacturer statements)

Carl Zeiss AG

As an independent lens provider, Carl Zeiss welcomes the disclosure of the E-mount specifications by Sony. It helps manufacturer’s product development, benefits customers and therefore assists in establishing E-mount as a new, healthy and strong system on the market.

Cosina Co., Ltd.

Cosina Co., Ltd is excited by the potential of Sony’s E-mount which enables to a large-size image sensor to be incorporated in a compact, interchangeable lens camera. We have high expectations for the E-mount with its aims to create a new photography culture, and express its assent to Sony’s decision to provide information related to E-mount.

Sigma Corporation

Sigma Corporation fully supports Sony’s decision to disclose basic E-mount specifications. We believe this move will spur the further growth and diversification of camera system across the industry, provide photo enthusiasts with a wealth of choice and enrich in their photographic lifestyles.

Tamron Co., Ltd.

Tamron Co., Ltd endorses Sony’s decision to disclose basic E-mount specifications. We aim to offer our customers new solutions and unprecedented photo-shooting enjoyment through the manufacture and sale of E-mount lenses."

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/...-co...-mount-future/

Henry Williams February 8th, 2011 09:34 AM

Excellent new indeed!

I just got this 35mm lens which goes straight on without adaptor.

SLR Magic Objektiv 35mm f/1.7 für Sony NEX E-Bajonett kaufen im Enjoyyourcamera.com Shop

Seems robustly built for a cheap lens and apparently it's surprisingly handy, if a little soft. Will shoot some test footage asap and get it posted online.

Les Wilson February 8th, 2011 07:05 PM

Then again.....

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/carl-zeis...ard-group.html

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2011 07:16 PM

Thread title changed from "Big news" to "Sony discloses E-mount specs."

Please avoid ambiguous thread titles on this site. Thanks,

Steve Mullen February 8th, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Williams (Post 1615775)
Excellent new indeed!

I just got this 35mm lens which goes straight on without adaptor.

SLR Magic Objektiv 35mm f/1.7 für Sony NEX E-Bajonett kaufen im Enjoyyourcamera.com Shop

Seems robustly built for a cheap lens and apparently it's surprisingly handy, if a little soft. Will shoot some test footage asap and get it posted online.

That's a really fast normal lens!

Remember, that in most every case, what they say is only true for photos: "Focus and f-stop have to be adjusted manually at the lens. The corresponding shutter speed you can either choose manually or it is reckoned by the camera in AV mode."

When shooting video, you'll need to use the lenses aperture dial to obtain the shutter speed you want. Looking forward to report and samples.

Ario Narendro February 9th, 2011 01:03 AM

wooww, such a great news! hohoho there will be lot of lens variants..:D
will be watching for news updates..

Henry Williams February 9th, 2011 04:33 AM

SLR Magic 35 1.7 Lens review on the Sony NEX-5 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Here's a much better review of the magic lens than I could manage. I couldn't find any decent video though. If the lens arrives before I have to go up to Chinatown I'll make like a tourist and get some footage to post later.

Henry Williams February 9th, 2011 10:38 AM

Just been shooting with the lens. First thoughts: it's built pretty solidly, bokeh is beautiful and circular at f1.7. DoF is fairly jaw dropping. Apparently there's touch of vignetting at this aperture but not something I noticed. Maybe I'll see it in the edit. It's definitely an "effect" lens - there's blurring as you move out from the centre of the frame, but I rather like it. Could create some interesting interview shots. Will need to get a 37mm variable nd before I can shoot anything in bright sunshine. Only potential flaw I can see is a slight zoom when you pull focus through the full range from 30cm -infinity. Definitely happy with my purchase so far.